Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support giving Ukraine F-16s
Yes 201 39.88%
No 254 50.40%
Unsure 49 9.72%
Voters: 504. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2022, 01:11 PM

47,070 posts, read 26,190,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprawling_Homeowner View Post
...its artillery has a far greater range than anything Ukraine has.
HIMARS says hi.

Quote:
Seizing the Ukrainian capital would be counterproductive.
Talk about sour grapes. The decapitation strike failed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2022, 01:37 PM

25,733 posts, read 17,500,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
HIMARS says hi.

It's going to be a little hard for the Russians to set up an administrative building in Danbas if Ukrainians keep bombing it with 200lb HIMARS rounds.
Even worse, those same Russian administrators will want to go home at night. They should probably worry about what will come crashing through the roof in the middle of the night. It's better they all stay in Russia and not pretend Russia has expanded.

Old 08-24-2022, 01:52 PM

1,863 posts, read 5,161,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Blakeley View Post
Oh I most certainly don't envision myself to be a grand visionary leader or what have you , even if my use of admittedly fanciful language may cast that impression ( ) , but it still strikes me that little thought has been put into what exactly is the long term interest of Ukraine/Ukrainians by those Westerners who claim to champion them the most .

Certainly Ukrainians have every right to resist the Russian onslaught and should do so till ( ideally ) serious proposals of a mutually negotiated peace settlement emerge , yet I really do not see how getting the Russians to withdraw via defeating them would serve the long term interests of Ukraine/Ukrainians , for the reasons I've already elaborated on .

That said being very much mortal and thus extremely fallible , I'd be very much willing to read your explanation of why I happen to be wrong , if you wish to share it of course . ;
I didn't say you were wrong, did I?

Old 08-24-2022, 01:55 PM

4,457 posts, read 5,348,371 times
Quote:
HIMARS says hi.
Why yes, of course - all those the Russians have captured and will continue to capture.

Quote:
Written like someone without a clue as to what the Russians were and are doing. Just when you wrote here, months ago, that Ukraine's parliament voted to oust Viktor Yanukovych while ignoring the fact that the vote fell short of what the Ukrainian constitution mandates.

Old 08-24-2022, 01:56 PM

6,421 posts, read 8,316,891 times
Quote:
Cute deflection, but you won't answer, will you?

You cannot answer my question as to when Russia will be evicted from eastern Ukraine because you know that Ukraine cannot do it.

Had you any awareness as to why Russia initiated this special military operation, you would understand that asking the question you asked is a revelation of your own ignorance. Russia neither needs nor intends to conquer all of Ukraine. Had Russia intended to do so, it would and could have done so in a matter of weeks.

Russia's military is much larger and stronger; it has nukes whereas Ukraine does not; and, its artillery has a far greater range than anything Ukraine has.

Seizing the Ukrainian capital would be counterproductive.

You will never answer me as to when Ukraine, whom you apparently believe will not lose this war, will kick Russia out. You won't attempt to do so - because you have no answer.
I don't have a crystal ball, nor do you. The invasion of Kyiv was a failure-- that's a fact.

Old 08-24-2022, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
I don't have a crystal ball, nor do you. The invasion of Kyiv was a failure-- that's a fact.
Another refusal to answer a simple question.

No arguments, I see. I understand.

Old 08-24-2022, 02:02 PM

47,070 posts, read 26,190,324 times
Quote:
Why yes, of course - all those the Russians have captured and will continue to capture.
They have been very good at destroying HIMARS systems. In fact, they've claimed more HIMARS destroyed that are deployed, that's really impressive.

But I can't help but notice you failed to comment on range, which was sorta the original point you tried to make.

Quote:
Written like someone without a clue as to what the Russians were and are doing. Just when you wrote here, months ago, that Ukraine's parliament voted to oust Viktor Yanukovych while ignoring the fact that the vote fell short of what the Ukrainian constitution mandates.
Followed up with another clumsy attempt at changing the subject? But sure. You keep arguing that Russia threw away a few thousand of their best, most motivated troops on a "feint". Although there's a counterargument to be made that it's well-established Russian military tradition to throw away soldiers like scraps to dogs.

Old 08-24-2022, 02:12 PM

6,421 posts, read 8,316,891 times
Quote:
Another refusal to answer a simple question.

No arguments, I see. I understand.
Correct. There IS no argument. At best, Russia is mired in a stalemate; at worst, they've been humiliated.

Old 08-24-2022, 02:19 PM

Quote:
They have been very good at destroying HIMARS systems. In fact, they've claimed more HIMARS destroyed that are deployed, that's really impressive.

But I can't help but notice you failed to comment on range, which was sorta the original point you tried to make.
Destroyed and captured - much good they'll do for Ukraine regardless of range. Without HIMARS, Ukraine would be losing even more badly than it already is.

Quote:
Followed up with another clumsy attempt at changing the subject? But sure. You keep arguing that Russia threw away a few thousand of their best, most motivated troops on a "feint". Although there's a counterargument to be made that it's well-established Russian military tradition to throw away soldiers like scraps to dogs.
That you think it was a "decapitation strike" only illustrates your unawareness of what the Russians are doing. Then again, you're in good company here.

The "changing the subject" line is cute, but it doesn't hide the fact that you like other posters who rant away prophesying a Russian defeat don't know what's actually transpiring.

Old 08-24-2022, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Correct. There IS no argument. At best, Russia is mired in a stalemate; at worst, they've been humiliated.
No, YOU have no argument - which is why you won't answer a simple question.

When and how will Ukraine eject the Russians who have occupied much of eastern Ukraine and who are on the verge of completely liberating Donbass?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies