Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2020, 04:55 AM

4,475 posts, read 3,356,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephariel View Post
Trump lost. Stop living in a different reality. I remember back in the early 2000s, neo-cons told me liberals will be extinct in 5 years. Liberals are as powerful as ever. Neo-cons...I can't find one person today who dares to call himself or herself a neo-con.
No one called themselves a neo-con. It was a label the Left threw at anyone they wanted to disparage. They never understood what a neo con was, which was a former liberal Democrat, usually Jewish, who turned to conservatism as the Democrat Party abandoned their anti-Communist stance in the 1960's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
You make a good point. Although the reason republicans had to turn to Trump in the first place, is that....
The Republican Party didn't "turn to" Donald Trump. More Republicans voted for someone else in the primaries than voted for Trump. When all was said and done in the primaries, he never passed 50% of the total vote in winning the nomination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
You mean someone that is a weak door-mat like GWB, McCain or Romney-all of whom the media walked all over, gave zero respect to and lied about just as much as they did Trump? I don't like Trump, specifically his personality. But given the bias and lack of decency in our media, frankly it takes an a-hole to get anywhere as a Republican. In spite of 4 years of constant attacks, fake news and bias from the news-Trump still ran an incredibly close race. Imaging if the media were even close to neutral-Joe would still be hiding in his basement.
The news media has always walked all over Republican candidates and presidents. Reagan just laughed it off and spoke to the American people directly with grace and good humor. I think if Trump had ever exhibited any grace and self-deprecating humor he'd have mopped the floor with Biden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
None of us true conservatives like these neocons rinos in the party....we'd purge them if we could. Too much corruption on both sides. The government should represent the people, not who has the most money.

As for this article...I don't take any of them seriously...they are all written by lefties with an anti conservative slant. The moderate Democrats should do more to shut up the part of their party that the guy on the first page who said he's never voting democrat the rest of his life talks about .
Tom Nichols (the author of the article) is a conservative Never Trumper. I used to respect his views and writings, but he caught a bad case of Trump Derangement Syndrome and it warped his once sharp mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2020, 09:47 AM

39,975 posts, read 26,834,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
None of us true conservatives like these neocons rinos in the party....we'd purge them if we could. Too much corruption on both sides. The government should represent the people, not who has the most money.

As for this article...I don't take any of them seriously...they are all written by lefties with an anti conservative slant. The moderate Democrats should do more to shut up the part of their party that the guy on the first page who said he's never voting democrat the rest of his life talks about .
I ask this in all seriousness-what are the positions of a "true conservative" in the Republican party these days? Definitions are shifting, and in far too many cases we have allowed the media to shape the public's opinion of them. Can you give some examples concerning border security, tax policy, trade? Thanks.

Old 11-07-2020, 09:49 AM

26,862 posts, read 13,656,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Trump broke the GOP. Without Trump, the GOP will be unified again under the RINOs.
RINO's got Trump elected.

Old 11-07-2020, 09:57 AM

39,975 posts, read 26,834,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post

The news media has always walked all over Republican candidates and presidents. Reagan just laughed it off and spoke to the American people directly with grace and good humor. I think if Trump had ever exhibited any grace and self-deprecating humor he'd have mopped the floor with Biden.
There is a lot of truth to that. I like to catch an old Reagan speech once in a while-he really was an amazing speaker and leader. He always came across like he was speaking directly to the American people and could largely unite and inspire them. We haven't had a president with that ability sense. The Bushs, Obama, and Clinton just came across as fake and pandering, not honest and heartfelt.

Thing is, society has changed since the 1980s. The media used to have some degree of integrity and decency, or at least could act as if they do. Reagan was a good counter to the media of the day and always treated them similarly-even when he got in a dig or two and spoke to the American people, rather than through media talking heads. These days, the media has gotten so petty, so mean and so vicious, I don't know that a Reagan could ever get ahead. Trump IS the response to today's media-broadcast, print and social media. He is a sign of the times, sadly. The media has had a huge impact on the negative direction our culture had taken in the last few decades.

Old 11-07-2020, 10:01 AM

14,796 posts, read 17,865,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
I think opposite, it made them much stronger. They barely lost the election with Trump, and gained in the House, imagine what they can do without Trump in the way.
That's my thought. Trump was an anchor for the Republicans. Of course rioting BLM and ultra woke Dems didnt hurt the GOP this year.

Old 11-07-2020, 10:34 AM

24,620 posts, read 19,365,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Member1 View Post
This election may have undermined the Republican Party's own legitimacy:
Your inability to analyze data is horrendous.

Trump won the Electoral college by a margin of 77,000 votes across three States: Pennsylvania, Michigan and Wisconsin.

What Trump supporters were too stupid to understand is that those 77,000 voters were not Republicans.

They were Democrats and Independents who did not vote for Trump, rather they voted against Billary --which is not the same thing as voting for Trump -- because they would rather gouge out their eyes and set themselves on fire before ever voting for Billary.

What you see now is:

Georgia
------------
7,248 votes

Nevada
---------
25,699 votes

Those two you can chalk up to cocky Trump supporters who thought Trump would win and they didn't have to vote because someone else would vote for them and Conservatives and Independents aggravated by Trump's silly rhetoric.

Pennsylvania
-----------
34,458 votes

Wisconsin
------------
20,540 votes

Michigan
-----------
146,123 votes

Those you can chalk up to the Democrats and Independents who voted against Billary but for Hiden, who, as I probably said 2 dozen times, they see as Obama-lite.

The rest are Independents and Conservatives who were irritated by Trump's idiotic rhetoric, especially where it concerns STUPID-19.

It's neither a landslide nor a mandate.

Assuming Hiden actually lasts 4 years without being declared incompetent and forced to resign for health reasons, most likely Presidents from here on out will be one-and-done Presidents.

This Election only reinforces what we already knew from the last Election, and that is the battle lines have been drawn.

Old 11-07-2020, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I ask this in all seriousness-what are the positions of a "true conservative" in the Republican party these days? Definitions are shifting, and in far too many cases we have allowed the media to shape the public's opinion of them. Can you give some examples concerning border security, tax policy, trade? Thanks.
I think a conservative, be they Republican, Libertarian or the few conservatives left in the Democrat Party, still stands for fiscal responsibility and balanced budgets. Stopping on this point for a second, wanting fiscal responsibility and balanced budgets is the goal. You can't be so doctrinaire (Paul & Cruz) that you try to shut down the government. You have to take what is available, even if it is just 5% of what you want; you have to show willingness to work together to keep the process moving.

Second, conservatives stand for fair taxes. That often means lowering taxes and simplifying the tax code after Democrats have raised taxes and muddled up the tax code.

Third, fair trade. In the past we'd have called it "free trade", but only the U.S. side was "free"; our trading "partners" were still protectionist.

Fourth, respecting immigration laws and borders and enforcing and strengthening the 1986 Simpson-Mazzoli Act that was SUPPOSED to be the one time amnesty in exchange for laws so tough that future illegal immigration would be impossible.

Fifth, appointing federal judges that don't write new laws, but rule based on a laws text and intent.

Six, unwavering support for democracies like Israel, Taiwan, Ukraine, etc and opposition to communist regimes like Cuba, Venezuela, Nicaragua, etc.

Seven, lead the world from in front, not "leading from behind".

Old 11-07-2020, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Your inability to analyze data is horrendous.

Georgia
------------
7,248 votes

Pennsylvania
-----------
34,458 votes

Wisconsin
------------
20,540 votes
I think you'd find that the Democrats ability to keep the Green Party candidate off the ballot is GA, PA and WI is what provided the Democrat margin of victory.

Old 11-07-2020, 10:45 AM

68,437 posts, read 54,934,362 times
Quote:

I think embracing a lifelong grifter did that.

Old 11-07-2020, 10:48 AM

79,553 posts, read 61,741,552 times
Quote:

The Election That Broke the Republican Party - Politico
Say what?

The repubs despite Trump being wholely unlikable by most people outside the republican party....still almost won and did fine in the House and Senate.

What this should be telling you is that the dems policies and actions made them barely more desirable than Trump.

You keep pushing defunding police, open borders, healthcare for illegals etc. and you're going to end up with 2010 all over again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies