Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support giving Ukraine F-16s
Yes 201 39.88%
No 254 50.40%
Unsure 49 9.72%
Voters: 504. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2023, 12:04 PM

8,975 posts, read 11,857,524 times

Advertisements

A quick analysis on the strike by my favorite professor.

https://youtu.be/OW8E0a4lqNY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2023, 03:31 PM

8,975 posts, read 11,857,524 times
Kim and Putin met, ate, and promised each other friendship. Russia asking North Korea for weapons is like the USA asking Haiti for weapons.

https://youtu.be/MbesASGeh14

Old 09-13-2023, 06:58 PM

4,974 posts, read 2,749,024 times
Denys update..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7ESH2MVCYU

Old 09-13-2023, 07:22 PM

25,733 posts, read 17,500,703 times
The submarine is easy to understand, but why was the LST ship important?
An LST is Landing Ship, Tank. That means it is equipped to deliver heavy equipment to beaches and shallow waters (see the ramp in the above picture?). The Russians must continue to supply their troops with fuel, food, ammunition and so forth They now realize they will eventually lose the Crimea Bridge and may lose the railroad which was to serve as an alternative to the bridge. So they planned on using the LSTs to supply troops.
And now one of them is gone.

Things are looking dim for Russia.

Old 09-13-2023, 08:09 PM

7,825 posts, read 2,754,750 times
ISW Update 9/13/23

https://www.understandingwar.org/bac...tember-13-2023

Quote:
Sep 13, 2023 - ISW Press

Ukrainian forces conducted missile strikes on occupied Sevastopol, Crimea, on September 13, damaging a Russian landing ship, a Kilo class submarine, and port infrastructure. The Department of Strategic Communications of the Ukrainian Armed Forces stated that Ukrainian forces successfully conducted missile strikes on Russian naval means and port infrastructure in occupied Sevastopol. Main Military Intelligence Directorate (GUR) Spokesperson Andriy Yusov stated that the missiles struck the Russian state-owned ship repair facility Sevmorzavod, damaging repair facilities as well as a landing ship and a submarine, both of which he described as unrecoverable. The Russian Ministry of Defense (MoD) claimed that Russian air defenses intercepted seven out of 10 Ukrainian cruise missiles targeting the Sevmorzavod ship repair facility but acknowledged that Ukrainian missiles struck two ships under repair. Geolocated footage published on September 13 shows explosions at the dry dock in the Sevastopol port. Satellite imagery published on September 12 shows one Ropucha class landing ship and one Kilo class submarine at the dry dock, and satellite imagery published on September 13 shows that the Ukrainian missile strike likely destroyed the two vessels. Ukrainian Southern Operational Command Spokesperson Captain First Rank Nataliya Humenyuk stated that there were no Russian missile carriers present during the strike but noted that Ukrainian intelligence is still unaware of which submarine was at the dry dock. The apparent destruction of the two vessels will likely render the dry dock inoperable until Russian forces can clear the debris, which may take a significant amount of time. The extent of the damage to Sevmorzavod’s repair facilities beyond the dry dock is unclear, and any damage to one of the Russian Black Sea Fleet’s main repair facilities in occupied Crimea will likely have reverberating impacts in the event of further Ukrainian strikes on Russian naval assets.

Old 09-13-2023, 08:30 PM

8,198 posts, read 3,751,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Kim and Putin met, ate, and promised each other friendship. Russia asking North Korea for weapons is like the USA asking Haiti for weapons.

https://youtu.be/MbesASGeh14
I didn't know Haiti had 6000 artillery systems pointed at , I guess, the Dominican republic? lol.

Now, on a serious note, I'm not sure they (Russia) are actually asking for anything or just taunting the west.

Considering this:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/09/13/u...roduction.html

Old 09-14-2023, 04:28 AM

4,974 posts, read 2,749,024 times
update from Crimea..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TacbfwMTM5Y

Old 09-14-2023, 04:43 AM

5,264 posts, read 3,847,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
I didn't know Haiti had 6000 artillery systems pointed at , I guess, the Dominican republic? lol.

Now, on a serious note, I'm not sure they (Russia) are actually asking for anything or just taunting the west.

Considering this:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/09/13/u...roduction.html

Nothing serious about some of the posts in this thread.

Old 09-14-2023, 06:19 AM

5,222 posts, read 3,050,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
The submarine is easy to understand, but why was the LST ship important?
An LST is Landing Ship, Tank. That means it is equipped to deliver heavy equipment to beaches and shallow waters (see the ramp in the above picture?). The Russians must continue to supply their troops with fuel, food, ammunition and so forth They now realize they will eventually lose the Crimea Bridge and may lose the railroad which was to serve as an alternative to the bridge. So they planned on using the LSTs to supply troops.
And now one of them is gone.

Things are looking dim for Russia.
I don't think the sub and LST were the targets. Personally, I think the dry dock was the target. Those aren't easy to make and are expensive. You take that out and ships can't be repaired with them. It's the difference between taking out a tank and a fuel truck. You take out the tank it's not gone but if you take out the fuel truck multiple tanks can be inoperable.

I think the dry dock was the target, the sub and LST were just targets of opportunity.

Old 09-14-2023, 07:07 AM

7,825 posts, read 2,754,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
I don't think the sub and LST were the targets. Personally, I think the dry dock was the target. Those aren't easy to make and are expensive. You take that out and ships can't be repaired with them. It's the difference between taking out a tank and a fuel truck. You take out the tank it's not gone but if you take out the fuel truck multiple tanks can be inoperable.

I think the dry dock was the target, the sub and LST were just targets of opportunity.
Yep. I agree. Russians are simply facing the consequences on relying on One Place for maintenance. If this is crippled, their ships are now on life support mode.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies