Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2021, 10:41 PM

12,685 posts, read 6,806,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
"The number of hospitalized COVID-19 patients jumped by nearly 27% over the Fourth of July weekend in a hard-hit area of Missouri where immunization rates are low, leading to a temporary ventilator shortfall and a public call for help from respiratory therapists.

The delta variant, first identified in India, is spreading rapidly, straining hospitals in Springfield and raising fresh fears that the situation could soon grow worse as holiday gatherings seed fresh cases. Missouri leads the nation with the most new cases per capita in the past 14 days." -- WTNH News

Regarding your point about deaths in Missouri, it's too soon for that. These are new cases. On average it takes 18.5 days from diagnosis to mortality.
  • The worst day for cases in Missouri was January 30th, 2021. On that day, there were 335,745 active cases.
  • This number plummeted, bottoming out at 45,238 active cases in early June and slowly increasing thereafter.
  • As of July 6th there were 52,627 active cases. An increase? Yes. A significant increase? No, not really. Relative to where the pandemic has been in Missouri, 52K is still really low.
  • Ultimately, the only important stat is deaths. Deaths and severe permanent injury tend to run parallel. Where there is lot of one, there's a lot of the other. When there's very little of one, there's very little of another.
  • People have died in Missouri. They are not dying right now and the slight uptick in cases does not indicate that we're about to see a massive number of new deaths anytime soon.
  • The numbers being cited by the sensationalist news article completely lacks perspective and context.
  • If this forum didn't get all ban-happy about it, I'd just post a screen-cap of all of the relevant graphs from here: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa/missouri/ This would offer the proper context and perspective, and more or less make my case for me. In comparison to the overall picture, things in Missouri are looking pretty awesome.
  • Since I can't post the graphs, people will just have to click the link and go there for themselves.
  • It's fairly easy to make numbers seem huge when they aren't. For example, if I found a day in Chicago with only one homicide on a Monday, then compared it to the following Saturday with 50 homicides, I could write an article entitled, "Murder Rate in Chicago Increases By 5000% in Just 6 days!!!" Of course this completely ignores that the day with 1 homicide and the day with 50 are both extremely rare anomolies. That is precisely how you're getting "OMG!!! Active Cases increased by 27%!!!" Well sure, if you go to the point where active cases bottomed out, then maybe it has.
  • Regardless, the article is lying. Going from 45,238 to 52,627 is not an increase of "nearly 27%." If you do the math on that on your own, it's actually an increase of 16.333% -- a long ways from 27%.
  • If they're lying (or maybe just screwing up due to incompetence) about the math, then I don't trust them to be honest about pretty much everything. They said X. I checked. They were way off. Not okay.

Last edited by godofthunder9010; 07-06-2021 at 10:51 PM..

Old 07-07-2021, 12:37 AM

21,081 posts, read 8,874,476 times
Usually Covid patients are treated at home with the therapeutics now available which are proven to work. 99% recovery rate.

What other health problems did those MO patients have? This is part of the Ozarks with a high obesity rate which means diabetes, heart problems, kidney problems, etc. If they had to be put on ventilators, they were already in bad shape. How much money does this hospital get for each ventilator patient?

Sounds like the fake news scare stories last year. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

The way the establishment is pushing these vaccines makes me wonder if Big Pharma is giving out bonuses. I'm sure a whistleblower will spill the beans at some point.

Old 07-07-2021, 12:57 AM

30,975 posts, read 21,839,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
88% of those that are testing positive and have symptoms, have had the vax.
Source please. Why do so many people want the covid vaccines to fail?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies