Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 12:01 PM

994 posts, read 1,544,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I may have misunderstood you.

I thought that you were advocating that profits were going to drop in the near future.

So sorry
So you must be invested in Inverse ETFs then - good for you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 12:20 PM

655 posts, read 916,429 times
You have to keep in mind that just because a bank fails does not mean it is worth ZERO. They still have to account for the money. Even when a bank fails, a high percentage of your's and everyone else's money is there. FDIC steps in when not enough money, left at the bank is there to cover the $ deposited.

If you have $150,000 in a single account and your bank fails, chances are at the current moment in time, you would recover all your funds. Now if we start to see hundreds of banks, including the big national banks fail, then it's probably time to stuff your mattress.

Old 06-28-2008, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelmate38 View Post
you Have To Keep In Mind That Just Because A Bank Fails Does Not Mean It Is Worth Zero. They Still Have To Account For The Money. Even When A Bank Fails, A High Percentage Of Your's And Everyone Else's Money Is There. Fdic Steps In When Not Enough Money, Left At The Bank Is There To Cover The $ Deposited.

If You Have $150,000 In A Single Account And Your Bank Fails, Chances Are At The Current Moment In Time, You Would Recover All Your Funds. Now If We Start To See Hundreds Of Banks, Including The Big National Banks Fail, Then It's Probably Time To Stuff Your Mattress.
The Is No Money. The American Taxpayer Is Carrying A 9 Trillion Dollar Debt, Along With Trillions More In Personal Debt. I Guess The Fdic Will Borrow More Money From China In Order To Repay Those Whose Banks Folded.

Old 06-28-2008, 09:48 AM

358 posts, read 518,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorgeet View Post
"Bank failures to surge in coming years" - so where can you put your money?

Bank failures to surge as credit crunch slows economy - MarketWatch

gold and silver, I have a few stones worth of gold and a few hundredweight of silver on hand at my home currently.

Old 06-28-2008, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losertarian View Post
gold and silver, I have a few stones worth of gold and a few hundredweight of silver on hand at my home currently.
Then you lost money over the last few months - but gold will top $1,000 by years end.

Old 06-28-2008, 10:55 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,974,321 times
Quote:
Then you lost money over the last few months - but gold will top $1,000 by years end.
There is a good chance he bought it years ago and is up huge...nothing is "lost" until it is sold.

Old 06-28-2008, 01:39 PM

Quote:

considering I bought most of my gold at about 300 an ounce, I do not think I lost anything at all.

Old 06-28-2008, 03:20 PM

37,452 posts, read 61,366,570 times
Quote:
The Is No Money. The American Taxpayer Is Carrying A 9 Trillion Dollar Debt, Along With Trillions More In Personal Debt. I Guess The Fdic Will Borrow More Money From China In Order To Repay Those Whose Banks Folded.
That is assuming that the FDIC 'repays' failed bank deposts at a dollar-for-dollar ratio, which it has no requirement to do.

The FDIC could quite happily 'repay' all insured deposits with 5cents on the dollar.

Old 06-28-2008, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
That is assuming that the FDIC 'repays' failed bank deposts at a dollar-for-dollar ratio, which it has no requirement to do.

The FDIC could quite happily 'repay' all insured deposits with 5cents on the dollar.

or not at all. FDIC could very well just up and cancel their insurance. if 20 million people suddenly lost their money, it would be real hard for the goverment to come up with 2,000,000,000,000.00 dollars.

Old 07-14-2008, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losertarian View Post
or not at all. FDIC could very well just up and cancel their insurance. if 20 million people suddenly lost their money, it would be real hard for the goverment to come up with 2,000,000,000,000.00 dollars.
Indy-Mac just failed, how many more? Will the Fed borrow from China to cover all of them, including Freddie and Fanny? Will National debt climb to 20 trillion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies