Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2022, 12:49 PM

40,998 posts, read 18,427,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
Despite the fact they have horrible music at halftime now?...I assumed that was an attempt to attract new viewers.
Who should play at halftime to attract a younger audience?

Old 02-13-2022, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Football is still in 2nd place. That is not bad.

Everybody plays soccer now. It is no surprise that more and more young people are fans of soccer. Everybody plays it so they know the rules and can relate to the players.

I was raised in the 1960s. Soccer didn't exist.

FWIW, professional boxing was the most popular sport until WWII. Of course, pro basketball was not even invented then.
2nd place in what?

If everybody in the US played soccer and was interested in it, it would be plastered all over the tv and tv contracts would be huge for it like the NFL and MLB.

Old 02-13-2022, 12:53 PM

25,094 posts, read 9,821,821 times
There's no reason to watch the NFL on tv, way too many commercials and all the highlights get directly uploaded to youtube anyway.

Old 02-13-2022, 12:56 PM

15,953 posts, read 12,427,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Nope. The majority of fans were not in favor of a name change. Outside groups forced him

Most of us see these names as a positive tribute to native americans... it's a small minority that get super offended that got the name change. It's similar to how in the workplace the people who complain, despite being a small minority, usually get their way, because management wants to shut them up.

The geopolitical landscape seems to work similarly. If you want something done, scream loud enough with enough numbers. It doesn't even have to be that many... just 5-10%. Problem is conservatives in general don't believe in things like protests so we tend to keep sliding to the left, and the left these days are loony.

Old 02-13-2022, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
There's no reason to watch the NFL on tv, way too many commercials and all the highlights get directly uploaded to youtube anyway.
I DVR most every game. One can get through a game very quickly that way. When watching live I’ll let the game run for approximately 45 minutes and start watching. Can blow right through the commercials and stopped play.

Old 02-13-2022, 01:01 PM

12,975 posts, read 6,797,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
2nd place in what?

If everybody in the US played soccer and was interested in it, it would be plastered all over the tv and tv contracts would be huge for it like the NFL and MLB.
The OP posted that football is the 2nd most popular sport among Americans under 25 years old with 33% being fans. 1st place is basketball with 40%. Basketball's top position makes sense considering it is hugely popular among young black people.

The thread is about 'younger audiences' under 25 years old.

Everybody under 25 played soccer in school. That is my point. The reason baseball, football, and basketball dominate TV sports is due to those over 40, who never much played or watched soccer. Like I said, I never saw a soccer field until I was in college. No soccer in grammar school or high school in the 60s and 70s. It didn't exist.

So when I say everybody played soccer, I mean everybody under 25. Just wait 30 years. Soccer will easily be the most popular sport in the USA, especially as Hispanics become a plurality demographic.

Old 02-13-2022, 01:02 PM

46,112 posts, read 27,787,088 times
Quote:
Lol. Last I read the average age of an NFL fan is 50, which is lower than MLB and the NBA.
No way it's lower than the NBA. I don't believe that for a minute.

Old 02-13-2022, 01:23 PM

29,676 posts, read 16,743,225 times
Quote:
2nd place in what?

I have no idea why people get this angry when someone mentions that soccer is popular.

MLS has a great following an likely has better attendance numbers than the MLB who have been faking attendance numbers to years and getting called out on it.

Also TV contracts include number of games that can be broadcasted, so hard to compare TV contracts when the MLB has more than 1000 games to bargain with and the MLS only has 200

Old 02-13-2022, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
The OP posted that football is the 2nd most popular sport among Americans under 25 years old with 33% being fans. 1st place is basketball with 40%. Basketball's top position makes sense considering it is hugely popular among young black people.

The thread is about 'younger audiences' under 25 years old.

Everybody under 25 played soccer in school. That is my point. The reason baseball, football, and basketball dominate TV sports is due to those over 40, who never much played or watched soccer. Like I said, I never saw a soccer field until I was in college. No soccer in grammar school or high school in the 60s and 70s. It didn't exist.

So when I say everybody played soccer, I mean everybody under 25. Just wait 30 years. Soccer will easily be the most popular sport in the USA, especially as Hispanics become a plurality demographic.
Ahhh, under 25 years old.

Link to everybody under 25 playing soccer in school?

When do you predict it easily becomes the most popular sport?

Old 02-13-2022, 01:26 PM

38,922 posts, read 24,123,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
Despite the fact they have horrible music at halftime now?...I assumed that was an attempt to attract new viewers.
Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg are largely gen X and older millennial acts now. Eminem is total millennial and even some gen Z. I honestly don't see any ticking the needle. The day of a Super Bowl halftime act being something to expand the Super Bowl viewership is largely over IMHO. Nobody is a Michael Jackson level performer today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies