Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2021, 03:31 AM

2,335 posts, read 816,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Yes, but I'm not talking about San Jose, which is many miles south. I'm talking about San Francisco itself. The only thing I know is that one of the branches of the Federal Reserve banking system is in San Francisco. Which means that San Francisco is the major center of finance for the west coast.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...serve_branches

Basically, I assume that when silicon valley needs financing for whatever they're doing, they go to San Francisco to get the money.
You do realize many people actually commute from San Francisco to work at those companies, don't you? And those people spend plenty of money in retail, restaurants, and services. Have you seen the huge skyscraper downtown owned by a company named Salesforce? Yep, plenty of banking. Gap, Levi Strauss, and other retail corporate offices are there. McKession. It also houses the world renown UCSF (a very major player with the pandemic going on). Lucas films. I know Twitter and Yelp used to have a presence there (not sure if they've moved). I believe Uber is also located there.

You've also got the Giants and the Warriors both with stadiums there. And of course the massive tourism industry.

I'm honesty not understanding what you're not seeing.

Last edited by dicipher; 07-02-2021 at 03:45 AM..

Old 07-02-2021, 03:59 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,242,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Yes, but I'm not talking about San Jose, which is many miles south. I'm talking about San Francisco itself. The only thing I know is that one of the branches of the Federal Reserve banking system is in San Francisco. Which means that San Francisco is the major center of finance for the west coast.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...serve_branches

Basically, I assume that when silicon valley needs financing for whatever they're doing, they go to San Francisco to get the money.

First of all, there are hundreds of tech companies in San Francisco. Salesforce, Linkin, Twitter, Pinterest, Slack, Unity, just to name a few.

Second, it's only about 45 mins drive from San Francisco to San Jose.

Third, many tech companies are NOT in San Jose. They are in Palo Alto/Menlo Park/Mountain View (the golden triangle as I like to call them) and they are closer to SF than SJ. On a good day, you can get from SF to Menlo Park in 30 mins (not during rush hour of course).

Fourth, the Federal Reserve is just a central bank. It is not in the business of financing startups.

Fifth, Palo Alto is world famous for where you go to get money for financing hot technology.

Sixth, as dicipher said, many live in San Francisco and work in Palo Alto and vice versa. The whole region from the Napa Valley to San Francisco to Oakland to Palo Alto to San Jose is one big economic hub. It's best to think of them as one.

Old 07-02-2021, 05:22 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,218,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicipher View Post
You do realize many people actually commute from San Francisco to work at those companies, don't you? And those people spend plenty of money in retail, restaurants, and services. Have you seen the huge skyscraper downtown owned by a company named Salesforce? Yep, plenty of banking. Gap, Levi Strauss, and other retail corporate offices are there. McKession. It also houses the world renown UCSF (a very major player with the pandemic going on). Lucas films. I know Twitter and Yelp used to have a presence there (not sure if they've moved). I believe Uber is also located there.

You've also got the Giants and the Warriors both with stadiums there. And of course the massive tourism industry.

I'm honesty not understanding what you're not seeing.
Development tends to happen around the primary driver of the economy, not in a city 50 miles away. When it comes to the American economy, the primary driver of most economies is either finance, manufacturing, technology, government, or natural resources. Those are the things that really "bring money in" from other parts of the country/world. Without a constant inflow, the outflows tend to drain the local economy.

Washington D.C. is 100% driven by government. The inflow of money is taxes. I'm sure there are many businesses and sports teams and retail, etc. But those are really only local or regional. They aren't bringing money in. Without that inflow of money, Washington D.C. would turn into a ghosttown.

In the case of New York City. Sure there is broadway, and there are sports teams and fancy restaurants, but those don't bring money in. They're where the bankers/financiers go to spend their money. Without finance, New York City would turn into a ghosttown.

Here in Oklahoma the primary driver of the economy is oil and gas. Without that, all we have left is agriculture. I live right next to Tinker Air Force Base. That is a significant driver of the local economy. That doesn't mean everyone works for Tinker, but it means that the people who work for Tinker spend their federal government money here in the local community. Which then bounces around from business to business. So it isn't just the direct impact of that money, but the sort of indirect or multiplicative effect of that money.

There are many small towns across the country that would basically be abandoned if the local military base was closed.

As for San Francisco. I know most of the recent boom has been related to technology. But if it is tech then you would assume it would be more centered around San Jose. But it seems that San Francisco is skimming off a significant portion of the profits, or at least a significant portion is being redirected there.

But as you say, there is also a lot of tech located in San Francisco itself. I have heard of the salesforce tower, although I have never in my private life heard of salesforce as a brand. So it might be that the recent boom is related to that company and others in the area. But it seems to me more probable that it is more centered around finance itself. A lot of talk in the article below about venture-capital and investments in silicon valley startups.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/06/cali...k-is-real.html

Which is unsurprising. Amazon stock went up far faster last year than Amazon profits. Early investors in tech startups became overnight billionaires. Finance made a killing last year. Not just in tech but in real-estate, as the market has been flooded with capital and people needing a hedge against inflation. A lot also went into crypto.

Old 07-02-2021, 05:28 AM

33,315 posts, read 12,559,163 times
Quote:
It was actually about TheseGoTo11 knowing where Pelosi lived as I locked in on the word "speaker". And I think it's fair to call out this poster as he tends to sensationalize things and his comment was hogwash. I happen to have two clients that live in Pelosi's neighborhood where her house is located (at least until I left in late 2017). One was a big donor or hers, and both said they rarely saw her. And you were correct in saying she does not have a wall around her house (glad you checked this poster on his comment also). I don't buy for a second that he's been by Pelosi's house and doubt if he knows what kind of security she has. I just get sick of people just making up stuff.

For some reason, ATX decided to get in the middle of it (not sure why she feels like defending that poster).

^^^^^ Got it

Quote:
The conversation denigrated into some holier than thou comments by her (claiming superiority because she lived in SF for 20+ years and that she had been on this forum longer using the term "newbie" in a derogatory manner). Then there was this ridiculous insinuation..." You can find it in public tax records if it means that much to you." Not sure what to think of that comment since as far as I know, you can't just go to some site to get someone's tax records to look up an address.

The U.S. Code states that "[federal tax] returns and return information shall be confidential." This extends to any of the information related to the returns, such as reviews, audits, and any effort to collect unpaid taxes. In fact, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) can't even tell anyone whether you filed a tax return.
^^^^^ You can't look up someone's tax return, but you can look up public filings that generate a record at the county recorder's office, including those re properties:

https://sfassessor.org/recorder-info...records-search

I looked up my aunt and uncle's house of over 30 years, and it shows the transfers between their kids after my aunt died.

I also shows a Federal tax lien that was released last year on a property with Christine Pelosi (Nancy's daughter) listed on the deed.

Quote:
I also know if you were to look up Presidio Terrace just using wikipedia, you would find a comment regarding notable residents...

"Many notable San Franciscans have lived in Presidio Terrace over the years"...that list does include Pelosi and Feinstein. I have no idea where Feinstein lives, but Pelosi does not live there based on my clients comments and as of the time I left SF (and sorry, I trust them over an internet poster...sounds like Pelosi lived there at some point in the past) . Not sure why she wants to challenge someone that lived there 10 years longer than she did since she claims to have left in 2008 in post #29.

Personally I simply get tired of posters (TheseGoTo11) that just try to throw a bunch of crap against the wall and make outrageous claims and just try and see what will stick. I know the comment to be a lie so I challenged it.

And then we have the rant about the homeless which she joined in on (noticed that after this nonsense about TheseToGo11). The fact of the matter is the homeless problem seems more pronounced in San Francisco because it's mostly in the tourist areas (and as a former resident, ATX Wahine should know this). But places like NYC, Seattle, LA, and San Diego have a higher population of homeless than San Francisco does. I know areas in Phoenix and Boston also have issues. Ironically, my new neck of the woods (the Austin metropolitan area, which I believe ATX lives in) also has a homeless problem and it's certainly been all over the news (I noticed she didn't mention that).

Ultimately, polls like these mean nothing to me as most people tend to be bitter when the they don't make enough to live comfortable in high COL areas like San Francisco, so they find all sort of other things to **** and moan about. I'm not too worried about it. We have still have our house just outside San Francisco and one outside of Austin. I couldn't be happier that people find San Francisco so desirable to live in (despite this nonsensical poll). A house we bought for $280k is now worth $1.3 million, and we haven't done bad on the house just outside of Austin either (although I would prefer the value not go up as we are planning on it being our forever home and would prefer the property tax not go up....a completely different tax situation than the Prop 13 protection we have on our Bay Area home).
I read that Wikipedia entry as well because ATX mentioned that the street Presidio terrace is gated, and I thought that was incorrect but, according to Wikipedia, that is correct.

Quote:
I will say that pretty much everyone I've met since I've gotten to Texas has been warm and friendly and they don't get into the childish California vs Texas nonsense. I guess that friendliness doesn't apply to people online as evidenced by this poster. That's unfortunate.
Same here ^^^^^.

And it seems all three of us (you, me, and ATX) like people in Texas just fine (I'm a Bay Area native, and my house is 160+ miles west of you in The Woodlands)

I'm thinking TheseGoTo11's post #20 = a typo (re the rest of the post being about Pelosi, but typing in Feinstein), and that he or she knows that Pelosi, and not Feinstein, is the Speaker....but that is unknown.

Old 07-02-2021, 05:38 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,527,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
I have never been to San Fransicso but my Dad had, and he had been to a lot of countries in his life, he told me that it was the most beautiful city that he had ever seen.
It's been a while I suspect....

Old 07-02-2021, 05:45 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,527,926 times
Quote:
Uh, because she got the neighborhood wrong. Clearly it's just something she tried to look up on line. And yes, your guess would be right... But that has nothing to do with what we were talking about.
Decipher is right on this one. She doesn't live on Presidio Tce. Maybe she used to, I don't know, but she sure doesn't now. She lives down the road a bit on Billionaire's Row at Pacific Heights.

Last edited by Aussiehoff; 07-02-2021 at 05:59 AM..

Old 07-02-2021, 06:11 AM

1,665 posts, read 977,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLcycler View Post
I back the slogan... and just left the armpit of America (Seattle, WA) after 10 years for Florida. Quality of life was definitely on the decline which is one of the reasons I moved. Shouldn't be a surprise either... Seattle, SF, Portland... all garbage left coast cities destroyed by Democratic leadership.

Next time you visit Seattle make sure you stop by the Space Needle or the King Co courthouse and pose with all the tents full of homeless drug addicts that are all over the area. They're close enough to be included in the photograph.

Now I'll just sit back for the next 3 1/2 years in a red state ran by the best governor in the nation while laughing my ass off at Biden's America saying like every other conservative "we told you so."

Wife and I went to Anchorage and had a long layover in Seattle. We've always wanted to go and see the skyline and the Space Needle. Well we went to the SN and went back to the airport. It would not bother us again if we ever went back. Seeing the SN was a mark off the ol bucket. But Seattle left a nasty taste in our mouths. And that was in March of 2020. I can't and don't want to try to imagine it today.

But San Francisco! We loved seeing the city. Too expensive for our taste but how we long to go back. Just for a few days. I think I can stomach being there. Especially in Chinatown. Something mystical about that place!

Old 07-02-2021, 06:36 AM

23,577 posts, read 17,249,899 times
Default and Nancy said......

Wonder if Nancy and Adam participated in that poll and what they thought about QOL in their guarded estates?

Old 07-02-2021, 07:11 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,514,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
You can't look up someone's tax return, but you can look up public filings that generate a record at the county recorder's office, including those re properties:

https://sfassessor.org/recorder-info...records-search

I looked up my aunt and uncle's house of over 30 years, and it shows the transfers between their kids after my aunt died.

I also shows a Federal tax lien that was released last year on a property with Christine Pelosi (Nancy's daughter) listed on the deed.

Yes ... property tax records in the State of CA are almost all public records; I believe LA County is the only exception. Totally separate data than actual tax returns which are private. You can use various online sites to search property records. It appears that Pelosi sold her Presidio Ter home, and Diane Feinstein transferred hers over to her daughter, who sold it several years later.

Old 07-02-2021, 07:17 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,514,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanGuitarist View Post
Wife and I went to Anchorage and had a long layover in Seattle. We've always wanted to go and see the skyline and the Space Needle. Well we went to the SN and went back to the airport. It would not bother us again if we ever went back. Seeing the SN was a mark off the ol bucket. But Seattle left a nasty taste in our mouths. And that was in March of 2020. I can't and don't want to try to imagine it today.

But San Francisco! We loved seeing the city. Too expensive for our taste but how we long to go back. Just for a few days. I think I can stomach being there. Especially in Chinatown. Something mystical about that place!
Chinatown has always been my favorite part of SF. Maybe because I am a Pacific Islander, and my mother did a lot of her shopping on Grant St. when I was growing up. I used to love visiting the apothecary with her, with those walls full of tiny drawers containing all kinds of powders and potions and Lord knows what else. lol. We attended the Lunar New Year festival almost every year, and even though I live in Austin now I’ve come home several times just to see the parade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies