Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2021, 08:40 AM

379 posts, read 157,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovefromANFIELD View Post
But, again your premise is still made up. Approval ratings vs. popular vote share metric is always compared in a timeframe leading up to the elections. That's how they're quoted.

Approval ratings do matter--leading up to the election. Every single president's popular vote share in modern times has come within one percentage points of the average of his approval rating right leading up to the election. That's a fact.

Four year average approval rating, especially after the election is never used as a metric to gauge the worthiness of approval rating vs. popular vote share. And, if Trump had an approval rating of 38% right before the election, he would have lost by 18-20 points.
Aggregate polling data shows Trump with an approval rating under 40% (per gold standard 538) for 4 years yet he wins a national election and comes within 44k votes of winning another.

I’m left to conclude that approval rating means very little when determining one’s odds of winning a national election in the months or years leading up to the election.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2021, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry-Koala View Post
"...the election was ultimately decided by ~44k votes over 3 states."

That's the point. It was close in those three states only, not over the whole country. If it wasn't for the Electoral College the election wouldn't have been considered close at all. Ultimately, even the bias of the Electoral College was not enough to overcome Trump's low numbers which reflected his ongoing low ratings.

And Biden got the most votes in history for a presidential candidate–more than 80 million.
A national election came down to 44k votes despite one of the candidates having an aggregate approval rating under 40% for 4 years.

Thus, I’m left to conclude that approval ratings are irrelevant in determine one’s odds of winning.

Old 04-15-2021, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
I like the effort in trying to be intellectual but please don't tell someone else what is relevant vs. irrelevant.

Why would you compare approval rating (i.e. popular vote) to the electoral college?

Why would you then make the leap to Trump getting more votes (i.e. popular vote) than any sitting president?

On the positive side, it's refreshing to see people coming to terms with the fact that Trump lost and it wasn't a "stolen election".
Facts:

A candidate CAN have an aggregate approval rating around or under 40% and still win a national election.

Evidence:

Trump wins in 2016 and comes within 44k votes of winning again in 2020.

Thus, an approval rating as low as 35-40% is not an accurate indicator of how a person will perform in national elections.

The reason for that is unclear. Is it bias in the polls? Difficulty in obtaining accurate data? Who knows.

Old 04-15-2021, 08:49 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,908 posts, read 2,095,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doncicmavsfan View Post
Aggregate polling data shows Trump with an approval rating under 40% (per gold standard 538) for 4 years yet he wins a national election and comes within 44k votes of winning another.

I’m left to conclude that approval rating means very little when determining one’s odds of winning a national election in the months or years leading up to the election.
You're comparing apples to oranges, and bouncing back and forth between electoral college, approval rating months or years away from an election and chance of winning that election.

There's very little correlation between four year average approval percentage vs. popular vote share--sure, that I can buy. However, there's a very strong positive correlation between an approval leading up an election compared to the actual vote share in an election.

And, none of this has anything to do with electoral college.

Old 04-15-2021, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovefromANFIELD View Post
You're comparing apples to oranges, and bouncing back and forth between electoral college, approval rating months or years away from an election and chance of winning that election.

There's very little correlation between four year average approval percentage vs. popular vote share--sure, that I can buy. However, there's a very strong positive correlation between an approval leading up an election compared to the actual vote share in an election.

And, none of this has anything to do with electoral college.
Sounds like word salad.

I will repeat:

Donald Trump had an aggregate approval rating of <40% for nearly the entire 4.5 years he spent as a president or presidential candidate.

Despite this, he won an election and followed it up by coming within 44k votes of winning a 2nd election.

These are simply facts.

Old 04-15-2021, 09:00 AM

5,391 posts, read 3,311,274 times
Quote:
Facts:

A candidate CAN have an aggregate approval rating around or under 40% and still win a national election.

Evidence:

Trump wins in 2016 and comes within 44k votes of winning again in 2020.

Thus, an approval rating as low as 35-40% is not an accurate indicator of how a person will perform in national elections.

The reason for that is unclear. Is it bias in the polls? Difficulty in obtaining accurate data? Who knows.
I don't think anyone disputes your first assertion. Approval ratings are estimates the only "approval rating" that matters is the ballot box. Your assertion is evidenced by the 2016 election where someone can have a low approval rating (i.e. lose the popular vote) but still win the electoral college vote. I don't think anyone would disagree with that.

The question is your correlation between an approval rating, meant to mimic the popular vote, and the electoral college votes which may or may not represent the popular vote.

I guess my ultimate question here is....what's your point? Anyone who has taken elementary history knows that there have been 5 elections where the electoral college victor lost the popular vote. And anyone who understands statistics knows that "approval rating" is generally a meaningless indicator of anything. I could be a person who didn't approve of Trump's performance but still voted for him because he was better than Biden.

Old 04-15-2021, 09:02 AM

21,598 posts, read 10,755,038 times
Quote:
For most of the Trump presidency we heard dems claiming that Trump only had a ~35% approval rating — consisting of mostly far-right racist whackos.

However, the election was ultimately decided by ~44k votes over 3 states. And Trump received more votes than any sitting president in history.

Did Trump prove that approval ratings are hard to gauge or mostly irrelevant? I see no other possible conclusion.
Really, no other possible conclusion?

Old 04-15-2021, 09:03 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,908 posts, read 2,095,923 times
Quote:
Sounds like word salad.

I will repeat:

Donald Trump had an aggregate approval rating of <40% for nearly the entire 4.5 years he spent as a president or presidential candidate.

Despite this, he won an election and followed it up by coming within 44k votes of winning a 2nd election.

These are simply facts.
It's not a word salad, and you're being purposefully dense. You quoted a metric, used it out of context, and then compared it to two outcomes, neither of, which are true nor relatable.

Old 04-15-2021, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
I don't think anyone disputes your first assertion. Approval ratings are estimates the only "approval rating" that matters is the ballot box. Your assertion is evidenced by the 2016 election where someone can have a low approval rating (i.e. lose the popular vote) but still win the electoral college vote. I don't think anyone would disagree with that.

The question is your correlation between an approval rating, meant to mimic the popular vote, and the electoral college votes which may or may not represent the popular vote.

I guess my ultimate question here is....what's your point? Anyone who has taken elementary history knows that there have been 5 elections where the electoral college victor lost the popular vote. And anyone who understands statistics knows that "approval rating" is generally a meaningless indicator of anything. I could be a person who didn't approve of Trump's performance but still voted for him because he was better than Biden.
The point is that we can’t look at approval rating as an indicator of how a candidate will do as far as winning a national election.

During the entire Trump phenomenon we routinely saw people saying “Trump can’t possibly win — his approval rating is only ~38%!!”.

Fact is — a candidate can routinely have polling data indicating 35-40% approval yet still be very competitive in national elections.

Old 04-15-2021, 09:10 AM

11,251 posts, read 8,419,352 times
Quote:
That’s like saying a basketball team lost by 10 rebounds.

Popular votes is irrelevant.
It is irrelevant in election outcome, but it's not irrelevant when comparing votes to approval rating, which is the comparison that the OP chose to misinform about.

The OP chose to compare national approval rating against cherry picked popular votes in 3 states. Apples and oranges. Then you upped the ante by suggesting we should compare approval rating to Electoral results.

In a prior post, someone correctly stated that Popular Votes and approval at the time of the election were very well aligned. Which really disproves the OP's intended message, because "facts"....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies