Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support giving Ukraine F-16s
Yes 209 40.04%
No 263 50.38%
Unsure 50 9.58%
Voters: 522. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2022, 01:26 PM

51,802 posts, read 26,130,999 times

Advertisements

Impossible to predict what will happen next, but it looks as if the Ukrainian military is driving the Russian military to Crimea where they will be sitting ducks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2022, 01:29 PM

7,707 posts, read 5,618,222 times
I’m not too surprised:
"Extremely dangerous" group deserts Russian military unit in Kherson

Quote:
Radio Svoboda reported that the 13 fugitives are armed, have ammunition, and have stolen several cars in order to "enter the territory of the Republic of Crimea". Extreme caution is to be observed during their detention since they are "armed with automatic firearms, pistols, under-barrel grenade launchers with spare rounds, and hand grenades".

The fugitives are said to be "extremely dangerous, with combat and operational experience, [and are] suspected in a series of grave and very grave crimes on the territory of Kherson Oblast."

Old 10-06-2022, 01:29 PM

102,515 posts, read 109,122,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Impossible to predict what will happen next, but it looks as if the Ukrainian military is driving the Russian military to Crimea where they will be sitting ducks.
Of course it's hard to predict what will happen next, but the fact that there's been a sudden outburst of flack from high places regarding how poorly the war is going from the Russian side, could be indicative of the command unravelling. Either that, or the Defense Minister's head will roll (seems unlikely, since P is chummy with him, but you never know), and be replaced with someone else. Still, though, a change of command won't solve the issue of a hopelessly unprepared army. Maybe there will be more reliance on drones and missiles.

Old 10-06-2022, 01:32 PM

51,802 posts, read 26,130,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post

Realistically, 3 weeks of the US Air Force involvement in Ukraine and the Ukrainians should be able to mop up the Russian remnants in days.
You think it would take 3 weeks?

Old 10-06-2022, 01:49 PM

3,112 posts, read 950,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swake View Post
It's false, really?

I loved this:

Quote:
Overall, 65% of respondents describe the EU’s influence as very or generally positive.
OK, EU =/= NATO. Let's keep going.

Quote:
In Poland, pollsters found that 60% of respondents want the NATO to go further by providing even more weapons and heavy equipment for Ukrainian troops.
In Poland? No mention of % Europeans finding NATO's influence to be "very or generally" positive like for the EU? Why could that be. I cannot figure it out. Help me out.

Old 10-06-2022, 02:40 PM

1,813 posts, read 2,251,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanSunset View Post
It's false, really?

I loved this:

OK, EU =/= NATO. Let's keep going.

In Poland? No mention of % Europeans finding NATO's influence to be "very or generally" positive like for the EU? Why could that be. I cannot figure it out. Help me out.
You missed this sentence right before the one you quoted:
Quote:
The same survey found that the share of respondents saying that NATO plays an important role in the security of their country is 78%, an increase of 11 points from 2021
You aren't being dishonest are you?

Oh, and this:
Quote:
A multi-country survey found clear support for Ukraine becoming a member of the EU (63%) and of NATO (58%) among respondents.
And this is what Europe thinks of Russia:
Quote:
Respondents to a multi-country survey strongly back action to hold Russia accountable through the prosecution of war crimes as well as economic sanctions
Even ethnic Russians don't support Russia:
Quote:
A different poll carried out among Russian speakers in Finland obtained similar results, finding that a two-thirds majority (64%) of those surveyed do not approve of Russia’s military operation in Ukraine.

Old 10-06-2022, 04:46 PM

20,041 posts, read 23,056,997 times
1/2 of my wife's family lives in Germany. Her Aunts, Uncles, cousins, nieces and nephews... My son has been to Germany 3x and visits with them and talks to them quite a bit. All of them.. ALL OF THEM, condemn Russia in the harshest of tone and fully support Ukraine. In fact one of my nephews is pretty peeved that Germany has been dragging their heels on sending Tiger Tanks and other equipment.

All of them know it's going to be very, very hard to wean off of Russian energy, but all of them want off of Russian energy.

Old 10-06-2022, 04:51 PM

79,383 posts, read 61,515,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
1/2 of my wife's family lives in Germany. Her Aunts, Uncles, cousins, nieces and nephews... My son has been to Germany 3x and visits with them and talks to them quite a bit. All of them.. ALL OF THEM, condemn Russia in the harshest of tone and fully support Ukraine. In fact one of my nephews is pretty peeved that Germany has been dragging their heels on sending Tiger Tanks and other equipment.

All of them know it's going to be very, very hard to wean off of Russian energy, but all of them want off of Russian energy.
Ask them if they approve of nuke plants after this debacle? (At least for now)

Old 10-06-2022, 05:01 PM

3,112 posts, read 950,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post

Germany: Protesters Took To Streets In Berlin Seeking Govt's Disassociation In Ukraine War

https://www.republicworld.com/world-...ticleshow.html

Massive protests have been happening around Europe. You won't hear about that in the US media.

Old 10-06-2022, 05:05 PM

25,860 posts, read 17,633,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Ask them if they approve of nuke plants after this debacle? (At least for now)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanSunset View Post
Germany: Protesters Took To Streets In Berlin Seeking Govt's Disassociation In Ukraine War

https://www.republicworld.com/world-...ticleshow.html

Massive protests have been happening around Europe. You won't hear about that in the US media.
Seems to me these two comments are inter-related, with protestors first protesting nuclear power plants years ago, and now protesting the war caused, in part, by an over reliance on Russian gas.
So in other words, protestors A caused the situation that protestors B now scream about. Democracy gets kinda messy sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies