Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2021, 04:06 PM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
What blueprint is that? Make the country 93% white?

Most people get what I am saying. Unless you are far right or far left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2021, 04:24 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,075,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
This GOP governor is flying under the radar. He is the most popular governor if you go by margin of victory in the last election. His state did the best per capita during the pandemic and they have a huge budget surplus due to his fiscal restraint. He demonstrates a blueprint to the future of the GOP and the country if they are willing to see what is right in front of them.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...=pocket-newtab

Scott’s bare-bones 2020 campaign was notable only because it delivered to him, a Republican running in America’s bluest state, the largest gubernatorial landslide in the country. Vermont voters handed Joe Biden a wider margin of victory—more than 35 points—than did any other state, but more of them cast their ballots for Scott, who won by 40.
You call it fiscal restrait the residents call it very high taxes but a blueprint for the GOP I doubt. The GOP mouthpieces want the extreme rights model with calling out anyone who doesn't fall lockstep in with the message and that would never fly in Vermont. People want Governors who are moderate and able to work with both sides of the aisle, hard liners in either direction will create a distaste that can be their undoing.

Last edited by VA Yankee; 06-01-2021 at 04:34 PM..

Old 06-02-2021, 05:11 AM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
You call it fiscal restrait the residents call it very high taxes but a blueprint for the GOP I doubt. The GOP mouthpieces want the extreme rights model with calling out anyone who doesn't fall lockstep in with the message and that would never fly in Vermont. People want Governors who are moderate and able to work with both sides of the aisle, hard liners in either direction will create a distaste that can be their undoing.

We probably need a new party that carves out the middle leaving the 10-20% which are extremists on each side. I think most rational people want this. That includes 40% or so who don't even vote because they are so turned off by the two parties and their nonsense.

Old 06-02-2021, 05:16 AM

33,325 posts, read 12,491,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
Just because you have an R next to your name doesn’t mean you should. He’s about as Republican as Romney, Cheney, Murkowski, Collins, etc, is.

These people are not the future of the Republican Party and the sooner they all leave and join the Democrats , the better.
Oh, the irony.

Old 06-02-2021, 05:37 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,583,387 times
Funny irony. I see lots of stories on the internet calling him a RINO.

Old 06-02-2021, 05:48 AM

5,651 posts, read 6,206,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Funny irony. I see lots of stories on the internet calling him a RINO.
Any moderate Republican is thus labeled and shunned these days. The Democrats do it to their moderates too if they are deemed not far enough to the left.

Old 06-02-2021, 06:07 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,583,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
Any moderate Republican is thus labeled and shunned these days. The Democrats do it to their moderates too if they are deemed not far enough to the left.
I know. I used to be a Republican. Then life happened and the GOP became a conservative peen size contest. I wont join the Democratic party. They went the other way.

Most sane people are forced to choose between two crazies.

One reason I would love to see ranked choice voting and jungle primaries along with a lobbying ban and strict time/ money limits on campaigns.

July 1 national primary. Top 5 advance to the general election.

Yes I know this would require an amendment to the constitution.

Old 06-02-2021, 06:15 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Sadly, party loyalists only want extremists. Many don't want a politician who can appeal to all.

As seen right here in this very thread. Look at all the cries of "RINO" and the like.

Old 06-02-2021, 06:16 AM

1,301 posts, read 665,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Yeah, but that can turn on a dime though. Democrats are fickle.

Chris Christie won re-election in very blue NJ in a complete landslide. He was so loved for getting property taxes under control, that he won his second term something like 60% to 36%.

By the time he finished his second term, the majority dems in the state hated him beyond belief.

Democrats tend to vote based on emotion, not based on reason or logic.
The anti-Trump hatred was almost entirely emotional, not policy or reason based.

Old 06-02-2021, 06:32 AM

72,979 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumerian_Summer View Post
Democrats tend to vote based on emotion, not based on reason or logic.
The anti-Trump hatred was almost entirely emotional, not policy or reason based.
Alot of Republicans vote based on emotion as well. People from both parties are guilty of that. Politics is driven by emotion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies