Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2020, 10:29 AM

19,997 posts, read 12,517,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Infectious respiratory diseases have been around as long as theaters, why are they a problem for you now?
Are we still stuck at "it's just the flu"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2020, 10:39 AM

45,530 posts, read 26,818,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Are we still stuck at "it's just the flu"?
does the flu pose the same threat to the same demographic? i.e the old, weak, already sick? Yes.
Why are you so concerned all of the sudden?
What is turning out to be novel is the reaction.

Old 10-05-2020, 11:18 AM

28,336 posts, read 16,549,223 times
Quote:
does the flu pose the same threat to the same demographic? i.e the old, weak, already sick? Yes.
Why are you so concerned all of the sudden?
What is turning out to be novel is the reaction.
Again, it's been 50 years since a flu year has killed half as many people as SARS-Cov2 has in 9 months. We're still averaging about 715 deaths per day, by the way.

We've got 107 days until the 1 year anniversary of the first confirmed case of COVID-19 in the US. If we stay at the same average, that's ~76.5K more dead in this country for a total of approx 290K dead. Since the Spanish Flu, the deadliest flu year has been ~116K. This is potentially more than 2x the death total of the worst flu season we've had in 100+ years. You know, back when things like EEGs, the iron lung and dialysis were still science fiction.

This. Is. Not. The. Flu.

Old 10-05-2020, 11:48 AM

7,318 posts, read 4,669,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post

This. Is. Not. The. Flu.
You don't know that yet. The death count is based on partisans who get paid by "making" the diagnosis Covid 19.

If turns out that flu deaths, cancer deaths and heart attack deaths are down for the year.. we will know.

Old 10-05-2020, 11:58 AM

45,530 posts, read 26,818,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Again, it's been 50 years since a flu year has killed half as many people as SARS-Cov2 has in 9 months. We're still averaging about 715 deaths per day, by the way.

We've got 107 days until the 1 year anniversary of the first confirmed case of COVID-19 in the US. If we stay at the same average, that's ~76.5K more dead in this country for a total of approx 290K dead. Since the Spanish Flu, the deadliest flu year has been ~116K. This is potentially more than 2x the death total of the worst flu season we've had in 100+ years. You know, back when things like EEGs, the iron lung and dialysis were still science fiction.

This. Is. Not. The. Flu.
I. Did. Not. Say. This. Was. The. Flu
I was commenting on the sudden anxiety over/ need to wear masks when there have always been airborne viruses that are potentially lethal

Old 10-05-2020, 04:16 PM

1,231 posts, read 454,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
People aren't going to the movies because of mandated shutdown of non-essentials. I can guarantee if they were open people would go. Maybe not as many at first but some would go. I would not go, because I have always been a germ freak and hated movie theatres for that reason, but I can guarantee many people would go. Also, movies are not being made for the same reason (non essential so shutdown due to lockdowns). So yes, the lockdowns have absolutely played a role. I'm not even a big movie theatre guy, but I can see what is hurting them - the lockdowns.

Democrats are just stretching beyond stretching right now trying to justify their draconian lockdowns while at the same time trying to convince the public their lockdowns are not hurting business. You can't make this stuff up. Of course they are hurting businesses!
People aren't going to the movies because they have no movies to play? What do you think they are going to show? It's like they said like if a grocery store had no food.

http://https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/...-pandemic.html

Like they say the lack of new movies is the reason they are closing. What else would they show National Geographic movies?

Old 10-06-2020, 05:47 AM

1,231 posts, read 454,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
Yeas we are seeing to types of people here. Those who care about jobs and business and those who are coming with all sorts of excuses as to why all of these businesses going out of business is No big deal, past time, or will only hurt lower income so no big deal. Democrats are exposing themselves as the anti worker people you are.
What are you talking about? It's not excuses. It's a fact that most of the new movies are being delayed. They opened theaters but many people aren't going or the theater isn't running at full capacity. Most theaters have put in recliner seats which already reduced capacity significantly. So when they are only doing half capacity seating it's reduced even more. The movie studios can see that and they want as many people in the seats as possible. They want these movies to make money. In order for them to make money now they have to raise prices much higher. But they have done that but that caused many people to stop going in the first place.

Old 10-06-2020, 05:50 AM

28,336 posts, read 16,549,223 times
Quote:
I. Did. Not. Say. This. Was. The. Flu
I was commenting on the sudden anxiety over/ need to wear masks when there have always been airborne viruses that are potentially lethal
You compared it to the flu.

If you understand that this is a different animal, you should probably stop comparing them.

When was the last time we've had an airborne virus that has killed 215K people in this country? That answer should also answer why things are different this year.

Old 10-06-2020, 06:00 AM

20,946 posts, read 5,592,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
37,482 JOBS to be eliminated. The Liberal politicians still got their jobs, that's all that matters!

END LOCKDOWNS NOW

https://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-kno...-screens-in-us

The corrupt and filthy Hollywood can die a slow, painful and ignominious death as far as I'm concerned. Well deserved.

But yeah, I feel for all those people losing their jobs, thanks to spineless political lackeys.

Old 10-06-2020, 06:02 AM

45,671 posts, read 24,263,900 times
Movie theaters were struggling before COVID. I guess Trump's economy wasn't good for them.

END TRUMP NOW>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies