Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 04:24 PM

994 posts, read 1,546,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
In the ned banks are not really in that bad of a shape compered to teh 80's even. But some as alwasy will panic. Ron Paul suporters seem to be in qite a panic but that is understandable since he has gone by the wayside.
He says "banks are not really in that bad of a shape" - HAHAHA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 05:40 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,805,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
Do you have that link, harborlady? My dad always recommended buying gold and silver, as he has over the years. And now looking into metals vs. other investment/retirement tools.
here ya go..
"in oil we trust" commemorative coins

Old 05-30-2008, 02:09 PM

994 posts, read 1,546,328 times
Quote:
In the ned banks are not really in that bad of a shape compered to teh 80's even. But some as alwasy will panic. Ron Paul suporters seem to be in qite a panic but that is understandable since he has gone by the wayside.
Here's a post comparing the 80's banking scandal to today's.

S&L Crisis vs. Current Crisis

Old 05-30-2008, 05:58 PM

gorgeet aint that deja vu all over again? hahahahaa Here's more info on that dinosaur path...

Bush family private equity fund in deep trouble as Financial Tsunami rolls on

Old 05-30-2008, 06:09 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,626,176 times
Quote:
Not to rain on your parade..but another bank bit the dust today in Minn.

FDIC: Press Releases - PR-41-2008 5/30/2008

Old 05-30-2008, 06:49 PM

happy texan- looks like this drunken neo con party atmosphere is getting a hangover. good thing I refused to partake, but we sure have a big mess ahead. It's still our country, and only ceases to be ours when we refuse all responsibility for our situation.

Old 05-30-2008, 06:53 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,859,361 times
BUY Property. This is the time to buy property, when it is on the floor. It WILL bounce back and give you much more return than any bank or savings account plus you can earn rent while it builds. If you walked into a bank and said i'm going to deposit $300,000 into your bank and i want a big monthly return plus a interest that rises each year they would laugh at you. With property you get that plus you keep your investment.

Old 05-30-2008, 06:57 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,519,791 times
Default as I see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorge et View Post
"Bank failures to surge in coming years" - so where can you put your money?

Bank failures to surge as credit crunch slows economy - Market Watch
Well let's assume the FDIC will actually cover you up to $100,000. So if you actually have that much or less then there not that much to worry about. As for anyone actually having over 100 K ( I'm sure most people on city have Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than that in the bank. Right?) then your looking to spread your risk out among different different financial instruments, real estate, currencies, and commodities. Which ones you choose is up to your depending on your risk tolerance. I as a contrainian love the real estate market right now (physical land, homes) Also be big believer that agricultural land will become more and more of a premium as the world will cry out for more food production and possibly corn ethanol production. I'm also a bull in solar technology. I would suggest only investing in companies from Europe for solar power they seem a lot more serious about actually making there solar panels more efficient than U.S. companies. Another possibility is investing on uranium and coal mining companies stock. Both which do already have a high demand but I think will go to new heights in the next decade or so. Let see anything else?..............Well maybe if your a risk taker you may wish to invest to a giant multi-corp that been battered by the credit crisis. Say like........Citigroup. They've been taking a pounding for a little while and I think it almost time for savvy risktaker to jump back to the that stock. to be honest those types of companies did take a hit but that ain't going out of business. Well..........Ok Bear Stearns did happen but I think that the exception to the rule.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:16 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,989,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorgeet View Post
He says "banks are not really in that bad of a shape" - HAHAHA!

So list the failures of banks by name.People like you panic and like to spread alarm. I also see no rush in the country to withdraw money.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:20 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,626,176 times
Quote:
So list the failures of banks by name.People like you panic and like to spread alarm. I also see no rush in the country to withdraw money.
4 banks so far this year:

FDIC: Bank Failures & Assistance

All of 2007 had 3, 2006 had 0.

I wouldn't panic myself, but I have checked on my bank's ratings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies