Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2022, 02:16 PM

17,673 posts, read 6,934,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
As part of a social studies class, a New Jersey public middle school forced students to watch a video about a transgender man’s hormone treatment—all without notifying parents.

The video, “Ten Years on Testosterone,” details the transition of LGBT activist Aydian Dowling through hormone injections. Teachers and administrators at Pearl R. Miller Middle School in Kinnelon, N.J., did not notify parents about the lesson, which included slideshows with definitions of different gender ideologies, beforehand.

“You can build up the courage to stand up for yourself in a way that this is what you want to do with your life,” Dowling says in the video after injecting testosterone.
Link: https://hotair.com/jazz-shaw/2022/03...herapy-n458476

I am confused. I am pretty sure I've read many statements on C-D from our liberal friends about how this is not happening. What gives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2022, 02:43 PM

10,500 posts, read 7,026,221 times
Absolutely sickening, and that's near where I live. NJ is the #1 state for education but the Murphy Administration is opening up the schools to all of these things into the school system including making climate change a core subject next to Math and English, starting at Kindergarten. As someone who is family planning at the moment, we are not letting our kids go to schools in the state and will be moving.

Old 03-28-2022, 02:49 PM

9,120 posts, read 6,334,220 times
Twelve year olds are not mature enough for that kind of material.

Old 03-28-2022, 03:00 PM

408 posts, read 291,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post

I am confused. I am pretty sure I've read many statements on C-D from our liberal friends about how this is not happening. What gives?
It depends on the lesson the video is being used for and the justification for why it was shown. If the video is being used to persuade a political or religious opinion on the class it is an infringement on the same clause that makes forced school prayer to a deity in secular public school unconstitutional. What the law should be on any segment of society is not to be persuaded on a class but story-telling without a political motivation can be appropriate at middle school age.

And so, if the video is part of a larger series on integrity, respecting and embracing differences in individuals, and in a series with other documentaries such as stories about immigrants, children with rare genetic conditions, social studies on differences in appearance, mental health, loving your neighbor as yourself, if it’s umbrella’d in this kind of a way it’s not inappropriate as a chapter for middle schoolers. When I was in grade 6 I was taught about this book in reading class and it was very perfectly situated for the kids ages 11-12. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maniac_Magee

That said I would have to add that also it would be appropriate in the same context to have a story for middle schoolers about a lost boy with a troubled past who found redemption in the lord Jesus Christ his local church gave him place and he became born-again. If serving to speak on one among a number of unique narrative stories without pressing what any child should do or believe in, that story would also fit appropriately. In this story it would even be appropriate if the story involves a boy who found home-schooling to be a better fit for his new found values , and if it questions minds of kids to think outside of public school that would be fitting as long as the teacher doesn’t use that lesson to persuade a political or ideology on the class or grade or discriminate based on it.

Also teaching hate or prejudice should not be allowed, so it would not be appropriate to teach a story about someone who found joy in being superior to others because of his race creed or anything like that. Likewise it should be forbidden for a teacher to comment negatively about any group of people who do not believe in trans rights but rather to not dictate any opinion on the issue unless it’s kind and positive to each and every group.

Now in high school it’s appropriate to speak against racism, or any discrimination on any of the protected rights under equal protection. In middle school it’s important to address hatred when someone sees it and explain why it’s wrong, but to not teach racism so much as to just emphasize be kind to each other no matter what they look like.

Last edited by Freesponge; 03-28-2022 at 03:23 PM..

Old 03-28-2022, 03:01 PM

17,673 posts, read 6,934,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesponge View Post
It depends on the lesson the video is being used for and the justification for why it was shown. If the video is being used to persuade a political or religious opinion on the class it is an infringement on the same clause that makes forced school prayer to a deity in secular public school unconstitutional.

However, if the video is part of a larger series on integrity, respecting and embracing differences in individuals, and in a series with other documentaries such as stories about immigrants, children with rare genetic conditions, social studies on differences in appearance, mental health, loving your neighbor as yourself, if it’s umbrella’d in this kind of a way it’s not inappropriate as a chapter for middle schoolers.
It's about an "LGBT activist," so we know what it's designed to do.

Old 03-28-2022, 03:06 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,595,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post

there are goons out there so demented as to say that to deprive this kid of tranny talking points from his teacher is a violation of human rights.

hopefully none of them post here...

Old 03-28-2022, 03:10 PM

43,182 posts, read 18,318,340 times
No wonder kids don't know their history/geography. This is what "social studies" has turned into

Why is there such a high emphasis on the alphabet sexes in K-12 ?

Old 03-28-2022, 03:30 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,780,510 times
24 states mandate sex education in schools.

https://www.the74million.org/article...ate-stacks-up/

NJ is obviously one of them. Much discretion is given to each district.

https://www.gardenstatefamilies.org/...-middle-school

I don’t understand why student needs to view a very brief , poor quality and dated video about a woman who at age 21 chose testosterone treatments.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2Gm7LEQriZQ

The subject later opted for “ top surgery” and became an activist, model and fitness instructor. No shortage of videos available on YouTube.

Old 03-28-2022, 03:33 PM

43,182 posts, read 18,318,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
24 states mandate sex education in schools. .
And usually that happens in sex ed class, not social studies.

Old 03-28-2022, 03:34 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,595,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
24 states mandate sex education in schools.
sex education ≠ transgender hormone therapy, cliffie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies