Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2021, 04:45 AM

59,543 posts, read 27,799,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Not surprised. Many conservatives are tax freeloaders: they expect full military protection, Social Security, Medicare, generous veterans benefits, Border Patrol, national parks, etc. but they don't want to pay for it.
"Many conservatives are tax freeloaders" Most conservatives have JOBS and pay MOST of the taxes.

Liberal are the ones on welfare the most.

Old 05-09-2021, 04:46 AM

19,331 posts, read 17,316,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"All I know is my taxes went up during the last administration"

What taxes? County, city state, etc.

85% of ALL Americans got a tax break during the last administration.
Federal obligation because of changes with deductions. Remember it was the rich who got their taxes significantly cut not the average person....

Old 05-09-2021, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Tax consultants should have the highest taxes levied against them, as they save the rich from paying taxes.
"as they save the rich from paying taxes."

The "rich" pay over 80% of ALL income taxes collected.

You lose, again!

And WE are the UN-educated!

And keep in mind, dems controlled the U.S. House of representatives for 40 STRAIGHT years and have had MORE control of the fed a LOT MORE then repubs. So guess where all those "loopholes" came from.

Old 05-09-2021, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Meh, I don't notice a big difference either way regardless of who is in the White House.

As far as state taxes, I noticed that when the Republicans were in both the Governor's office and the Legislature in North Carolina, while income taxes went down slightly (a fraction of 1 percent), various fees, such as motor vehicle registrations and new sales taxes on various services that were previously untaxed took effect so while the claim was that "taxes are being lowered", that was negated by higher fees across the board, making it a wash for most people.

The people who always seem to make out well from a tax perspective, no matter who is in office, are married couples with kids.
NC cost index is still a lot LOWER then many other states at no 21 out of 50.

NC cost index is 94.9 compared to the average of 104,63.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/st...tes-to-live-in

Old 05-09-2021, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
You're not entirely correct. There is nowhere in the constitution that says the federal government cannot assist with education, health care, food/housing, etc., and that is a much, MUCH better use of our tax money than things like military and subsidies for corporations. Corporations are people. the federal government adjusting legislation to allow corporations to not pay a fair share of taxes is a problem. The federal government bailing out failing companies with taxpayer money is a problem, as well. (I have worked in the investment management industry for a long time, I have seen firsthand the pressure put on government by private enterprise). The federal government spends north of $70 billion/year on programs that are intended to benefit private businesses. That money would be better spent on programs that benefit citizens. Those citizens can then support businesses.

No US Citizen should struggle for food, water, housing, education (that's a fundamental goal of a civilized society, in my opinion), and that's absolutely something a federal government should help with.

I was a hardcore libertarian when I was younger. I completely understand your view, and I understand how strongly we might disagree, so this may be a time where we just agree to disagree.
" There is nowhere in the constitution that says the federal government cannot assist with education, health care, food/housing, etc."
But it DOES SPECIFY what it CAN do.

U.S. Constitution - Article 1 Section 8

Article 1 - The Legislative Branch
Section 8 - Powers of Congress

https://usconstitution.net/xconst_A1Sec8.html

Old 05-09-2021, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Why can't we have a set flat rate for all American taxpayers with absolutely no deductions for business or personal?

It is not the job of the federal government to step in and pay for any persons stupidity or personal choice, business or otherwise.
Why can't we have a national sales tax ONLY. The MORE you buy, the MORE you pay in taxes.

That way even drug dealers pay taxes when they buy things from the money they make.

And look at how much we would save with a much smaller IRS.

Old 05-09-2021, 05:26 AM

7,240 posts, read 2,862,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
The Constitution enumerates the powers of the federal government. It doesn't list every power the government doesn't have.
Exactly. The Constitution lists what the Federal government CAN'T do. Most "government" is supposed to be at the state and local level.

Old 05-09-2021, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Federal obligation because of changes with deductions. Remember it was the rich who got their taxes significantly cut not the average person....
" Remember it was the rich who got their taxes significantly cut not the average person...."

Not true. They STILL paid MORE in taxes, about 85% of ALL taxes collected, then the rest of us.

Old 05-09-2021, 05:28 AM

7,240 posts, read 2,862,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
The other half pay no taxes or are net parasites.
They are zero liability voters. They line up for free stuff because they aren't paying for them anyway.

Old 05-09-2021, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
Exactly. The Constitution lists what the Federal government CAN'T do. Most "government" is supposed to be at the state and local level.
"Exactly. The Constitution lists what the Federal government CAN'T do.

Did you NOT read what I posted

It DOES SPECIFY what it CAN do. It CANNOT do anything NOT SPECIFIED in the Constitution.

U.S. Constitution - Article 1 Section 8

Article 1 - The Legislative Branch
Section 8 - Powers of Congress

https://usconstitution.net/xconst_A1Sec8.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies