Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2021, 11:15 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
It’s dumb to celebrate sexuality. If they want to celebrate being treated humanely when maybe they haven’t been in the past, that is one thing. To celebrate a sexual preference. Dumb! Since they get to be done, so should straights. Straight pride all the way! It’s time we had our fair share of the parade and celebration pie.
Totally clueless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2021, 11:45 AM

3,078 posts, read 3,264,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
The issue with "straight pride" (in my personal opinion) is most of the people who say we need straight pride say that as a form of protest against gay pride events. That can be a concern.
But could it not be argued that the whole point of "gay pride" is the sense that community has is that it needs these types of expression as a form of "protest" against those they feel are bigoted towards them? Part of the rationale of why there aren't "straight pride" events is the notion that since it's main stream, there is no need to call it out. If homosexuality was similarly mainstream (which I would argue it actually is, but that's another topic), would there even be a need, or more importantly a desire, to emphasize "gay pride"?

Last edited by austinnerd; 06-30-2021 at 12:34 PM..

Old 06-30-2021, 11:48 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vhkmini View Post
LOL. Not sure what your sexual hang-ups are, but most straight guys are into anal.
Lol, 100% correct.

Old 06-30-2021, 12:00 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,071,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

So just shut up about straight pride. We straight people don't need it. Every month is straight pride month, because we face no rejection from society based on our sexual preferences. What we do need is to shut up and listen to LGBT folks.
Well, this is what one of the LGBT folks is saying, in The Washington Post no less:

“ If we want our children to learn and grow from their experiences at Pride, we should hope that they’ll encounter kink when they attend. How else can they learn about the scope and vitality of ***** life?”

Let’s expose toddlers and young children to men wearing leashes and being flogged because:

“Kink visibility is a reminder that any person can and should shamelessly explore what brings joy and excitement. We don’t talk to our children enough about pursuing sex to fulfill carnal needs that delight and captivate us in the moment. Sharing the language of kink culture with young people provides them with valuable information about safe sex practices — such as the importance of establishing boundaries, safe words and signals, affirming the importance of planning and research and the need to seek and give enthusiastic consent.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlo....co/mWHveu1EKR

For toddlers and little kids.

What a person does in their bedroom with another consenting adult is their business. I’m sure there are communities where that is celebrated and encouraged. Fine.

But to deliberately expose little kids to it and to justify it by saying it will be give kid’s confidence is completely wrong. It is well known that little kids who are exposed to sex too early can develop many psychological problems. It’s tantamount to child abuse.

Old 06-30-2021, 12:18 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
I dont think anyone should have to feel shame for who they are and I see nothing wrong with taking pride in who you are or celebrating it. But there is a difference in taking pride in something and being prideful. I dont see the need in knocking others down in order to build yourself up. As far as I know this guy is the only one spouting "straight pride". Is he afraid heteros are going to throw a parade or something? What would that even look like.

Old 06-30-2021, 12:21 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Well, this is what one of the LGBT folks is saying, in The Washington Post no less:

“ If we want our children to learn and grow from their experiences at Pride, we should hope that they’ll encounter kink when they attend. How else can they learn about the scope and vitality of ***** life?”

Let’s expose toddlers and young children to men wearing leashes and being flogged because:

“Kink visibility is a reminder that any person can and should shamelessly explore what brings joy and excitement. We don’t talk to our children enough about pursuing sex to fulfill carnal needs that delight and captivate us in the moment. Sharing the language of kink culture with young people provides them with valuable information about safe sex practices — such as the importance of establishing boundaries, safe words and signals, affirming the importance of planning and research and the need to seek and give enthusiastic consent.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlo....co/mWHveu1EKR

For toddlers and little kids.

What a person does in their bedroom with another consenting adult is their business. I’m sure there are communities where that is celebrated and encouraged. Fine.

But to deliberately expose little kids to it and to justify it by saying it will be give kid’s confidence is completely wrong. It is well known that little kids who are exposed to sex too early can develop many psychological problems. It’s tantamount to child abuse.
How about we make a deal?

I won't judge the whole straight community by what one straight persons says, and you don't judge the gay community on what one gay person says?

Deal?

Old 06-30-2021, 12:24 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,071,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
How about we make a deal?

I won't judge the whole straight community by what one straight persons says, and you don't judge the gay community on what one gay person says?

Deal?

Not judging the whole gay community (did you miss the part where I acknowledge what consenting adults do in their bedroom?). But I’m judging this poor excuse of a mother and The Washington Post for printing this.

Old 06-30-2021, 12:33 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
The feeling of pride is something some here are misinterpreting. It doesn't mean my pride diminishes yours.
Exactly. And the same could be said about any marginalized group - or any group at all.

Does celebrating St. Patrick's Day and Irish heritage with a parade diminish the cultural pride of any other ethnic group? Nope. Does celebrating Polish heritage with a St. Pulaski Day parade diminish Irish heritage? Nope again.

The small-mindedness of some folks is astounding!

Old 06-30-2021, 12:38 PM

10,456 posts, read 4,040,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Well, us straight Christians, Catholics and Jewish people pretty much own the next 7 months. So no worries.

Old 06-30-2021, 12:39 PM

24,495 posts, read 17,232,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
BLM isn’t about lifting a group over another. Its about lifting a group up to be treated like all the others.

and straight people have tons of pride. We wear wedding bands, some of us out in public, we post photos and brag about anniversaries or weddings.

We don’t think anything of it because its normal. When you walk in and ask for a wedding cake there is no part of you that thinks a bakery would refuse your money because your wife is blonde or older…

but it does happen to gay couples.

I think its odd when people say discriminatory things to certain groups (not saying you do but CD has a rep for bashing gay folks) and then wonder why they have a movement to prop their group up or have pride in themselves.

BLM might not want to lift themselves above other groups but the politicians are doing that for them.

What is crazy is that Black people make up approx. 14% of the population yet when you start breaking down all the inroads into politics, political appointed posts and higher levels of management in municipalities Black people are actually very well represented at nearly 40%. Imagine that near 40% of so many jobs are held by Black people in what we are being told is he most racist country on the planet. How does that happen?

My wife and I have gay friends and in the Summer we often travel to a gay persons tourist spot mecca because it is a fun place with a European feel. On any given day you will see drag queens, transgendered people, gay men holding hands, gay women sharing a kiss. It is all so cosmopolitan.

I guess I'm lucky to live in an area that is so welcoming, diverse and accepting of others... just don't admit you like Trump because you will be cancelled... and everything is fine.

In the end we all just need to live and let live and don't push our politics, religion or sexual orientation onto others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies