Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support giving Ukraine F-16s
Yes 201 39.88%
No 254 50.40%
Unsure 49 9.72%
Voters: 504. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2022, 10:07 AM

9,219 posts, read 13,331,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Lol. Poland , superpower? Why was the "polish plumber" blamed for Brexit?
I think he was being sarcastic.

Poland is not the wealthiest nation but she has been making progress since the fall of Communism. She now has the 6th largest economy in the European Union and her people enjoy a higher GDP per capita than Russians.

Having said that, Poland was a major power hundreds of years ago and is still capable of fielding a sizeable army even today. And because Poland has been rebuilding her economy since the fall of Communism she can afford a bigger and better army if needed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish..._Ukraine_(2022)

Prompted in part by the 2022 Russian invasion of Ukraine. the Polish government announced plans in March 2022 to roughly double the size of the armed forces to 300,000 personnel, and to spend at least 3% of GDP on defence.[9] This includes increasing the size of the tank fleet by adding approximately 1,000 new tanks and adding 600 new howitzers to Poland's ground forces.[10] Poland's Deputy Prime Minister and Defense Minister Mariusz Blaszczak said that it is Poland's goal to build the strongest ground forces of all the North Atlantic Treaty Organization members in Europe.

300,000 men just in the Polish army is equivalent to the 300,000 that Russian is conscripting this year. And that is just the Polish army! What happens if larger nations like Germany, Britian, France and others decided to mobilize, let alone the USA which has double Russia's population?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2022, 10:07 AM

2,067 posts, read 1,347,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Actually, Russia never recovered from the hit they took in 2014 when they invaded Crimea.
In 2013 Russia GDP was 2.288T dollars.
In 2022 it is thought to be 1.829T dollars and in 2023 will fall to 1.713T dollars.

One thing about measuring GDP per capita is, if enough people leave the country or die in the war the per capita figure will rise. At least for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Your link is seriously messed up. Unless you want us to believe that the GDP dropped by more than a factor of 10 in a year. Next.
I'm not following your math.
Please show us your calculation that gives "GDP dropped by more than a factor of 10 in a year" from those numbers.

Old 10-15-2022, 10:33 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,953,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I think he was being sarcastic.

Poland is not the wealthiest nation but she has been making progress since the fall of Communism. She now has the 6th largest economy in the European Union and her people enjoy a higher GDP per capita than Russians.
My preferred pronouns are actually she/her/Your Divine Empress.

And yeah, I picked Poland because it’s a large middle income country that has been a solid economic performer since leaving the Warsaw Pact and moving toward a free market economy even if they do have something of a brain drain of people leaving for bigger paychecks in other parts of the EU.

USSR GDP per capita 1990- about $3500
Poland GDP per capita 1990- about $1800

(Using Macrotrends because they have data sets for both countries and you’re comparing like to like)

Old 10-15-2022, 10:34 AM

7,825 posts, read 2,753,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Incorrect, The Russian advances are much more than just meters. The pro-Russian forces are also capturing entire villages. They just captured Opytine and Ivangrad in the last couple of days and are ontrack to capture the city of Bakhmut which has a population of 70,000, and the Ukrainians seem helpless to stop those advances.

I love how everybody celebrates the Ukrainian advances, while totally ignoring or blowing off the Russian advances. Which is unfortunate, because it gives you a very warped perspective of the war.
Look we can all read maps here. How long have the Russians been "on track" to take Bakmhut?? And why??
Look at the advances the Russians have made with their mercenaries in that region compared to the Ukraine advances in the Kharkiv and Kherson Oblasts. Do you really think people on CD are that gullible??

Old 10-15-2022, 10:58 AM

7,694 posts, read 5,580,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoy64 View Post
Russians move by meters....Ukrainians move by villages. The Donetsk is only wasting Russian mercenaries in the Wagner group...they have been trying to take Bakhmut for well over a month...and nobody can figure out why...there is no real military significance to this area.

There appears to be a major Ukrainian Offensive in Kherson right now

https://twitter.com/bayraktar_1love/...92081346732033

https://twitter.com/bayraktar_1love
Yup, Ukrainian Operational Command has ordered informational silence in the Kherson region. So I guess the only info we will hear will be from the Russian side.

Old 10-15-2022, 11:02 AM

15,612 posts, read 9,269,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoy64 View Post
Look we can all read maps here. How long have the Russians been "on track" to take Bakmhut?? And why??
Look at the advances the Russians have made with their mercenaries in that region compared to the Ukraine advances in the Kharkiv and Kherson Oblasts. Do you really think people on CD are that gullible??
Unfortunately, yes I do. Many posters here seem to be under the mistaken impression that the Ukraine is winning the war and will soon push the Russians out of the Ukraine. How can they be winning the war when they are on the defensive in Donetsk and losing ground? Even losing a little bit of ground, means they are not making any progress to liberating that region.

The Ukrainians are gaining some ground and losing some ground. The Russians are gaining some ground and losing some ground. That is not the sign of a war that will be over any time soon.

Last edited by Cloudy Dayz; 10-15-2022 at 11:10 AM..

Old 10-15-2022, 11:04 AM

39,470 posts, read 27,821,776 times
Quote:

I love how everybody celebrates the Ukrainian advances, while totally ignoring or blowing off the Russian advances. Which is unfortunate, because it gives you a very warped perspective of the war.
I completely agree with the bold. Unfortunately, some here are too emotional to understand the point that you are making.

I believe most people in the world want Ukrainians to win the war, I have no doubt this is the case.

However, nobody is winning this war currently and that both sides have strengths and weaknesses. Ukraine has superior numbers, better resolve and morale and international backing, while Russia has superior weaponry and superior stores of ammunition.

Both sides are holding each other in check with each achieving minor victories without any decisive blows. And both sides are trying to get to a better position at the negotiating table, but neither are there yet.

The likely outcome is messy rather than a clear cut victory for either side. But even that looks like it’s still up for grabs on the battlefield right now.

It is going to be a bloody war with no end in sight.

Old 10-15-2022, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Unfortunately, yes I do. Many posters here seem to be under the mistaken impression that the Ukraine is winning the war and will soon push the Russians out of the Ukraine. How can they be winning the war when they are on the defensive in Donetsk and losing ground?

The Ukrainians are gaining some ground and losing some ground. The Russians are gaining some ground and losing some ground. That is not the sign of a war that will be over any time soon.
Well the ground the Ukrainians are taking is much bigger than what Russia is and has critical strategic importance unlike to brainless attacks in Donetsk. Like I said it's pretty simple to view maps.

Let's see how the latest Ukrainian advance plays out in Kherson..shall we.

Old 10-15-2022, 11:12 AM

5,257 posts, read 3,844,132 times
Quote:
I could only make it 1 minute into that 56 minute video. But going by the title, the Russian evacuation of Kherson is no real surprise. Russian military leaders were requesting permission to bug out of that area over a month ago, because they couldn't get supplies. It's a good victory for Ukraine, just as the offensive in the north was. But unfortunately Kherson is about as far as the Ukrainians are going to get. The same river that was preventing the Russians from getting supplies is going to prevent the Ukrainians from advancing farther.

Meanwhile the Russians have their own offensive going on in Donetsk, and are making slow steady progress everyday to capture more land there.
Russia evacuates civilians from Kherson.

Old 10-15-2022, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I completely agree with the bold. Unfortunately, some here are too emotional to understand the point that you are making.

I believe most people in the world want Ukrainians to win the war, I have no doubt this is the case.

However, nobody is winning this war currently and that both sides have strengths and weaknesses. Ukraine has superior numbers, better resolve and morale and international backing, while Russia has superior weaponry and superior stores of ammunition.

Both sides are holding each other in check with each achieving minor victories without any decisive blows. And both sides are trying to get to a better position at the negotiating table, but neither are there yet.

The likely outcome is messy rather than a clear cut victory for either side. But even that looks like it’s still up for grabs on the battlefield right now.

It is going to be a bloody war with no end in sight.
Bull..this summer most of the advances were made by the Russians and people acknowledged that especially Lysychansk and Severodonetsk. Then the Ukrainians were able to rotate their territorial defense units with newly trained soldiers and lured Russia into Kherson and blitzed Kharkiv. Even personalities on Russian State TV are asking why does Russia take meters when Ukraine takes villages....answer because it's actually NATO. Don't make me go find that clip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies