Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2023, 04:24 PM

1,397 posts, read 677,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Imagine if the Wright brothers gave up because their first flight attempt crashed. I am sure there were some retards who saw that failure as proof that flying wasn't safe.

But luckily for us, the pioneers of science and technology didn't give up because of early failures. The found solutions to make their products safer.

Similarly the failure of this sub will result in better and safer subs in the future.
I told Orville and I told Wilbur, that thing will never fly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2023, 04:45 PM

16,568 posts, read 10,653,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
The engineer who called out the design was rewarded by being fired.
This sort of thing happens from time to time. Some years ago, there was a guy building a huge department store in Seoul, South Korea. He wanted to reduce the number of load-bearing pylons because they took up floor space. The engineer warned that doing so would weaken the structure and possibly lead to collapse, and yep, he was fired. The building was duly built with fewer pylons. A few years later, it collapsed, killing hundreds of people.

I wish there were some way to find out when someone gets fired for noticing safety flaws. That, right there, would ensure that I would never step foot in whatever was being built.

Old 06-24-2023, 04:48 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 12 days ago)

35,640 posts, read 17,994,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
Actually, YES.... Wilbur was taking tourists up in Europe as early as 1908.
I don't believe that was the Kitty Hawk. That plane, in 1908, I believe had a patent and had been tested more thoroughly and was deemed safe. Much beyond their first attempt, the Kitty Hawk.

Old 06-24-2023, 04:50 PM

6,692 posts, read 2,986,541 times
Their money. Go for it.

This is the kind of 'early adaptor' crowd we need to work out all the bugs. It wasn't in vain.

Safer trips to the depths for studying. mabe find some weird fish that cures cancer or baldness.
Safer trips to labs in space to learn about the universe without all the Earth noise.

Godspeed!

Old 06-24-2023, 05:02 PM

1,397 posts, read 677,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I don't believe that was the Kitty Hawk. That plane, in 1908, I believe had a patent and had been tested more thoroughly and was deemed safe. Much beyond their first attempt, the Kitty Hawk.
And the analogy doesn't stand.

Neither airplanes (even the early models from the first couple decades of the 20th century) or submersibles are inherently dangerous.

Alot of aviation deaths have occurred, but that is a normal part of developing technology. People still die in car crashes and automobiles are only nominally older than the airplane.

The problem with Titan is that its builder took shortcuts. A window not rated for the depth and a carbon fiber hull likely sealed its fate.

Apart from that, my objection is not to deep sea diving, but to where they were going.

Titanic is a gravesite and it is different than a surface cemetery. Those places are specially built as both places of internment and memorial. Titanic was not intended to end up at its resting place. People recovered from the sea were buried on shore and there are memorials on both sides of the Atlantic.

She rests on the bottom as a warning against hubris.

Leave her and the spirits alone.

Old 06-24-2023, 05:17 PM

7,649 posts, read 8,720,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
So what do you think? Should the government step in and say these highly dangerous "tourist" activities should not be allowed or can people freely decide what they can and cannot do and perhaps some sort of warning so people fully understand things can go very wrong. Personally I think let people decide.
Government doesn't necessarily (often doesn't) know what's best for us. It told us to get COVID vaccines.

Old 06-24-2023, 05:24 PM

17,440 posts, read 14,675,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _WhyYouMadTho_ View Post
The vaccine conspiracies are so old already. I thought we were supposed to drop dead in like 2 years or something.
And I thought the covid vaccines were supposed to prevent getting and transmitting covid.

Old 06-24-2023, 05:25 PM

30,184 posts, read 11,821,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Sorry, the government should have 0 say on what people want to do freely. Because we all know it won't stop with submarines and space craft.
As I stated I agree with you.

Old 06-24-2023, 05:30 PM

Quote:
I still got Covid.

What it prevented was getting a severe case of Covid and hospitalization.
You responded to a previous poster saying that they government doesn't know what's best for us.

The government mandated vaccines based on the outright lie that it prevented transmission.

Telling someone to do something that will not work is not what's best for you.

(Also, I'm not vaccinated and I got covid too. It wasn't severe, I didn't die and I wasn't hospitalized - just like your vaccinated self.)

Old 06-24-2023, 05:36 PM

Quote:
It worked. I mean I’m not wearing masks anymore and social distancing is pretty much done.

We’re the mandates fed or state level?
It didn't work. I also almost never wore a mask or socially distanced.

The mandates I'm speaking of were on a federal level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies