Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support giving Ukraine F-16s
Yes 198 39.52%
No 254 50.70%
Unsure 49 9.78%
Voters: 501. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2022, 11:10 AM
bu2

24,155 posts, read 15,013,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Why would it collapse? China is selling their oil so they don't have money/income problems. They have plenty of food. Vodka is not in short supply. Putin would never allow the dissolution of Russia the way Gorbachev allowed the Soviet Union to dissolve. A collapse of government doesn't happen in Russia unless the majority of the government supports it.

The momentum is not working against Russia presently. It's not really working in their favor either, but the people have been putting up with that since forever. Things were never going good for the average Russian, so don't expect them to organize and take out Putin. If they did, life wouldn't improve any for them anyhow. The west will neuter Russia if given the chance, and they know it.

So the idea of taking out Putin being an inside job isn't practical. And things would have to be unimaginably bad in Russia before the chances of a collapse are even worth considering as a strategy for anything. And I doubt the west would try to sneak in and take him out. Hence, decommissioning Russia for good would have to come through a good ol fashioned invasion. And any land invasion against Russia risks nuclear exchange. Or maybe you think the west will push the button first? I mean, Biden has pretty much lost his marbles, so....

So again I postulate, how else do you expect to wipe out Putin's military without actually invading? They are already launching missiles into Russia. The intent is there. They may attempt it. But Russia is vast and everyone who tried has failed. And there lies the crux of it all, and why getting sucked deep into this war is dangerous, especially with our current vegetable for a leader. Stupid people = stupid results. And in this case, stupid results = nuclear exchanges. This is not the time for arrogance and miscalculations.
The scary part is a bunch of generals each creating their own fiefdom within Russia and you suddenly have a bunch of nuclear armed strongmen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2022, 11:11 AM

8,972 posts, read 11,846,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Update on the Engels airbase strike. At least one drone was used. The targets most likely were missile storage. After the first strike a few weeks ago, Russia was said to have beefed up their air defense on the base. Apparently that was not enough.

While Ukraine goes after military targets, Russian terrorists want to freeze and starve Ukrainian civilians.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69sgXuAaPHs
More on the drone strike from a mainstream news outlet, but they have less information than the above source. We can expect more Russian attacks on civilian targets in relatiation because it is what they do best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98H9rfHMtLY

Old 12-26-2022, 11:12 AM

8,187 posts, read 3,744,968 times
Quote:
The west is doing the same thing. The tanks that Morocco is selling to the USA to give to Ukraine have to go to Germany first to be upgraded and made serviceable. This is standard operating procedure for militaries today. In the USA, we have "boneyards" where scrap aircraft and perhaps other stuff are stripped for their parts to go in aircraft that need these parts to be operational. And of course, we also import a lot of stuff for the military industrial complex in the USA. That doesn't mean we can't make that stuff. It means we found a better way, according to whoever makes these decision. Although I think it's foolish to become too dependent on the world for our MIC.

I would bet Russia's tanks are far simpler than what the west relies on. We tend to employ the latest and greatest in technology and sophisticated hi tech weaponry, which Russia cannot afford to do. Their equipment was always very basic. But when things are basic, they are easy to service and keep running in a pinch. Where as the sophisticated complicated stuff can be a nightmare to get fixed in wartime. Germany learned all about that in WW2 while the Soviets and Americans produced tons of simple weapons that ended up winning the day since they could be produced so quickly and repaired so easily.

Russia certainly has it's share of problems and complications... Typical of any nation involved in a massive war. War is hell for everybody. But the original claim was Russia cannot manufacture tanks. That was what I was responding to. Thankfully, that poster blocked me because he/she can't deal with reality.
At this point I'm not sure there is anybody left unblocked by that particular poster

Old 12-26-2022, 11:13 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,108,271 times
Quote:
The claim was that Russia cannot manufacture tanks. Period. That was the claim I was responding to. It's blatant misinformation/propaganda fueled by the lame stream media. I don't like liars.
You asked how the US was different from Russia. I responded. And nothing I have said has been discredited.

Quote:
The rest of what you said is a continuation of what we have all been told for years now. The collapse has been imminent for almost a decade... Still waiting... It reminds me of the claims that Putler has cancer and he will be dead any week now... And yet, he's still very much alive unfortunately. The lame stream media said he pooped his pants though... That'll show him

I just prefer to deal with reality as it is. Not get lied to and sprayed with lib flavored unicorn farts. If you all need to be brainwashed to deal with reality, so be it, but leave the normies out of it.
Countries typically do not collapse in a matter of weeks, and medical diagnoses are not given with definitive timelines.

By all accounts, the Russian economy is hurting, and this will hurt their manufacturing. I never said collapse, but enough of a negative impact will have serious implications for their war materiel.

Same thing with Putin. He may or may not have health problems. I could not tell you, that stuff is pretty secret. Maybe he drops dead suddenly, perhaps he hangs on for years. I never made any type of prediction here.

I think the problem may be that you take speculation for fact, and focus on the worst case, most spectacular speculation. Of course the media disappoints you if this is what you do.

For the moment, we do know how much has been spent or pledged, we do not know how long the war will take, we do not know how it will proceed in the next 12, 24, or 36 months. We do know that the Russian economy is faltering, we do not know how badly or how quickly.

Take a deep breath, and if you see something in the news that is speculation, it probably is not reasonable to go out screaming "Look what Biden did now!".

Old 12-26-2022, 11:14 AM

3,253 posts, read 1,633,161 times
How Citizen Spies Foiled Putin’s Grand Plan for One Ukrainian City

A partisan cell in Kherson spied on, undermined and even hunted down Russian soldiers. Now that Vladimir V. Putin’s forces are gone, people feel free to talk — and to brag a little.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/25/w...ce-russia.html

Quote:
Kherson, at the mouth of the Dnipro, near the Black Sea, was captured in the war’s first days. Russian officials soon declared it part of Russia forever.

Kherson’s occupation government, run by Russian military commanders and Ukrainian collaborators, wasted little time pulling down Ukrainian flags, taking over Ukrainian schools, trucking in crates of Russian rubles, even importing Russian families. Perhaps nowhere else in Ukraine did Russia’s leader, Vladimir V. Putin, devote so much money and violence, the carrot and the stick, to bend a city to his imperial will.

But it did not work.

Guided by contacts in the Ukrainian security services, an assembly of ordinary citizens formed themselves into a grass-roots resistance movement. In dozens of interviews, residents and Ukrainian officials described how retirees like Mr. Yermolenko — along with students, mechanics, grandmothers, and even a wealthy couple who were fixing up their yacht and got trapped in the city for the better part of a year — became spirited partisans for the Kherson underground. It was like something out of a spy movie.

They took clandestine videos of Russian troops and sent them to Ukrainian forces along with map coordinates. They used code names and passwords to circulate guns and explosives right under the Russians’ noses. Some even formed small attack teams that picked off Russian soldiers at night, making the fear and paranoia that settled over the city two-sided.

[…]

Old 12-26-2022, 11:19 AM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
In WW2, the Soviet Union had the ability to manufacture tanks, often in part because they fabricated frames and parts in places that are no longer part of Russia.
And the US supplied them massive amounts of materials and vehicles. Stalin himself said they would not have won without the US aid.

Churchill was quoted as saying, "Britain supplied the time, the US supplied the material and the Russians supplied the men."

Old 12-26-2022, 11:19 AM

29,945 posts, read 25,072,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
You asked how the US was different from Russia. I responded. And nothing I have said has been discredited.

Countries typically do not collapse in a matter of weeks, and medical diagnoses are not given with definitive timelines.

By all accounts, the Russian economy is hurting, and this will hurt their manufacturing. I never said collapse, but enough of a negative impact will have serious implications for their war materiel.

Same thing with Putin. He may or may not have health problems. I could not tell you, that stuff is pretty secret. Maybe he drops dead suddenly, perhaps he hangs on for years. I never made any type of prediction here.

I think the problem may be that you take speculation for fact, and focus on the worst case, most spectacular speculation. Of course the media disappoints you if this is what you do.

For the moment, we do know how much has been spent or pledged, we do not know how long the war will take, we do not know how it will proceed in the next 12, 24, or 36 months. We do know that the Russian economy is faltering, we do not know how badly or how quickly.

Take a deep breath, and if you see something in the news that is speculation, it probably is not reasonable to go out screaming "Look what Biden did now!".

All you have provided is speculation. How is it faltering? Their stores are full of products. There is vodka everywhere. There is certainly no shortage of energy as well as buyers for their energy. It doesn't look like it's collapsing, although it's definitely not prosperity. You have to understand, the Russian people are used to much harder lives than the ones we live in the west. Life would have to become totally unbearable in order for it to collapse.

You are viewing an eastern country through the eye's of a westerner. You will never understand Russia, and if you cannot understand it, you have little hope of causing it to collapse. If the west wants to cause Russia to collapse, it would have to play it's cards perfectly and intelligently. We will see if we have the power to pull that off.

As for Putin dying suddenly, eventually he will of course. He's 70 years old. It doesn't make you wise to suggest he might suddenly drop dead. That's what old people do. And sometimes even young people.

Old 12-26-2022, 11:25 AM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Don't forget the Bosnians in Sarajevo standing in line for bread, or the massacres all over Croatia, at places like Vukovar, or the wholesale slaughter of civilian boys and men in Srebrenica, the rape camps, etc.

The term "ethnic cleansing" was coined to describe the Serbs' atrocities throughout the 1990s. Serbia richly deserved every action taken against it. If only it had been sooner, so many lives could have been spared.

It's no surprise that Russian apologists/cheerleaders see and use Serbia as if it were the victim. They were the aggressors, just like the RuZZians.
You only have one side of the story. A half million Serbs were ethnically cleansed from Croatia with western help. Croatians even murdered UN peacekeepers there as observers. Yet Croatia was admitted to the EU.
Serbs were murdered and cleansed in Bosnia as well. The Serbs were just the most successful at their atrocities early in the war. With Dayton, Bosnia is still a basket case a quarter century later. Clinton was just wrong to separate Kosovo from Serbia. That was a violation of international law just as Russia's actions now are. And he created another failed nation state out of Yogoslavia.

Old 12-26-2022, 11:28 AM

29,945 posts, read 25,072,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
And the US supplied them massive amounts of materials and vehicles. Stalin himself said they would not have won without the US aid.

Churchill was quoted as saying, "Britain supplied the time, the US supplied the material and the Russians supplied the men."

In the begining, they had to drag all their factories east, so they were out of reach of the invading Germans. That was a massive job in of itself and obviously required a lot of resources and manpower. Moving factories through mountains is not an easy task.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evacua...e_Soviet_Union

The stuff we sent bought them time for sure, but the Soviets took on ridiculous losses that are hard for any army to survive through. Once they had heavier tanks, and better command on the field, they started winning battles, but still took incredible losses.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet...g_World_War_II

You can see the total production that took place. By 1941, they started cranking out heavier tanks that would eventually turn the tide of the war against the Germans. By 43, I think they were outproducing the Nazis in tanks.

Old 12-26-2022, 11:28 AM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
In an effort to prop up oil prices, Russia has agreed to provide Iran with 24, SU-35 fighter jets. Russia hopes a fighting conflict between Iran and Saudi Arabia would create an oil shortage, thereby increasing Russia's share of the revenue.
Iran currently uses 70's technology in its air force.
Well Russia is afraid to use them in Ukraine. Might as well get some money out of them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies