Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2021, 08:38 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,736,064 times

Advertisements

Maybe I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed but I don't see what's the difference between the "Cancel Culture" We are seeing today and the Hollywood blacklist of the '50's?
:think

https://www.dictionary.com/e/pop-cul...or%20offensive.

Cancel culture refers to the popular practice of withdrawing support for (canceling) public figures and companies after they have done or said something considered objectionable or offensive. Cancel culture is generally discussed as being performed on social media in the form of group shaming.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_blacklist

The Hollywood blacklist was the colloquial term for what was in actuality a broader entertainment industry blacklist put in effect in the mid-20th century in the United States during the early years of the Cold War. The blacklist involved the practice of denying employment to entertainment industry professionals believed to be or to have been Communists or sympathizers. Not just actors, but screenwriters, directors, musicians, and other American entertainment professionals were barred from work by the studios.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2021, 08:49 AM

25,820 posts, read 18,857,526 times
Isn't it interesting the way humans just keep doing the same stupid things over and over? They clearly see from history that creating "the other" with intent to silence obviously leads to some of the most horrific events of human history, yet they continue to engage in that behavior.

Old 01-30-2021, 08:51 AM
bu2

24,119 posts, read 14,913,477 times
Not much difference except that it attacks a much larger group of people, 50% of the population instead of 10% or so.

You would think those on the left would be sensitive to this, but they seem to revel in their ignorance of history.

Old 01-30-2021, 08:58 AM

24,515 posts, read 17,265,170 times
You are sharp because what is going on is very similar.

I was watching a program last night about Germany and WW2 and what Hitler did is eerily similar to what the Democrats are doing today from indoctrinating the kids to demonizing a segment of the population. Hitler had his youth camps to shape those young minds, we have schools to press the Leftist propaganda. We all know what Hitler did to the Jews. He also burned books, erased and rewrote History, controlled the media and promised the masses everything they dreamed of.

Of course the Democrats warned us that Trump planned to do all this but they are the ones actually doing it. Next will be to disarm the "enemy" and they have started that process by labeling the mob that swarmed the Capital as insurrectionists bent on seccession and undermining our democracy. I don't see how that mob is really any different than BLM in that they are both not happy with the way the Gov. has treated them and they want justice but one group is to be rounded up and sent to AOC's reeducation camps while the other is being nominated for a Noble Peace Prize.

Cancel Culture is very similar to the Hollywood Blacklist of the 50's but I think it is going to go further.

Old 01-30-2021, 09:04 AM

29,837 posts, read 24,937,877 times
History repeats when you don't teach it. Thankfully our democrat controlled education/indoctrination system is doing a wonderful job of teaching history as it really happened... Right???

Old 01-30-2021, 09:10 AM

20,728 posts, read 19,382,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Maybe I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed but I don't see what's the difference between the "Cancel Culture" We are seeing today and the Hollywood blacklist of the '50's?
:think

https://www.dictionary.com/e/pop-cul...or%20offensive.

Cancel culture refers to the popular practice of withdrawing support for (canceling) public figures and companies after they have done or said something considered objectionable or offensive. Cancel culture is generally discussed as being performed on social media in the form of group shaming.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_blacklist

The Hollywood blacklist was the colloquial term for what was in actuality a broader entertainment industry blacklist put in effect in the mid-20th century in the United States during the early years of the Cold War. The blacklist involved the practice of denying employment to entertainment industry professionals believed to be or to have been Communists or sympathizers. Not just actors, but screenwriters, directors, musicians, and other American entertainment professionals were barred from work by the studios.

Well before then. Martin Luther and the printing press or all the way back to when Socrates opened his trap. Tyrants will be tyrants. Yet as the book they fought over explains, the meek shall inherent the earth. The authoritarians can never ultimately agree among themselves. Every victory is fleeting as they create new enmities within their own ranks because they have no real sense of tolerance. The US at the moment does not have a credible enemy so its like Rome and their civil wars. Not to worry, that problem is quickly being solved. A credible enemy is being forged in china.

Old 01-30-2021, 09:11 AM

20,728 posts, read 19,382,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
History repeats when you don't teach it. Thankfully our democrat controlled education/indoctrination system is doing a wonderful job of teaching history as it really happened... Right???

That is their problem.

Old 01-30-2021, 09:18 AM

17,817 posts, read 13,724,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
You are sharp because what is going on is very similar.

I was watching a program last night about Germany and WW2 and what Hitler did is eerily similar to what the Democrats are doing today from indoctrinating the kids to demonizing a segment of the population. Hitler had his youth camps to shape those young minds, we have schools to press the Leftist propaganda. We all know what Hitler did to the Jews. He also burned books, erased and rewrote History, controlled the media and promised the masses everything they dreamed of.

Of course the Democrats warned us that Trump planned to do all this but they are the ones actually doing it. Next will be to disarm the "enemy" and they have started that process by labeling the mob that swarmed the Capital as insurrectionists bent on seccession and undermining our democracy. I don't see how that mob is really any different than BLM in that they are both not happy with the way the Gov. has treated them and they want justice but one group is to be rounded up and sent to AOC's reeducation camps while the other is being nominated for a Noble Peace Prize.

Cancel Culture is very similar to the Hollywood Blacklist of the 50's but I think it is going to go further.
I really wish you guys would decide whether the democrats are Nazi communists or Bolshevik fascists. They can't be both.

Old 01-30-2021, 09:25 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,674,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimumingyu View Post
Communists were targeted, which honestly I am not upset about. They were supporting a foreign state (USSR).

Qanon crazies are also supporting a foreign state (Russia) and have committed treason and should be punished accordingly.
Qanon is only your boogieman !!! The moment you fall asleep its gone !!!

Old 01-30-2021, 09:26 AM

7,158 posts, read 4,748,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I really wish you guys would decide whether the democrats are Nazi communists or Bolshevik fascists. They can't be both.
They don’t have to be either/or. They take a little from each and create their own groupthink tyrannical movement. Call it communism/call it fascism, call it both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies