Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2023, 06:37 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,795,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _WhyYouMadTho_ View Post
Just remember, corporations are not people. So the government should always be used to control corporations. Not corporations controlling government, which is what we have right now.
No. Government and corporations should both stay in their own lanes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2023, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
The covid response by the government was a disaster. So are subs and space ships that implode or explode. Lets keep it on topic. I hate when these threads get closed because two people go on and on about nothing.

Governments certify these sorts of vessels. The ones certified have not imploded like this one. So perhaps they know what they are doing. To say the gov't screwed up on covid so therefore they have no cred regarding subs is ludicrous.
Not really. Both Covid and Subs are very complex. And it's not exactly a secret that the government repeatedly lied to the people, falsified statistics and literally none of what they said came true. THAT goes to their credibility. The fact that none of the people involved in perpetrating this fraud on the American People were fired or prosecuted further goes to their credibility or lack thereof. It's not a stretch to say if the government lied on the former, they would lie on the latter.

Their inability to deliver on basic services like passports or mail does hurt their credibility regarding subs however (both the sandwich and the machine)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I think people have the right to hop on board whatever they want. There is more than enough info online to make an informed decision. The little bit I looked into to me, proved you have to be crazy to go on this guys sub. But I could care less about the Titanic. No desire to see it up close. Some people its the most important thing and they are fine with the risk. Let them at it.
Agreed. The only role the government has here is to ensure that an uncertified sub is not being falsely advertised as certified.

Old 06-24-2023, 06:41 PM

4,557 posts, read 3,759,636 times
Government regulations will only make it dumber. You should know the risks if you want to travel to space or the oceans. Many people have gone on Space tourism and have gotten to see the curvature of the Earth and where the space begins, the "sky" blackens. I think that is an amazing trip. If you want to take the risk, go ahead.

Maybe these pioneers will improve space travel and it will also become cheaper for others.

Making up crazy rules for space travel is not necessary because you don't NEED to got to space. But they better make sure they are following the rules for my Boeing 737 or Airbus A320 because I do need to travel around across the Earth.

Old 06-24-2023, 06:48 PM

30,175 posts, read 11,815,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
Not really. Both Covid and Subs are very complex. And it's not exactly a secret that the government repeatedly lied to the people, falsified statistics and literally none of what they said came true. THAT goes to their credibility.
Like I said the gov't screwed up on covid. And they screw up on lots of things. I have no problem with them certifying vessels. But let people decide if it matters or not. Don't make it. Its not certified so you cannot do the dive.

Quote:
Plus, their inability to deliver on basic services like passports or mail does hurt their credibility regarding subs however (both the sandwich and the machine)

Agreed. The only role the government has here is to ensure that an uncertified sub is not being falsely advertised as certified.
I sell online. I know how badly USPS can mess things up. I agree with you. If a sub says its certified it needs to be. If its not buyer beware. Let people decide. I posted in the original sub forum the story done by CBS Sunday morning who sent a reporter to the sub. It seemed like the sub was poorly put together. They kind of joked about it. There were all these red flags. Yet a CBS reporter did the dive (I imagine they most be greatly relieved they survived it).

Old 06-24-2023, 06:53 PM

Quote:
But government should be the barrier between corpos and the well being of people.
False. The government causes greater harm to the well being of the people than corporations.

The vast majority of Americans are both employed by and are shareholders of corporations. And consume their products and services. What does the government have to offer besides setting your money on fire?

Old 06-24-2023, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Corporations lobby the government to remove social safety nets, keep wages low and remove regulations that protect ordinary citizens.

You can thank the government for helping to reduce smog, strong arming industries from polluting. Yea there are kinks but they government is what helps keep us from a Bladerunner style ultra capitalist dystopia.

We’re still heading there because capitalism pretty much runs the government.

When it comes to government oppression, capitalists see it as oppression from doing what they want at the expense of ordinary people.

Regular People see government operation in the form of police forces that work at behalf of corporations.

We just had a recent submarine incident that lacked regulations. The CEO pretty much saw safety regulations as oppressive. Bet he was anti-government regulation.

Wonder what he thinks of deregulation now? Oh wait, he can’t. Because he’s fish food.
Your assertions are entirely false. Despite their flaws, corporations have done more to advance my economic welfare than any government has ever done.

Government has done nothing but steal from me in the name of "social safety net" or some such nonsense. Why the hell would I trust you, the only economic entity on earth utterly incapable of balancing your own budget, with my money?

Old 06-24-2023, 07:17 PM

Quote:
May I ask how?
Look in your 401k.

Old 06-24-2023, 07:20 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,114,806 times
Quote:
I still got Covid.

What it prevented was getting a severe case of Covid and hospitalization.
There’s no way you can know that. You’re buying what the govt is selling.

Old 06-24-2023, 08:40 PM

16,560 posts, read 10,643,864 times
Quote:
False. The government causes greater harm to the well being of the people than corporations.

The vast majority of Americans are both employed by and are shareholders of corporations. And consume their products and services. What does the government have to offer besides setting your money on fire?
Well, someone's gotta hire all those Gender Studies graduates.

Old 06-24-2023, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Well, someone's gotta hire all those Gender Studies graduates.
No one's part of that someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies