Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support giving Ukraine F-16s
Yes 201 39.88%
No 254 50.40%
Unsure 49 9.72%
Voters: 504. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2022, 09:30 PM

2,156 posts, read 1,461,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Demography will break China, which according to demographers from Xian Jiaotong University is slated to lose half its population in 45 years. At the end of this century, China could be about one-third as populous as it is now.
So anyone banking on China to bail them out is simply uninformed. It won't happen. Demographics is a science, remember. It takes 20 years to make a 20 year old person, and that won't change.
In the next 10 years, says the above article, China's economy will fall apart and there is nothing that can be done. Their one-child policy accelerated their demise.
Don't think so. I doubt China will lose 67% of it's population and, most predictions don't think so either. In any event, they don't have to be the most populous nation to have a big impact for decades if not permanently.

At the moment china continues to gain population and they are helping to keep Russia afloat as is India. Almost 3 billion people between the two nations and they are keeping Russia flush in cash. Plenty of other countries also aren't buying into Western sanctions, despite the attempts at strong-arming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2022, 09:53 PM

34,289 posts, read 19,458,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticking View Post
Don't think so. I doubt China will lose 67% of it's population and, most predictions don't think so either. In any event, they don't have to be the most populous nation to have a big impact for decades if not permanently.

At the moment china continues to gain population and they are helping to keep Russia afloat as is India. Almost 3 billion people between the two nations and they are keeping Russia flush in cash. Plenty of other countries also aren't buying into Western sanctions, despite the attempts at strong-arming.
They continue to gain population? Bwahahhahaa. Technically true, but not really in the long run.

Their birth rate is 7.5 births per 1,000 people a year. Think about that. The listed fertility rate is 1.7 births per woman-and many dont believe its that high. Thats not enough to continue to grow your population as the middle aged grow old and die.

Old 07-13-2022, 12:16 AM

8,975 posts, read 11,857,524 times
Russian invaders get drones from Iran. It shows that Russia is not totally alone in this invasion. China made drones used by Ukraine were compromised because the maker shared tracking data with Russia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jz4qJf5ZkHk

Old 07-13-2022, 01:40 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,938,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Russian invaders get drones from Iran. It shows that Russia is not totally alone in this invasion. China made drones used by Ukraine were compromised because the maker shared tracking data with Russia.
Iranian drones are a joke, you can get them from Horizon Hobby.

Also Israel has all the info to disable and crash them. Which they share with the other Western democracies.

Iran is a great country with pitiful leadership for decades, they are always just a wrong move from being annihilated by Israel, their weapons are bunk designed by planted reverse engineering by the West. Useless and have never, ever made a difference in any conflict to date. And they certainly won't help Russia here. I don't even know why Russia would admit to receiving such trash. I guess it is for their domestic consumption that SOME country would actually help them.

Old 07-13-2022, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Iranian drones are a joke, you can get them from Horizon Hobby.

Also Israel has all the info to disable and crash them. Which they share with the other Western democracies.

Iran is a great country with pitiful leadership for decades, they are always just a wrong move from being annihilated by Israel, their weapons are bunk designed by planted reverse engineering by the West. Useless and have never, ever made a difference in any conflict to date. And they certainly won't help Russia here. I don't even know why Russia would admit to receiving such trash. I guess it is for their domestic consumption that SOME country would actually help them.
Id disagree, Irans been making some decent drones. They aren't like what you can get from the US military, but they've spent some solid time developing them. And they're better then what Russia has. Which is saying nothing good for Russia obviously.

The devil of course is in the details. But this is good news for Russia as they desperately need them, but its also a clear indication that Russia is no longer a superpower.

Old 07-13-2022, 06:29 AM

4,457 posts, read 5,348,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
LOL. You would be mistaken. I make pizza money this way by predicting and betting on things at a website. Im more right then wrong generally. Too many people get emotionally vested in their arguments.
That's great and good for you.

But Russia is still going to win this war. Ukraine cannot win. It couldn't win on day 1 and it sure can't win with Russia having now seized even more territory - it's good stuff. I have seen videos of Donbass civilians rejoicing in front of cameras, saying they waited for the Russians for 8 years.

That's an emotional investment that no one here can mirror, and I look forward to seeing more testimonials of civilians freed from Ukrainian brutality and terrorism.

Old 07-13-2022, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprawling_Homeowner View Post
That's great and good for you.

But Russia is still going to win this war. Ukraine cannot win. It couldn't win on day 1 and it sure can't win with Russia having now seized even more territory - it's good stuff. I have seen videos of Donbass civilians rejoicing in front of cameras, saying they waited for the Russians for 8 years.

That's an emotional investment that no one here can mirror, and I look forward to seeing more testimonials of civilians freed from Ukrainian brutality and terrorism.
uh huh. So youre telling us you believe all the russian propaganda. Meanwhile in reality. Russia couldnt even seize Ukraine with a sudden attack. The one thing I do have to admit, their ammo dumps blowing up are sure pretty.

So when do people think they will run out of ammo dumps and command and control and start shifting the HIMARS into one of its more impressive capabilities using the M30A1 rounds we sent them on troop concentrations? Im guessing another 3 days for ammo dumps, 2 more for command and control and air defense, maybe 4. Then move onto the troops. Honestly I feel sort of bad for them. 180,000 tungsten balls the size of BBs is going to be pretty brutal, but thats the nature of war.

Also the new guided artillery rounds for the M777's are arriving in a week I suspect. Making the M777s into one hit one kill sort of weapons. Thats going to be a bit of a shock for them as well.

Any ideas from folks on why the Russian airforce is such a failure in all of this? I actually expected them to do better. Well, I sort of expected their military to do better overall, but the airpower has been especially surprising.

Old 07-13-2022, 07:01 AM

4,457 posts, read 5,348,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
uh huh. So youre telling us you believe all the russian propaganda.
The rest of your post wasn't worth addressing, but this part is telling (and entertaining).

Since February, in the previous thread and in this one, people whose views are similar to yours have used the same line: "Russia propaganda." I've been called a "Russian propagandist," a "Putin/Russia apologist," and in one of the least intelligent posts ever written to me in this website, a very curious poster wrote something to the effect of "I'm docking your pay, comrade."

You see, greywar, you did nothing to address what I wrote. Russia has seized a very large part of Ukraine, and much of that land was seized within weeks. You did nothing to challenge that claim; all you did was to smear it.

The media in America is lying to you. Even mainstream outlets like The New York Times and The Washington Post have pivoted, writing that a defeat for Ukraine may actually happen.

It already has. On the ground, on a daily basis, yes, there are Ukrainians fighting. But Donbass is effectively under Russian control. Ukraine will never get it back. Ukraine is losing dozens of fighters daily, and they can't be replenished. Whoever they do send to the front gets slaughtered; they can't be trained fast enough to handle the advanced weaponry the west is sending.

This is not like the Vietnam War. The conflict in Southeast Asia was a very long and protracted conflict which bogged down the U.S. for many years. However fearsome and unparalleled the firepower of the U.S. military, the North Vietnamese and the Viet Cong engaged in asymmetrical warfare, and as the war was long, over time, babies turned into toddlers, who turned into boys, who turned into teenagers and men who were then sent to fight the Americans.

This isn't fourth generation warfare. The Russians are pounding Ukrainian positions with artillery batteries whose range is far longer than whatever Ukraine had.

You (and other posters) will probably call this "propaganda," but if you do, it'll only reinforce my conviction that save for a very small number of exceptions, pro-Ukraine posters who have been writing on C-D since late February are simply unaware of the facts.

Have a nice day.

And remember: Russia will win this war.

Old 07-13-2022, 07:32 AM

19,210 posts, read 27,849,425 times
The head of the DPR, Pushilin, announced the recognition of the republic by the PRC The PRC recognized the independence of the Donetsk People's Republic,said

the head of the DPR Denis Pushilin.
RIA Novosti
“Bilateral partnership will increase the geography of trade for the enterprises of our states. I am sure that active and fruitful cooperation awaits us,” Pushilin concluded.
The
document on the decision of the government of the DPRK to recognize the independence of the republic was presented to the Ambassador of the DPR Olga Makeeva by the Ambassador of North Korea to Russia Sin Hong Chul, according to the Telegram channel of the DPR representative office in Russia.
RBC
At the moment, Russia and Syria have recognized the independence of the DPR and LPR.

Pushilin said that mercenaries would be shot in the DPR if the appeal was rejected

In early June, the Supreme Court of the Donetsk People's Republic sentenced British citizens Sean Pinner and Aiden Aslin and Moroccan Saadun Brahim to be shot for mercenarism and participation in hostilities on the side of Ukraine.
RBC
"If the court recognizes the appropriate measure of punishment, then the cases will be transferred to the executive service for the implementation of the sentence," Pushilin stated, adding that all convicted foreigners filed appeals against the decision of the Donetsk court.
Komsomolskaya Pravda
On June 9, the Supreme Court of the DPR sentenced two Britons Sean Pinner and Aiden Aslin, also a Moroccan citizen Saadoun Brahim, to death.
Izvestia

LUGANSK, July 13 - RIA Novosti. During the shelling of Lugansk on Wednesday night, Ukrainian troops used a new tactic to break through air defense systems, first launching a missile without a warhead, and then a missile with a high-explosive warhead,said Rodion Miroshnik, head of the representative office of the Luhansk People's Republic in Russia.
RepresentationLPR at the Joint Center for Control and Coordination of the Ceasefire (JCCC) previously confirmed that Ukrainian troops had fired at nightLuhansk two Tochka-U missiles, both were hit on approach.

Old 07-13-2022, 08:22 AM

3,375 posts, read 2,926,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprawling_Homeowner View Post
And remember: Russia will win this war.

My position is slightly different. I believe the war itself is immaterial, it's the economy of the countries involved that matter. Russia is still producing whatever it used to produce, as they find alternative ways to import electronics (or start manufacturing what they need locally) - they will restore even airplane and car building industries.

Ukraine has difficulties to produce even food, and oil. Not mentioning that majority of Ukrainian industries were in Donbass that is now outside of the Ukrainian control. One would say it's supported by Europe... Well, Europe is very dependent on Russian resources. I am yet to see $1 to 200 Rubles exchange rate promised by Biden, but 1Eur = $1 has not been seen since the introduction of Eur.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies