Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2022, 09:52 AM

1,655 posts, read 787,660 times

Advertisements

Great. Now we get to pay more stuff we buy on online.

Thank you Biden voters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2022, 09:52 AM

2,335 posts, read 823,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNSense View Post
"Yes your honor, I wasn't evading taxes I was just trying to avoid them." - Al Capone.

The issue isn't the one-off dinner or repayment someone does. It is that it isn't just the single transaction, if the net over the year goes over $600 it is reported. Sure you can "say" that it is a gift or payment for a friend. And as long as the IRS doesn't question it and asks you to produce the friend you are fine.

And when I sell an item, I have yet to hear of the IRS accepting anyone's "explanation" when it comes to taxes. Perhaps the thousands of agents they are looking to hire are going to be part of the "Kindler and Gentler IRS".
Al Capone....now there's some drama

The likelihood of it being questioned is pretty much slim and none unless you're got some massive amount of transactions and dollar amounts you're dealing with. It'll probably impact 1% of the country Frank. Most could only wish to have those type of transactions.

And they aren't looking for the type of "friends and family" designation that most would have.

Old 02-04-2022, 09:53 AM

3,377 posts, read 1,267,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
We need to get away from tech. Every byte entering and leaving your network is recorded and stored. Using things like Craigslist won't matter, if they want to chase those things down, and it doesn't take any effort - the computers will find those listings and associate them with a person - you.

We're going to see a lot more buying and selling like this, again. And that's a Good Thing.
no we aren't. as time goes on we'll see even less of it.

Old 02-04-2022, 09:53 AM

26,429 posts, read 19,306,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
It isn't drama, it's a pain in the ass. I've had to deal with the IRS before, and the hours spent on the phone isn't all that fun.
And in our modern society, time really is money. If you wasted four hours talking with the snakes at the IRS, that is four hours at say thirty-five dollars an hour... that is a hundred forty dollars you just paid the government for having them hound you. That should be reimbursed if it turns out it was unnecessary, which it probably is about 99% of the time.

Old 02-04-2022, 09:55 AM

29,911 posts, read 14,961,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAmericaGo View Post
Great. Now we get to pay more stuff we buy on online.

Thank you Biden voters.
The positive thing about that is...maybe it will make shopping the local stores more popular.

Old 02-04-2022, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnslaw View Post
no we aren't. as time goes on we'll see even less of it.
You overestimate how far people are willing to be pushed before they find ways around the tyranny. There is already a healthy "barter economy" going on in certain circles that is untraceable. You need to get out of the penthouse office once in awhile. Sounds like you are pretty sheltered from what is going on out in the "little people's world."

Old 02-04-2022, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
And in our modern society, time really is money. If you wasted four hours talking with the snakes at the IRS, that is four hours at say thirty-five dollars an hour... that is a hundred forty dollars you just paid the government for having them hound you. That should be reimbursed if it turns out it was unnecessary, which it probably is about 99% of the time.
Exactly.

Old 02-04-2022, 09:58 AM

3,377 posts, read 1,267,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicipher View Post
Nope. Again, not all that hard to figure out a reasonable value for the goods sold and if there is no profit, you aren't going to be taxed. People do it all the time with estimates on charitable donations.
which has nothing to do with this. you donate some stuff to charity, give them an estimate and get a form with that estimate.

totally different then getting a tax form for 4700 from paypal where if you didn't file it as income (because you didn't actually make money!) or did but don't have original receipts you easily could get audited and get taxed on 4700 in income you never made. I do agree that it won't be a problem for a lot of people, and that if you do get audited in the end it's unlikely you won't end up actually paying anything but it's a giant pain in the you know what. and all for what? people really need to be a lot more concerned with how their tax money is being spent. people wake up and go to work 5 days a week until april or may to give that money to the government to spent with no accountability.

Old 02-04-2022, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
The positive thing about that is...maybe it will make shopping the local stores more popular.
If I lived in a state with no or little sales tax, that would be great. Actually, there is a proposal in my state to drastically reduce the state sales tax. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Old 02-04-2022, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
You overestimate how far people are willing to be pushed before they find ways around the tyranny. There is already a healthy "barter economy" going on in certain circles that is untraceable. You need to get out of the penthouse office once in awhile. Sounds like you are pretty sheltered from what is going on out in the "little people's world."
Again, spot on. It seems like the foreign cultures do much better at this. I have several foreign friends that are business owners and it's like an entire underground culture of business owners swapping/bartering goods and services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies