Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2022, 09:40 AM

2,335 posts, read 821,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Lol "they" ? You mean the IRS ? Yeah, they are so easy to get ahold of and talk to. Also, it is uncanny how people are so nonchalant about being taxed on property that is theirs and has already had sales tax paid on it. Some items actually gain in value, and we should be taxed on that ? Do we get the taxes back we paid if the opposite happens and it loses value ?

The way I see it, is it's just another example of government over reach, they are bleeding money and need more ways to recoup it. Just as always, those that can end up footing the bill.
Laugh all you want. I've been audited and so have friends of mine. We've had things we didn't have receipts for and gave an explanation. It wasn't anything unreasonable and the IRS looks at thresholds of what's reasonable for income levels. I didn't have a problem, but keep the drama going if you want. The IRS barely has the agents to look at bigger items and that's been apparent for quite some time. Believe or not, they have bigger fish to fry then some of the posters on this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2022, 09:43 AM

6,256 posts, read 2,978,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicipher View Post
The IRS barely has the agents to look at bigger items and that's been apparent for quite some time. Believe or not, they have bigger fish to fry then some of the posters on this forum.
That's why President Biden wants to hire 87.000 new IRS agents. Don't be naïve!

Old 02-04-2022, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
That's why President Biden wants to hire 87.000 new IRS agents. Don't be naïve!

And I say good luck with that. In the meantime, my statement stands. But I understand. A group of you have nothing better to do then say "Biden left the toilet seat up again". The bias gets old after awhile. If you're doing something illegal, then worry (even though it's pretty unlikely if it's small enough, anyone is going to waste their time with it).

Old 02-04-2022, 09:44 AM

19,106 posts, read 12,823,436 times
Quote:
Nope. Again, not all that hard to figure out a reasonable value for the goods sold and if there is no profit, you aren't going to be taxed
Let us know how that works out for you with the auditor

Old 02-04-2022, 09:45 AM

26,243 posts, read 19,154,648 times
Quote:
Yawn.

Tax avoidance is legal. Tax evasion is against the law.
You know that is not what this discussion is about. Yet you keep bleating it out on every thread concerning this topic.

Old 02-04-2022, 09:48 AM

29,822 posts, read 14,876,526 times
Quote:
Laugh all you want. I've been audited and so have friends of mine. We've had things we didn't have receipts for and gave an explanation. It wasn't anything unreasonable and the IRS looks at thresholds of what's reasonable for income levels. I didn't have a problem, but keep the drama going if you want. The IRS barely has the agents to look at bigger items and that's been apparent for quite some time. Believe or not, they have bigger fish to fry then some of the posters on this forum.
It isn't drama, it's a pain in the ass. I've had to deal with the IRS before, and the hours spent on the phone isn't all that fun. Sure, things worked out in the end, and once one actually can get ahold of someone to talk to, it isn't that bad. Getting to that part is frustrating though. I just guess some peoples time is more valuable than others.

Now back to the topic. I just have a problem having to pay a tax on an item , even if the rate has been reduced due to depreciation on something I've already paid taxes on. Yeah, I could be a little bitter after going through my tax paperwork last night and seeing I paid $40k in just Federal...isn't that enough ? Apparently not.

Old 02-04-2022, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Let us know how that works out for you with the auditor
Shy of some dinner and birthday/Christmas gifts this year, I don't anticipate having anything they'd waste their time with that would be illegal. But sure, I'll be happy to report back to you.

Old 02-04-2022, 09:50 AM

29,964 posts, read 25,089,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
You're wrong. If you remodel your 1995 living room and collect $2300 from ebay on all the knicknacks you sell that had originally cost you $4700, the IRS is getting a 1099 from ebay showing you took in $2300 in revenue and when you can't come up with the $4700 in receipts you are paying the full tax bill on that number

A lot of people also buy stuff at garage sales and especially estate sales, and resell them. They don't always get a reciept with their purchase. In that case, it may be impossible for them to deduct the expense.

By the time you factor in the shipping costs, the fees charged, the hassle of boxing and delivering everything, plus the expense of the shipping supplies... And there are difficult customers out there who will demand a refund for the most minute of imperfections... And there's probably more I'm forgetting...

Ya, it's going to be brutal for sellers unless they can mark up their prices significantly. Places like ebay have been virtually dead for years now compared to the good ol days. This is going to probably do some of these platforms in and relegate them to the dustbin of history, like MySpace, and where Facebook is also headed.

I think the tech sector as a whole is headed into some major turbulence and some of these tech giants will likely fall, or get gobbled up.

Old 02-04-2022, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
You know that is not what this discussion is about. Yet you keep bleating it out on every thread concerning this topic.
Actually it does play into the discussion.

Old 02-04-2022, 09:51 AM

6,456 posts, read 2,782,563 times
Quote:
Yawn.

Tax avoidance is legal. Tax evasion is against the law. Nothing has changed and don't expect anyone to have any sympathy for you if you are the latter.

No one is going to be taxed for basic gifts below the threshold, dinners, money owed by friends, etc. All things you would use the friends and family designation on. In addition, not all apps are currently reporting (subject to change)

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/01/12/irs-...nsactions.html

Splitting dinner with your friend, sending your roommate money for rent or gifting your cousin a round of birthday drinks? Don’t sweat it. “It’s not taxable,” Watson says.

Not to mention if you sold something and don't have a receipt, they will accept an explanation (which shouldn't be hard to look up an approximate market value for the good sold).

Much ado about nothing except for the tax evaders.
"Yes your honor, I wasn't evading taxes I was just trying to avoid them." - Al Capone.

The issue isn't the one-off dinner or repayment someone does. It is that it isn't just the single transaction, if the net over the year goes over $600 it is reported. Sure you can "say" that it is a gift or payment for a friend. And as long as the IRS doesn't question it and asks you to produce the friend you are fine.

And when I sell an item, I have yet to hear of the IRS accepting anyone's "explanation" when it comes to taxes. Perhaps the thousands of agents they are looking to hire are going to be part of the "Kindler and Gentler IRS".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies