Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2021, 08:57 PM

32,143 posts, read 15,132,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Indeed. And a Vermont Republican is a Democrat anywhere else.
Party affliction doesn't matter if they can win over both republicans and democrats. This is how all politicians should be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2021, 09:09 PM

73,131 posts, read 62,791,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Our blue state has a republican governor who is serving his second term. I would vote for him again if I could. Extremists only appeal to their party, moderates appeal to all.
Sadly, party loyalists only want extremists. Many don't want a politician who can appeal to all.

Old 05-31-2021, 09:22 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,668,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
And we have a popular Democratic Governor here in blood red Kentucky. The thing both governors share is that they are true moderates, believe in comprise, move on when their legislature votes down a policy they were promoting, reach out to leaders in the opposing party, and in my mind the biggest factor, are legitimately focused on what’s best for the people of their state. In other words, they are leaders first and politicians second.

Scott and my Beshear are not the only ones, the article points out Maryland’s Hogan and Massachusetts’ Barker, but there are more. Romney fit in that category when he was Massachusetts’ governor. Bipartisanship is welcome in governors, it used to be welcome in presidents and is a true shame it no longer is. We could have had a President Kaisich or President Webb in 2016, unfortunately they couldn’t get past the primary to make it to the general election. That needs to be fixed.
I’m a fellow Kentuckian. I wholeheartedly agree. Bipartisanship should be a virtue in an executive. It doesn’t matter what party they are from, they were elected to represent all of the people and they should do their best to do so. I’d argue Biden is trying to carry on this tradition, but the country is such a mess right now that it’s impossible.

Old 05-31-2021, 10:06 PM

20,129 posts, read 16,206,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I’m a fellow Kentuckian. I wholeheartedly agree. Bipartisanship should be a virtue in an executive. It doesn’t matter what party they are from, they were elected to represent all of the people and they should do their best to do so. I’d argue Biden is trying to carry on this tradition, but the country is such a mess right now that it’s impossible.
No, he’s not. Not at all. The Biden of 10-12 years ago probably would have but unfortunately not the man currently occupying the White House. Joe Manchin and Kristen Semina, on the other hand are trying, thankfully.

Andy Beshear did not wait months to meet with Republican legislature leaders. Andy Beshear held joint bipartisan news conferences on crucial matters. Andy Beshear cooperatively worked with people on BOTH sides of the aisle on critical issues, including Covid election changes. Andy Beshear has visited and given support to counties that did not vote for him. Beshear tries to take care of all Kentuckians, not just those that voted for him. Andy Beshear would NEVER encourage, let alone advocate, a money making venture leave a primarily Republican county, leaving small businesses empty handed, because he didn’t like the local politicians decisions - never. None of the governors mentioned in that article would do that. Seriously, Biden encouraging the MLB to move venues was one of the single most blatantly partisan things I have ever witnessed any president in my lifetime do.

Look, I’m not someone who has never voted for a Democrat, even at a national level. I did vote for Democratic Beshear in ‘19. I voted 3rd party this presidential election. I am not so partisan that I blindly hate any Democratic president. But, I’m sorry, Biden is no Bill Clinton when it comes to working across the aisle. He does not share the characteristics of the governors mentioned in this thread.

Old 05-31-2021, 10:17 PM

29,626 posts, read 16,607,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Most Americans are in the middle. Perhaps a little to the left and right. The problem both extremes are the loudest like AOC or MTG. One of the two parties will figure out how to put up candidates that work for most Americans and not scare them away. The far right and far left can do their own extreme parties that will not get elected to anything.
AOC and MTG arent comparable.

The ideological leftist equivalent to MTG would not come close to winning a Democratic primary for congress, unless the seat was R+25

Old 05-31-2021, 10:37 PM

29,626 posts, read 16,607,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Sadly, party loyalists only want extremists. Many don't want a politician who can appeal to all.
I would say no one can appeal to all.

Quote:
Our blue state has a republican governor who is serving his second term. I would vote for him again if I could. Extremists only appeal to their party, moderates appeal to all.
I would say most of these governors we define as moderates simply dont make waves and have legislatures that can override their vetos.

The examples thrown around in this thread are great examples of this. Every republican governor listed has signed legislation that would be rejected if it were in a red state.

They all govern left of center, but get called moderate, and it doesnt really make sense.

No different than John Bel edwards governing right of center in Louisiana.

Quote:
Party affliction doesn't matter if they can win over both republicans and democrats. This is how all politicians should be.
I think the point of that post is that Phil Scott only has an R next to his name because getting through a primary was easier.

There is nothing in his legislative record that makes him a Republican, or even right of center. In fact, it could be argued that he is to the left of a good chunk of Democrats nationwide.

Old 05-31-2021, 10:44 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,402,123 times
Quote:
This GOP governor is flying under the radar. He is the most popular governor if you go by margin of victory in the last election. His state did the best per capita during the pandemic and they have a huge budget surplus due to his fiscal restraint. He demonstrates a blueprint to the future of the GOP and the country if they are willing to see what is right in front of them.
What blueprint is that? Make the country 93% white?

Old 05-31-2021, 10:49 PM

5,655 posts, read 6,240,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
the "battle for the US" is not between Dems and Repubs alone. It is primarily among those who identify as Independent.

If anyone wants to assert that the "hard-core" leftist wing is too far left, and is dragging otherwise moderate Dems their way, then you should understand that Independents are going to no more side with a Republican Party that conducts a "purity" test, especially one that leads through a guy named Trump.
Quote:
As a independent AOC and Kamala Harris make me shutter. But the far right and the voter fraud nonsense and Trump love at all costs gives me the same reaction. My ideal America is not welcoming of all this extreme. And I believe most Americans agree with me.
I can't say it any better than the above. Completely agree, it's where I am as well. Can't rep you again.yet

Old 06-01-2021, 07:08 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,837,389 times
Vermont is mostly rural and one of the least densely populated states. Social distancing is a way of life for many, regardless of Covid. The largest city, Burlington, has a population of 45,000. Fewer people. Fewer challenges.

Governor closed schools, restaurants, bars, mandated masks, restricted sales to only essential goods,etc.
Appears most people went along with it and did not feel the need to storm the state capital as happened in Michigan. Unlike say the Dakotas, that let it rip, which led to the highest infection and death rate in the world, late last fall.

Vermont is one of the least restrictive states in terms of gun ownership and carry.

The state legislature is majority Democrat. Scott is very moderate.

Population is super majority white. It was the first state to abolish slavery, despite people did not own slaves. No plantations. No major manufacturing to attract impoverished white and black people from the south and immigrants seeking economic opportunities.

Old 06-01-2021, 04:05 PM

30,262 posts, read 11,884,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
AOC and MTG arent comparable.

The ideological leftist equivalent to MTG would not come close to winning a Democratic primary for congress, unless the seat was R+25

They are both wack jobs with different ideologies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies