Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2020, 04:28 PM
bu2

24,174 posts, read 15,028,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
If the GOP senate had let Obama fill the post in 2016, w/ Merrick Garland, I'd be 100% fine w/ them moving forward w/ ACB. But since they are being 100% total hypocrites, to put yet another activist Judge on the court to try and stop all progress in this country, I think the Dems have a duty to add 4 new justices when we take the Senate and Biden wins.
Total hypocrites? What about Joe Biden? Merrick Garland was the victim of the Biden rule. The Republicans did to Garland exactly what Biden promised to do to any of HW's nominees.

The Democrats would have done exactly the same in those circumstances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2020, 04:29 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,291,327 times
Is there a proposal to be considered yet? I think you may be putting the cart before the horse.
Please link to the plan.

Old 10-26-2020, 04:31 PM

8,031 posts, read 9,238,393 times
A lot of Democrats complained about Roberts, yet he turned out to be the deciding factor in approving Obamacare.
Kavanaugh has already gone against Trump's wishes in decisions.

How about just approving judges who can properly read law, and have Congress Critters write better laws with less room for judicial interpretation?

Old 10-26-2020, 04:32 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,291,327 times
I do believe it is worthy of a good hard look by a bipartisan commission including constitutional scholars. Obviously others disagree. Either way an analysis seems the first step.

Old 10-26-2020, 04:33 PM

8,973 posts, read 2,584,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Not in the manner they are replacing RBG with.

Never happened days before an election.

It's an absurdly authoritarian power play.
Lol so the normal process of replacing a deceased SCOTUS justice is "authoritarian"? This from someone who supports stacking SCOTUS to push unconstitutional authoritarian policy to steal from the people....

You're not even trying.

Old 10-26-2020, 04:34 PM
bu2

Quote:
Not in the manner they are replacing RBG with.

Never happened days before an election.

It's an absurdly authoritarian power play.
Its happened all the time. A number of justices have been approved even after the election. You are just repeating stupid talking points.

Its the president doing his job. 29 times a vacancy has happened in an election year. 29 times a president has appointed a replacement. EVERY time. And except for LBJ who appointed a really controversial judge, every time the president had the senate, the nominee was approved. Many justices have been approved in a week or two.

Look it up. Its not hard to find.

Old 10-26-2020, 04:36 PM

14,831 posts, read 7,454,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
Lol so the normal process of replacing a deceased SCOTUS justice is "authoritarian"? This from someone who supports stacking SCOTUS to push unconstitutional authoritarian policy to steal from the people....

You're not even trying.
You missed my point.

This is NOT the normal process.

Show me some time in the last 150 years where a justice has been confirmed less than 10 days before an election, and especially one where the majority party confirming the justice is favored to lose.

If you can't do that, then don't complain to me that a justice has not been added or subtracted in 150 years.

Old 10-26-2020, 04:38 PM

22,132 posts, read 9,699,520 times
Quote:
Either that, or if they had let the winner of the election fill RBG's seat like a majority of the American people wanted.

Since they played hardball both times, they have only themselves to blame if Dems give back the same and readjust the court.
Sadly for you, it doesn't work that way. The Senate decides, not the people in a Democratic vote. You really should brush up on this stuff so you don't sound like a moron.

Old 10-26-2020, 04:40 PM

8,973 posts, read 2,584,437 times
Quote:
You missed my point.

That's not a point, that's a lie.

The process happened as it always does. There was a vacancy, the president nominated a candidate, the Senate gives advice and consent if they see fit, and if the Senate approves the candidate becomes a SCOTUS justice.

That's exactly how it always happens, you're just upset because it spells the death of your far left authoritarian agenda. You might as well admit it.

Old 10-26-2020, 04:42 PM
bu2

Quote:
You missed my point.

Show me some time in the last 150 years where a justice has been confirmed less than 10 days before an election, and especially one where the majority party confirming the justice is favored to lose.

If you can't do that, then don't complain to me that a justice has not been added or subtracted in 150 years.
Harrison did it in 16 days AFTER he lost the election.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies