Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2020, 10:49 AM

1,969 posts, read 550,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meekawal View Post
It's almost like these hosts/moderators are running for office themselves. She kept interrupting Trump and not letting him answer a lot of the questions she asked. The look on her face was priceless. Everyone could see how biased against Trump she is. If you ask me these events are a waste of time. What new information did anyone learn? Did it change your opinion?
ya i like trump MORE now. the strength it must take to be hammered on 24/7. people have disliked presidents before, but the open contempt for him is disgusting. they complain hes a jerk, then act 100x worse. we didnt agree with our parents but had to behave. anti trumpers are worse than he is. he is actually trying to help us and everyone hates him so much he cant do his job!! if biden wins the bidonians will get what they wanted so bad. and then we shall see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2020, 11:04 AM

494 posts, read 182,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00lucky00 View Post
ya i like trump MORE now. the strength it must take to be hammered on 24/7. people have disliked presidents before, but the open contempt for him is disgusting. they complain hes a jerk, then act 100x worse. we didnt agree with our parents but had to behave. anti trumpers are worse than he is. he is actually trying to help us and everyone hates him so much he cant do his job!! if biden wins the bidonians will get what they wanted so bad. and then we shall see.
Kind of like in the 1st debate when he kept interrupting Wallace and Biden and stepping all over them? You mean that type of hammering? If that's your criteria than I suppose you could say Biden is pretty strong then no?

Old 10-16-2020, 11:09 AM

39,969 posts, read 26,745,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
How many times between this and the Biden threads must I say that Fox had the NCLS tonight? Fox was airing a baseball game so they couldn't air Trump. And Tucker is anything but neutral, he is a right-wing shill.
Tucker is far more "neutral" than Guthrie, and not nearly the "right-wing shrill" that Stephanopoulos is a left-wing shill. Come to think of it, they could have left Guthrie as Trump's interviewer and just swapped Carlson in for Biden's to make it balanced.

Old 10-16-2020, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriotic Dissent View Post
1. She wasn't doing her job, her job is to ask the question THEN let the President answer, not interrupt and testify herself.

2. When the mainstream media stops having 2 sets of standards depending on which party they are talking to and actually become a neutral source that is tough on BOTH parties instead of being the media wing of the demoncrat party, MAYBE then they won't be the enemy, but that will never happen so they remain the enemy. The mainstream media is the 5th column in America.
Here's my problem with this statement. She was doing her job and that is to ask the question, but also to ask follow up questions. She was truly in a no-win situation with the Trump fanbase if you can be honest about it. If she does what she ended up doing she is a B-tch. If she doesn't then she is weak and Trump dominated her. She asked questions and when he was flat out lying or trying to just attack Biden and ignore the question she brought him back on task or called him out on his lies. How is that not doing her job?

The media is what it is and you are free to watch or read any channel or article you like. You are also free to form your own opinion, listen to a commentator and decide for yourself what you do and do not agree with. This bias that Trump fans complain about is partially brought on by Trump himself. Perfect example, is his retweet of the Seal Team 6 conspiracy. As a legitimate newsperson how can you justify such a claim by the President without compromising your own values and beliefs. So if CNN airs the story, of course he's going to get blasted for it and he should.

Old 10-16-2020, 11:21 AM

20,148 posts, read 16,304,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
But I don't know that it's true, and I never heard or read about any of these allegations before. Since you seem to be very much up on them, can't you give us a few links?

Also, remind me: was it John Adams or James Madison who enjoyed early morning skinny dipping in the Potomac when he was president?
Remind me which one had female Secret Service agents who were required to watch him?

Old 10-16-2020, 11:33 AM

6,811 posts, read 7,006,520 times
There's a big difference in asking a question and another with what Guthrie did. One of the first things she addressed was to ask him to denounce white supremacy. How many times has he been asked to denounce white supremacy in the past 5 years? Any "journalist" would have know it has been too many times. So she started off by baiting Trump. We know the reason why he is continually asked to denounce white suprmeacy. By the very question, it is slyly framing him as a white supremacist, without actually accusing him to his face
It's disgusting.

Then, the demand he renounce Qanon. When Trump said he didn't know much about them, she had the nerve to shout "Yes, you do!" which led to a "No, I don't" and again she shouted "Yes, you do!". Sorry, that is not an interview. More like an interrogation.

There is a way to ask hard hitting and insightful questions and follow up. No one has an issue with that. But the disrespect shown to our President (did she actually refer to him as a crazy uncle?) and her shrill antagonism and constant interruptions were totally outside what is considered professional moderating.

Old 10-16-2020, 11:45 AM

1,969 posts, read 550,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Savannah Guthrie is a national treasure. She's the first person I've ever seen not let Trump off the hook.

Trump supporters across America are outraged this morning, as they accuse Guthrie, who wouldn't let get away with lying and pressed him on those lies, of being "unfair." LMAO!

What a disaster that was. Nothing captures Trump's personality more than clips of him trying to overtalk a woman because he doesn't like what she says.
because we didnt want to hear yet one more whining liberal, we were actually wanting to hear about issues not watching some stupid, glory grabbing hack use that time to ask questions that have been asked 100x and pick a fight with our president. thats why we are annoyed.

Old 10-16-2020, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
There's a big difference in asking a question and another with what Guthrie did. One of the first things she addressed was to ask him to denounce white supremacy. How many times has he been asked to denounce white supremacy in the past 5 years? Any "journalist" would have know it has been too many times. So she started off by baiting Trump. We know the reason why he is continually asked to denounce white suprmeacy. By the very question, it is slyly framing him as a white supremacist, without actually accusing him to his face
It's disgusting.

Then, the demand he renounce Qanon. When Trump said he didn't know much about them, she had the nerve to shout "Yes, you do!" which led to a "No, I don't" and again she shouted "Yes, you do!". Sorry, that is not an interview. More like an interrogation.

There is a way to ask hard hitting and insightful questions and follow up. No one has an issue with that. But the disrespect shown to our President (did she actually refer to him as a crazy uncle?) and her shrill antagonism and constant interruptions were totally outside what is considered professional moderating.
She was calling him out on his lies and yes questioning Trump is like dealing with a toddler. He doesn't know anything about Qanon and then in the next sentence, I know Qanon is against pedophilia. Which is it, do you know them or not?

Regarding the white supremacy she was giving Trump an outlet in front of millions of viewers to do something he failed to do in the 1st debate. She didn't frame him as a white supremacist. He did that all by himself.

I really don't understand and no one has been able to explain this phenomena to me, but how do the Trump supporters never, ever, ever admit he has said or done the wrong thing. I like Biden, but I can admit he needs to answer the court packing question. He's avoiding it and his answers suck so far on it. There.....see it's easy.

Old 10-16-2020, 11:53 AM

21,039 posts, read 8,815,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
haha the conspiracy theories begin.
Biden did absolutely destroy Trump in the streaming totals.
However, the early Nielsen ratings that are being cited only measure traditional media formats. They have a separate one for streaming ratings that comes out later. It appears Biden pulled in more viewers.
Are you saying the TikTok people are lying about using multiple devices to jack up Biden's ratings? Are you saying the CCP doesn't want Biden to win?

A lot of people watched Biden for Proof of Life, to see if he'd make one of his usual gaffes or to try to spot wires and mics.

I may watch later for the softball questions and respectful demeanor shown by Biden's fellow Dem shills.Something Trump didnt get.

I agree that Nielsen ratings have outlived their usefulness

Old 10-16-2020, 12:05 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,028,492 times
Watched both town halls (thanks DVR).

Impressions:

Biden - Still "iffy" on the court-packing question. He was right in that there's no good way to answer. I don't think he WANTS to pack the courts but a good chunk of his base will push him if/when Coney Barrett is confirmed. McConnell blocked 100+ Obama judicial appointments, blocked Merrick Garland (with 9 months to go before an election) and is now trying to push ACB through. Nothing wrong with playing hardball but don't complain if Joe wins the WH and adds 4 (or 6) justices.

Otherwise, he was pretty straightforward on his plans. Whether you agree with him or not, you walked away knowing what he wants to do.

Trump - I don't think Guthrie was any harder on him than Stephanopoulous was on Biden. Trump performs best when he can speak freely in platitudes. In situations where he has to provide specifics, he's just not very effective. The health care part really stuck out. Getting rid of ACA but not having a true backup plan after 4 years is quite telling. The white supremacy stuff? I don't think he cares much except for the fact that he KNOWS that segment of the population will vote for him exclusively over Biden. He's likely to get trounced in the election but if the klansmen and neo-nazis don't show up for him....he's beyond toast. He could easily say "I denounce all white supremacists groups from the klan to neo nazis, aryan brotherhood etc." Just say that and be done with it. He won't because he needs their votes just to have a chance.

My guess is that anyone already inclined to vote for Trump, is going to do so based on last night. People that are truly undecided....those don't exist. If they do exist, they would pick Biden over Trump...if they only watched the town halls. Trump is flailing right now because he's too reliant on a deep but narrow base. Biden has to balance far more constituencies but it also gives him more ways to skin the cat...so to speak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies