Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support giving Ukraine F-16s
Yes 205 39.65%
No 262 50.68%
Unsure 50 9.67%
Voters: 517. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2023, 10:48 AM

51,786 posts, read 26,111,503 times

Advertisements

In other news, Putin says Russia will send tactical nukes to Belarus.

https://apnews.com/article/russia-be...6dbf7b14694e0e

While, "Air force commanders from Sweden, Norway, Finland and Denmark said on Friday they have signed a letter of intent to create a unified Nordic air defense aimed at countering the rising threat from Russia."

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe...at-2023-03-24/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2023, 10:50 AM
bu2

24,279 posts, read 15,131,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoy64 View Post
Observing these circumstances reminds me of one of my favorite classic movies "The Longest Day". The two situations are strikingly similar....The Germans knew the allies were planning an invasion on the shores of western Europe...but where and when? Same thing here The Russians know the Ukrainian Counter-Offensive is coming but where, when and with how much?? From what I am reading it doesn't look like Putin is going to back down one iota (similar to someone else in history). Most analysist are on a "Black Swan Event" watch. Russia is belatedly switching to a wartime economy and the majority of its military is scattered and exhausted in Eastern Ukraine. There are many histories where complete militaries collapse in the field and point their guns in the other direction.
Are you thinking of the Russians in WWI?

Old 03-27-2023, 10:51 AM

51,786 posts, read 26,111,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Exactly. Soldiers, fed up with being fed into a pointless meat grinder, shot their officers and went home. Except for a sizable number who first went to the seat of government to settle a a score. And brought their guns.
I'm surprised they haven't headed home already.

I realize things are confusing in a war, but even the soldiers from the farthest reaches of Siberia must've figured out that their chances of survival are pretty low at the going rate.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 03-27-2023 at 11:10 AM..

Old 03-27-2023, 10:56 AM

47,132 posts, read 26,280,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
I am not familiar with the the T-54/T-55 tanks that Russia is pulling out of storage. This video does an excellent job analyzing military hardware, in this case the T-54/T-55. Most people think that these old tanks will be used as artillery as a stop gap.

https://youtu.be/Noy_amuOPvA
Would be interesting if true. So it boils down to whether Russia is harder up for artillery or tanks?

All sorts of follow-up questions, then - are T-55s set up for indirect fire (wouldn't surprise me, Soviet designers were a funny bunch sometimes), what's their supply situation for the relevant shells (anti-armor shells aren't great in the bombardment role), can they reach relevant ranges without being sitting ducks for counterbattery?

It's been done - WWII and Korea, that I know of - but it's not the best tool for the job. You can hammer a nail with a wrench, but you only do that if you don't have a decent hammer on hand, after all.

We shall see.

Old 03-27-2023, 10:57 AM

12,537 posts, read 8,332,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I'm surprised they haven't headed home already.

I realize things are confusing in a war, but even the soldiers from the farthest reaches of Siberia must've figured out that their chances of survival are pretty low at going rate.
For units to flip takes a lot and a leadership wanting to do so. Right now I would think of French veterans of Vietnam and Algeria or US from Vietnam and much later Iraq who returned home thinking about changing the government. And the lower level of terrorism and bombings of say the late 1960s, early 1970s in the US seems to be following suit with the fires all over Russia and is probably them and not Ukrainian special forces.

Old 03-27-2023, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
In other news, Putin says Russia will send tactical nukes to Belarus.

https://apnews.com/article/russia-be...6dbf7b14694e0e
Russia does some nuclear posturing? Must be a day that ends in "y". There's nukes in Kaliningrad already, so...

Old 03-27-2023, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
For units to flip takes a lot and a leadership wanting to do so. Right now I would think of French veterans of Vietnam and Algeria or US from Vietnam and much later Iraq who returned home thinking about changing the government. And the lower level of terrorism and bombings of say the late 1960s, early 1970s in the US seems to be following suit with the fires all over Russia and is probably them and not Ukrainian special forces.
Units of the Imperial German Navy received orders for a final blaze-of-glory mission in 1918, went full mutiny, and triggered a soldier/worker rebellion all over Germany.

Old 03-27-2023, 11:05 AM

12,537 posts, read 8,332,381 times
Quote:
Would be interesting if true. So it boils down to whether Russia is harder up for artillery or tanks?

All sorts of follow-up questions, then - are T-55s set up for indirect fire (wouldn't surprise me, Soviet designers were a funny bunch sometimes), what's their supply situation for the relevant shells (anti-armor shells aren't great in the bombardment role), can they reach relevant ranges without being sitting ducks for counterbattery?

It's been done - WWII and Korea, that I know of - but it's not the best tool for the job. You can hammer a nail with a wrench, but you only do that if you don't have a decent hammer on hand, after all.

We shall see.
As an ex US Army tank commander I have been saying the guided missiles, smart artillery shells and drones has killed the tank as fast firing artillery and rifles killed the horse cavalry charge 150 years ago.

While tank on tank combat gets the press like fighter pilots shooting down fighter planes the bombers made history. It is the explosive shells doing other work that is the real shock action task of tanks. After a last hurrah on the Golan Heights and Desert Storm tanks hunting other tanks with depleted uranium sabot rounds is now just an additional duty as it was during WWII since the Guards tank armies and Republican Guards armored divisions have been swept from the battlefields.

Old 03-27-2023, 11:05 AM

5,807 posts, read 11,525,730 times
Quote:
Russia does some nuclear posturing? Must be a day that ends in "y". There's nukes in Kaliningrad already, so...
True, and the enclave Oblast of Kaliningrad is 100 to 200 km further west than Belarus.

Old 03-27-2023, 11:06 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,893,768 times
Quote:
I heard that it doesn't really have to do with the nukes as such. Putin's and Luka's step was a response to Western regime change threats a few days earlier. This step basically means dooming such efforts. That is why Brussels and Washington are so angry because they had high hopes for the exiled Belarussian shadow government in Lithuania or wherever it was waiting for its return to Belarus. Now Belarus has basically become a part of Russia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies