Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2021, 09:51 PM

2,059 posts, read 2,014,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
False, economy was much less stable from 1870 till 1940

Had post WW2 stability as we were about the only major economy to emerge with my our infrastructure unscathed
I should have been more specific (post WW2). I have never seen a economy climb out of a major economic crisis (2008) so fast as compared to to coming out of the great depression which took WW2 to get us out of it.

We are in uncharted territory post pandemic. I'm invested in mutual funds with my retirement account but I'm watching far more closely if things turn south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2021, 10:10 PM

26,979 posts, read 16,052,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
I should have been more specific (post WW2). I have never seen a economy climb out of a major economic crisis (2008) so fast as compared to to coming out of the great depression which took WW2 to get us out of it.

We are in uncharted territory post pandemic. I'm invested in mutual funds with my retirement account but I'm watching far more closely if things turn south.
I've switched from 80% growth oriented to 80% value. A lot in BRK.B Berkshire Hathaway. Just due to the high valuations it's time to ready for a decline but I don't see any economic calamity on the horizon like I did in February 2020 where I did cut my future short term losses in half by taking a large cash position. It's really the only time I've engaged in market timing just because it seemed obvious the pandemic was going to hit hard. Though I never expected it to this extent.

Honestly it seems we've been printing too much money and running too high deficits for a couple decades to me but I guess not.

Basically if the markets drop 10% I'm taking a hard look at moving 30% or more to cash

Old 05-09-2021, 10:18 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,860,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttboy View Post
How convenient you forgot Mr Peanut

Carter

Carter took office during a period of "stagflation", as the economy experienced both high inflation and low economic growth. ... The 1979 energy crisis ended a period of growth; both inflation and interest rates rose, while economic growth, job creation, and consumer confidence declined sharply.

Reagan

During the Reagan administration, real GDP growth averaged 3.5%, compared to 2.9% during the preceding eight years. The annual average unemployment rate declined by 1.7 percentage points, from 7.2% in 1980 to 5.5% in 1988, after it had increased by 1.6 percentage points over the preceding eight years.

And the jury is still out on Biden
I was a kid when Carter was President, but I remember going to get gas with my dad in the late 70s and waiting in a massive line only to be allowed to fill the tank part way due to low supply. We had to plan trips based on how much gas we'd use.

Carter is a decent man, but was remarkably inept as President.

Biden's plan is to cave into unions, and try to send the economy back to the 1950s. It's not producing bad results because the Fed is increasing the money supply at record rates. But the infra bill is not really about building bridges or ports, it's more about paying back unions for the political support during the campaign. I'm very anti-Trump, but raising corporate tax rates to pay back union thugs is not a plan that makes a lot of sense, especially if government has to start paying out more interest at the same time.

Old 05-09-2021, 10:38 PM

25,211 posts, read 9,900,873 times
Don’t worry, just blame Trump.

Democrats think paying people to stay home is a good thing.

Old 05-09-2021, 11:03 PM

11,224 posts, read 8,125,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
If you are so concerned about wealth inequality, then you should support Biden, who wants to enact programs to help the poor and middle-class, and pay for it with taxes on that wealthy 1% you noted.
And when he runs out of their money.. he’ll come after yours….

Old 05-09-2021, 11:17 PM

26,979 posts, read 16,052,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
No, he won't. He can't doesn't have the votes in Congress.

Old 05-09-2021, 11:18 PM

25,211 posts, read 9,900,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Bingo. We’ve seen this movie before and it doesn’t have a happy ending.

Old 05-10-2021, 05:05 AM

30,997 posts, read 21,919,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I seriously doubt it. Even if it does happen, we'll survive inflation just like we did before, even though President Ford's silly WIN buttons didn't do much good. Whip Inflation Now! He was a Republican president who got voted out, like Trump.
Ford tripped as much as Joe getting on and off a plane jane. Get ready for gas to go up this coming week as a gnat has farted.

Old 05-10-2021, 05:07 AM

30,997 posts, read 21,919,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough_Already View Post
The people did not want Obamacare but the radical democrats used dirty backroom deals to pass it anyway.
Forced health care was a joke with that silly fine thanks to that turn coat Roberts and Obama.

Old 05-10-2021, 05:21 AM

6,146 posts, read 2,361,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Forced health care was a joke with that silly fine thanks to that turn coat Roberts and Obama.
When Republicans roll out their plan we will all be saved - 2010 Republicans

When Republicans roll out their plan we will all be saved - 2021 Republicans
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies