Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2022, 11:11 AM

88,979 posts, read 44,788,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Ok, go ahead blame me. You need a scape goat for everything that will justify your thinking.
Imagine if you were prescribed and taking insulin or digoxin. Would you be similarly as careless when taking a med that could kill you if used incorrectly? Or would you read the info dispensed with the prescription and made sure you understood how to use it correctly?

It's really ugly that some women are using the "women are just too stupid to manage their reproductive health" excuse for why we have 914,000 medically unnecessary convenience abortions each year.

Old 07-13-2022, 01:24 PM

10,225 posts, read 6,311,516 times
[quote=InformedConsent;63792631]Imagine if you were prescribed and taking insulin or digoxin. Would you be similarly as careless when taking a med that could kill you if used incorrectly? Or would you read the info dispensed with the prescription and made sure you understood how to use it correctly?

It's really ugly that some women are using the "women are just too stupid to manage their reproductive health" excuse for why we have 914,000 medically unnecessary convenience abortions each year.[/QU

I am 73. Take NO DRUGS whatsover. Nothing TO read. I do not have or go to doctors at all. Have had no vaccines since the 50's. When I say MY Body, My Choice it, applies to ALL medicine.

As I said to my husband 38 years ago after younger daughter was born, YOU get sterilized. I am DONE with all this medication crap. His vasectomy and my menopause were the best two things to happen in my reproductive life.

We will be married 48 years next month. And YOU?

Old 07-13-2022, 01:45 PM

306 posts, read 530,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
How interesting that you equate having a baby with "punishment." That exposes a lot about your mindset: misanthrope.
Is it misanthropic or is it realistic about the risks and dangers of pregnancy?

Pregnancy is not a medically neutral condition. Any and all health conditions are exacerbated by pregnancy, including diabetes, high blood pressure, asthma, autoimmune disorders, epilepsy, mental health conditions, etc.

Some women experience life threatening nausea (hyperemesis gravidarum).

Ectopic pregnancy is fatal if not treated as quickly as possible, as are other pregnancy related conditions.

Is name calling people "misanthrope" just because they bring up a point you don't like a productive way to discuss this issue?

Last edited by yoyogirl; 07-13-2022 at 01:58 PM..

Old 07-13-2022, 01:58 PM

10,225 posts, read 6,311,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Actually, the number of these people is quite large. Virtually every Catholic hospital follows the guidelines of no abortion until the mother's life is in danger (sepsis or anything else).

Abortion ban linked to dangerous miscarriages at Catholic hospital, report claims

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ealth-partners

A Miscarrying Woman Nearly Died After a Catholic Hospital Sent Her Home Three Times

https://rewirenewsgroup.com/article/...olic-hospital/

There are many more examples - just google.

Let's not forget that Missouri almost passed a law stating that women with ectopic pregnancies couldn't get abortions. That is a death sentence for a woman and it was a something suggested by some old senator who had no idea what ectopic pregnancies actually are. Fortunately, saner heads prevailed.

But consider the pregnant 10-year-old girl who had to go to another state to get her abortion. What if she had stayed in Ohio and given birth and died? Not allowing a 10-year-old to get an abortion is the very example of "no abortion just let the woman die".

As for not seeing an unborn human being as a human being, it's very simple. In YOUR mind an embryo is a human being. But again, the world doesn't revolve around you. A woman who doesn't want to go through a nine month pregnancy, who doesn't want another child, who can't afford a baby, and doesn't see the world through YOUR eyes, shouldn't be a slave to a clump of cells that can't even live independently outside her body. Why should YOUR opinions force HER to do things your way? You obviously aren't going to support her during pregnancy and aren't going to contribute for the cost of having and raising the child. So where do you get off telling the woman she's obligated to do all these things, just because of how YOU feel?

That's like you forcing someone else to buy a car and then making them pay for everything related to owning a car just because you think they need one.

I've asked this before, so now I'll ask you. If you are so concerned with (future) people not dying, then where are you when it comes to organ transplants? Why aren't you out there stumping to make laws forcing people to donate kidneys, hearts, eyes, lungs, or other organs so that people who are already here won't die? Why is it so imperative in your world that a unconscious and unformed fetus be forced to live but no one else is? Why aren't you pushing for banning DNR orders in hospitals. I mean, if we're talking life at all costs, at least be consistent with it.

As for giving a pregnant woman a seat on the bus, dude, really? I don't ask every woman I see if she's pregnant in order to ascertain her physical condition. That is the rudest question ever. But if I see a very pregnant woman, I know she's probably not feeling her best, so I offer my seat. I do it for her, not for her fetus, for crying out loud. I do it to help her physically, not because I think she's GawdAlmighty for having a baby. I'd give my seat up to a person who was disabled, had problems standing, or was in pain, even if they weren't pregnant, even if they were male.

A woman who wants her child will do whatever it takes to have a healthy baby. I see no problem with that. But if a woman doesn't want a baby, she should be allowed to have an abortion. I see nothing good about someone being forced to have an unwanted child that ends up living with parents who hate having had him (ask me how I know how that feels), or forced to have an unwanted child go into the foster care system who is then abused and neglected only to continue the cycle of abuse and neglect on their own children.

I grew up in a family where my parents never wanted kids and I wish a thousand times abortion had been a thing then. Believe me, there are worse things than not being born. Why don't you take a day trip with a social worker one day and see the children who are beaten, burned, sexually abused, have their bones broken, are starved to death or otherwise treated after they're born to parent who don't want them? It would take a very cold person to see these kids and say he is glad they were born.

I worked in Special Ed in public schools. and had to call CPS on parents for child abuse a number of times. Don't need a medical degree to be able to tell the difference between dog bites and cigarette burns.
A lot of Mommy Dearest out there. Let's force more of them to give birth?

One 7 year old special needs boy came to school smelling and wearing same clothes day after day. When asked what he ate for dinner he said Dog Biscuits. Notes home to Mommy all the time.

Tommy was found wandering the streets of Ft.Myers at 3 AM clad only in his underwear. "Mommy out on a date". We spent many hours getting Tommy to memorize his DAD's cell phone # for an emergency, which he gave to police. Daddy picked him up and took him to his house. Mommy was arrested on drug and prostitution charges. Daddy got custody of his son, and he lived happily ever after with his Dad. BTW, his parents were divorced soon after Tommy was born. She was not cut out to be a Mother.

In this case Father DID know best.

Old 07-13-2022, 03:49 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,949,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Imagine if you were prescribed and taking insulin or digoxin. Would you be similarly as careless when taking a med that could kill you if used incorrectly? Or would you read the info dispensed with the prescription and made sure you understood how to use it correctly?

It's really ugly that some women are using the "women are just too stupid to manage their reproductive health" excuse for why we have 914,000 medically unnecessary convenience abortions each year.
In 1959 you did not get a multi page explainer document about the drug you were given. You got an explanation from your doctor, which may or may not have been coherent, and you picked up the pills at the pharmacy. The label gave a sentence or two of instructions.

There was no internet to look up more info about the drug. You trusted your doctor back then. If he forgot to tell you something about the drug, oh well.

BTW, the original birth control pills contained a lot more estrogen than today's pills. It was not a mini pill in 1959. Too many years on that level if estrogen was later known to cause breast cancer.

Last edited by ansible90; 07-13-2022 at 03:57 PM..

Old 07-13-2022, 09:31 PM

3,618 posts, read 3,053,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyogirl View Post
Is it misanthropic or is it realistic about the risks and dangers of pregnancy?

Pregnancy is not a medically neutral condition. Any and all health conditions are exacerbated by pregnancy, including diabetes, high blood pressure, asthma, autoimmune disorders, epilepsy, mental health conditions, etc.

Some women experience life threatening nausea (hyperemesis gravidarum).

Ectopic pregnancy is fatal if not treated as quickly as possible, as are other pregnancy related conditions.

Is name calling people "misanthrope" just because they bring up a point you don't like a productive way to discuss this issue?

When you're right, you're right. But I would take it even further and say women should have absolute agency over their own bodies, including the fate of the embryos and fetuses they may be carrying, for whatever reason they may feel or choose. Women should be free to do whatever they want, whenever they want, to their own bodies.

Old 07-13-2022, 09:43 PM

37,452 posts, read 61,366,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_33 View Post
When you're right, you're right. But I would take it even further and say women should have absolute agency over their own bodies, including the fate of the embryos and fetuses they may be carrying, for whatever reason they may feel or choose. Women should be free to do whatever they want, whenever they want, to their own bodies.
I agree.

A few years ago, my daughter-in-law was pregnant. The ultrasounds of her fetus could not detect any brain in the fetus' skull. I suggested that she terminate the pregnancy, but she insisted that she wanted to give birth and to raise the child if possible.

Today she is raising a son with cerebral palsy [Hydrocephalus - his skull has too much fluid and does not allow his brain to expand into the space]. He has just barely enough brain tissue for his heart to beat and his lungs to breath. He must be fed through a tube. At five years old he can not focus his eyes, nor raise his head. Every week he grows bigger, heavier. He will be a burden on others for as long as he lives.

This was her choice.

Old 07-14-2022, 01:29 AM

51,649 posts, read 25,796,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I agree.

A few years ago, my daughter-in-law was pregnant. The ultrasounds of her fetus could not detect any brain in the fetus' skull. I suggested that she terminate the pregnancy, but she insisted that she wanted to give birth and to raise the child if possible.

Today she is raising a son with cerebral palsy [Hydrocephalus - his skull has too much fluid and does not allow his brain to expand into the space]. He has just barely enough brain tissue for his heart to beat and his lungs to breath. He must be fed through a tube. At five years old he can not focus his eyes, nor raise his head. Every week he grows bigger, heavier. He will be a burden on others for as long as he lives.

This was her choice.
What are her thoughts on the matter now?

Old 07-14-2022, 01:57 AM

24,600 posts, read 9,440,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_33 View Post
Many people said the same during COVID vaccine and mask mandates, and they were labeled crazy unvaxers.

I think this is a very vital lesson the left has learned that the government should not interfere with personal body autonomy.

Old 07-14-2022, 08:12 AM

15,407 posts, read 7,468,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Many people said the same during COVID vaccine and mask mandates, and they were labeled crazy unvaxers.

I think this is a very vital lesson the left has learned that the government should not interfere with personal body autonomy.
A pandemic causing virus and abortion are nowhere near the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies