Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2021, 10:17 PM

17,618 posts, read 6,905,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I don't have pet allergies, but I do have something else.

My thinking is different. Whenever I see stray dogs or stray cats, I get scared. I wonder what kind of diseases said animals might have. I also consider that said cat or dog might have some other issues. I'm not a fan of dogs in the first place. Seeing a stray I think "said dog might attack me". And I've been in someone's home where a cat was present. Dander all over the place.

One of the reasons I won't get a cat is because of how much effort it takes just to keep a place clean. And then there are the vet appointments, food, etc. Not worth it for me. My home is a pet-free zone. No animals. And I don't plan on getting a pet anytime soon.
I understand that. After my last dog died from lymphoma three years ago, it was kind of liberating not to have to go home every 8-10 hours to make sure he could get outside.

That said, the companionship and love from a dog cannot be underrated or understated. I'll never regret the dogs I had because they gave me so much unconditional love. My dogs were better to me and gave me more happiness than any human being ever did. Ringo, Disco and especially my last dog Walter were probably the best things that ever happened to me in my life.

All of that said, pets aren't for everyone. If you don't want to put the time into taking care of a pet and treating her or him as you would your child, don't get one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2021, 10:17 PM

73,008 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I was afraid it would happen, and now, it is happening everywhere.

This is very sad news.
Some people shouldn't have pets.

I don't have any pets. I've never had a dog. I don't plan on ever getting one. I understand that I'm the kind of person who couldn't handle having a dog. I don't have the patience for it. Training the dog, cleaning up after it, the vet appointments, etc. And I generally don't like most dogs in the first place.

Many people don't realize what goes into taking care of a dog. If you're not ready for that responsibility, don't get a dog.

Old 07-09-2021, 10:23 PM

73,008 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
I understand that. After my last dog died from lymphoma three years ago, it was kind of liberating not to have to go home every 8-10 hours to make sure he could get outside.

That said, the companionship and love from a dog cannot be underrated or understated. I'll never regret the dogs I had because they gave me so much unconditional love. My dogs were better to me and gave me more happiness than any human being ever did. Ringo, Disco and especially my last dog Walter were probably the best things that ever happened to me in my life.

All of that said, pets aren't for everyone. If you don't want to put the time into taking care of a pet and treating her or him as you would your child, don't get one.
Having a dog takes alot of work. And as you mentioned of your dog, there comes a time when the dog dies. If someone isn't ready for the responsibility of having a dog, a person shouldn't get a dog. I'm not ready for a dog, so I'm not getting one. Same reason I don't have any children.

I've always been kind of scared of dogs. Having been chased by dogs a few times, crossing paths with dogs that bark at me like I'm some kind of threat, I've never been sold on a dog. You've had dogs, so for you, dogs provide good companionship. In my case, I've never had one.

Old 07-09-2021, 10:28 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,623 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Very sad, but yes, those who understand rescue and adoption knew this was going to happen. Dogs and cats were adopted while people were shut in happened at record rates.

And now they're being returned to shelters.

On the flipside, that was a year and a half of happiness for rescue dogs and cats that wouldn't have happened without COVID.

Old 07-09-2021, 10:37 PM

23,971 posts, read 15,075,178 times
Quote:
Well, I'm afraid this has been studied and I am correct as usual.

Link: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...or-cats-do-not

Crazee Cat Lady, I expect you to be uninformed, but what's your excuse uggabugga?
The Republican majority legislature in Texas created and passed a law to make it a crime to chain dogs outside in bad weather without shelter, food and water. Governor Abbott vetoed it. Not all Republicans are dog lovers.

Old 07-09-2021, 11:40 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Certainly not confined to California.

It’s a national epidemic and covered by local news, nearly everywhere.

Local Next Door forum is bursting with “ Found Dog” posts.

If I did not already have 2 doggos, I would definitely adopt.
Yes, it has even become a problem in the Republican city of Oklahoma City. Dogs and cats will have to go down, if not enough people will come and adopt them.

Old 07-09-2021, 11:43 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
Quote:
Doesn’t surprise me. Liberals are the most selfish people on the planet and California is full of them. They used these dogs and now the dogs are a burden. It’s sickening to me.
But it has even become a problem in the Republican city of Oklahoma City. A warning has gone out that there are too many cats and dogs needing adoption there and they will have be put down, if not enough people will come and adopt them.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 07-09-2021 at 11:52 PM..

Old 07-09-2021, 11:55 PM

11,460 posts, read 5,989,164 times
Predictable.

There was a flood of people who got a dog for no other reason than to fight temporary boredom. You don't get a pet for a shallow reason like that. The same type of person has no qualms about dumping a pet for no reason.

You could see this coming.

Old 07-10-2021, 09:11 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,651,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
I think all the negligent pet owners should be locked in a "4 x 6" cage with just a bowl of water.
Omit the water. It's truly pathetic what they put these poor animals through. They give them a home and then take it away out of mere inconvenience.

Old 07-10-2021, 09:37 AM

1,601 posts, read 866,468 times
Not just dogs. I've currently got a sweet little tortoiseshell cat living on my back porch that we think was dumped in our neighborhood by the owner. She's probably 8-10 months old and had a collar on. Took her to my vet and she was chipped but the owner never responded when I filed a found pet report. We're feeding her and treated her for fleas and ticks and are trying to get her adopted but may end up having to keep her (I already have two males, so integration is an issue).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies