Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 07:28 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,206,025 times

Advertisements

LOL,LOL,LOL. You don't get it. Just like many whites.

Can you say: JIM CROW.

google it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
At the risk of being flamed, I will put myself out there and say the truth from this white womans perspective on race relations.

Whites have a disconnect with slavery that blacks don't because for the majority of whites our ancestors had nothing to do with it. And we feel like we are being blamed or held accountable for the actions of long dead people who we aren't even related to. My people were either making furniture in Prague or cutting down the Sequoias in California. But I do get that your people were in chains. And I do feel badly about that, much like I feel badly for the people who were killed by Pol Pot in Cambodia ---but there is a disconnect as I don't feel responsible for it. White people don't want to brush slavery under the rug. But we don't want to bear the burden of other peoples sins just because we share a pigment (or lack thereof). Also, we are confused, what do you want by bringing it up? There is nothing that can be done about the past. Slavery is recongnized as a horrible period in US history. But beyond that, what do you guys want?

Old 04-30-2008, 07:53 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,656,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon View Post
LOL,LOL,LOL. You don't get it. Just like many whites.

Can you say: JIM CROW.

google it!

Can you say: JIM CROW abolished in 1965.

google it!

Old 04-30-2008, 07:56 PM

437 posts, read 632,148 times
Quote:
Can you say: JIM CROW abolished in 1965.
And that made everything all better!

Old 04-30-2008, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraKGrisgby View Post
And that made everything all better!
Of course not. I was responding in like manner to someone who responded in a very, shall we say flippant manner?

Jim Crow was a very horrible time in the US, and our government (both federal and state levels) were culpable of perpetrating it and certainly there were employers and everyday people who behaved in a horrid manner.

Does that mean all white people are bad?
No.
Does that mean all white people loved Jim Crow Laws?
No.
Does that mean there can be a time when the people of all colors can get together and just see other people and not race? And not crimes committed in the past?
Apparently not.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:17 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,209,809 times
Quote:
Of course not. I was responding in like manner to someone who responded in a very, shall we say flippant manner?

Jim Crow was a very horrible time in the US, and our government (both federal and state levels) were culpable of perpetrating it and certainly there were employers and everyday people who behaved in a horrid manner.

Does that mean all white people are bad?
No.
Does that mean all white people loved Jim Crow Laws?
No.
Does that mean there can be a time when the people of all colors can get together and just see other people and not race? And not crimes committed in the past?
Apparently not.
Some people can, like the person who originally responded to your post Benicar was an inspiration for us all to communicate.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Apparently not.
Not as long as white people are sitting around saying "What about meeeeeeee!!!!" Discussing race in America and the injustices done on a daily basis against people of color is NOT about how white people feel about it, and whether we feel offended or uncomfortable. Once we as a race GET OVER OURSELVES, then we can start making some true progress.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Not as long as white people are sitting around saying "What about meeeeeeee!!!!" Discussing race in America and the injustices done on a daily basis against people of color is NOT about how white people feel about it, and whether we feel offended or uncomfortable. Once we as a race GET OVER OURSELVES, then we can start making some true progress.
Sorry, I don't know who you are talking about. White people aren't sitting around asking "what about meeeeeee!!!!".
I don't think whites are focusing racial prejudice on ourselves, how we feel about it ect... But I do think that unless there is a real direction to go in as far as healing, moving forward, and fostering understanding there will continue to be a huge disconnect between the races.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
Some people can, like the person who originally responded to your post Benicar was an inspiration for us all to communicate.
Yes, and I appreciate that Benicar took the time to reply. That does give me hope, because I do not want my children to be on a message board one day having the same argument.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Sorry, I don't know who you are talking about.
Why am I not surprised?

Old 04-30-2008, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Why am I not surprised?
Probably because you made it up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.