Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2021, 06:58 AM

26,557 posts, read 15,127,776 times

Advertisements

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ica-variant-ft

New evidence shows that the AstraZeneca vaccine has limited efficacy against the new South African strain of Covid.

Still have to see other vaccines, but I wonder if this will lead to a new wave of lockdowns as it spreads into the US around March.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2021, 07:03 AM

39,096 posts, read 51,300,952 times
Like all the others, it remains effective against severe disease requiring hospitalization and death. That is good enough to avoid lockdowns which we never had in the US in the first place. We won't be seeing AZ vaccine in the US any time soon either. It's the mRNAs and J&J for us. AZ screwed up their trials so badly FDA will not approve them for a long time.

By fall, we will be lining up again for boosters.

Old 02-07-2021, 07:13 AM

4,994 posts, read 1,995,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Like all the others, it remains effective against severe disease requiring hospitalization and death. That is good enough to avoid lockdowns which we never had in the US in the first place. We won't be seeing AZ vaccine in the US any time soon either. It's the mRNAs and J&J for us. AZ screwed up their trials so badly FDA will not approve them for a long time.

With Biden and Fauci in charge and excuse will lead to restrictions and lock downs.

Old 02-07-2021, 07:20 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,521,292 times
Quote:

And that’s the key. As long as we are protected from getting severe disease from catching COVID, the vaccine has done its job. Going out in public without a mask, and enjoying parties and travel and theater, etc., will be less risky than driving to the shopping mall.

Old 02-07-2021, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
And that’s the key. As long as we are protected from getting severe disease from catching COVID, the vaccine has done its job. Going out in public without a mask, and enjoying parties and travel and theater, etc., will be less risky than driving to the shopping mall.
I got vaccinated (still waiting on second dose) and will soon be going back out into the world. I figure the risk of a really bad outcome is sufficiently reduced at that point that the hermit life I have led for the past year can be put aside. I will continue with a single KN95 in black as long as that remains fashionable. I am so excited.

Old 02-07-2021, 07:43 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,521,292 times
Quote:
I got vaccinated (still waiting on second dose) and will soon be going back out into the world. I figure the risk of a really bad outcome is sufficiently reduced at that point that the hermit life I have led for the past year can be put aside. I will continue with a single KN95 in black as long as that remains fashionable. I am so excited.
The black ones are the fashionable ones? Nobody told me. I just bought 10 white ones. Dang!

And how were you able to get a shot? In my state, I can’t even get an appointment for a shot. I figure I’ve got at least another two or three months to wait. FWIW, a friend in NC and another friend in WV both are fully vaccinated.

Old 02-07-2021, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
The black ones are the fashionable ones? Nobody told me. I just bought 10 white ones. Dang!

And how were you able to get a shot? In my state, I can’t even get an appointment for a shot. I figure I’ve got at least another two or three months to wait. FWIW, a friend in NC and another friend in WV both are fully vaccinated.
I'm in the target group for 1B in my state. It was a pain on the website, but I got lucky with a 2 am appointment at the stadium vax center. My daughter who works the covid floor in the hospital is done with her two. We're gonna go out to dinner soon!

Old 02-07-2021, 09:06 AM

30,202 posts, read 11,854,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough_Already View Post
With Biden and Fauci in charge and excuse will lead to restrictions and lock downs.

Biden cannot order a nationwide lock down. He can only do what Trump did and ask for people to lock down. But we have vaccinated most of the high risk people. Those are the ones filling up the hospitals. With that out of the way there is no reason at all to lock down.

Old 02-07-2021, 10:33 AM

23,767 posts, read 12,650,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ica-variant-ft

New evidence shows that the AstraZeneca vaccine has limited efficacy against the new South African strain of Covid.

Still have to see other vaccines, but I wonder if this will lead to a new wave of lockdowns as it spreads into the US around March.
What is Biden* doing to make sure it doesn't get into this country?
Trump haters point fingers at Trump because the original virus had come into this country and yet they're silent about this. Why isn't Biden* doing more to keep the new strain out and will his voters blame him for those who die from the new strains?

Old 02-07-2021, 10:36 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,716,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Biden cannot order a nationwide lock down. He can only do what Trump did and ask for people to lock down. But we have vaccinated most of the high risk people. Those are the ones filling up the hospitals. With that out of the way there is no reason at all to lock down.
Plus there are millions with natural immunity from having had it. Time to move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies