Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 07:31 PM

232 posts, read 950,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
My defs....

Anti-Govenment- hate of the people incharge of this country because of the policies that oppress all of us. They're hated because don't listen to anyone but themselves. They're hated because they start wars and don't know how to finnish them. And the fact that they do it all "in the name of America", makes it sad, because they are SUPOSED to represent us.

Anti-American - Just a general hatred of anyone who lives in America, no matter what their status and the freedoms this country was (or what it should be) based on.
THE LAST SENTENCE-this country was founded on all men are created equal right but that represented on certain men. so you should understand?

Old 05-01-2008, 07:48 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 23,015,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arimor View Post
THE LAST SENTENCE-this country was founded on all men are created equal right but that represented on certain men. so you should understand?
Ok. I understand that. But I just cant HATE America. I can't really say I LOVE America, either. Or any other country for that matter.
It's like what Chris Rock said....
"For us, America is like that uncle that paid for your college.... but he raped you...."
Or something like that.
I guess you could say I just like America. And I think you can say the same for most blacks in this country. Because I hear alot of complaints, but I don't see anybody packing up and leaving. And that goes for ANY race in this country.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:04 PM

402 posts, read 1,018,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Ok. I understand that. But I just cant HATE America. I can't really say I LOVE America, either. Or any other country for that matter.
It's like what Chris Rock said....
"For us, America is like that uncle that paid for your college.... but he raped you...."
Or something like that.
I guess you could say I just like America. And I think you can say the same for most blacks in this country. Because I hear alot of complaints, but I don't see anybody packing up and leaving. And that goes for ANY race in this country.
I am from another country (been here for 30 yrs+) so you don't know what an opportunity and great country america is!!!! You can always move...like my family did. I think maybe you should look at things with glass half full rather than not....

Unlike many other countries there is no class seperation of poor/rich/color/sex when it comes to education and etc. You can become whatever you like. Make your life the way you want it. Why do you think so many minorities move here?

I feel sad for you because you are so young. Maybe it's your age, but positive attitude will take you long ways. Your color "does" not matter here in the US...it really doesn't when it comes to the bottom line. Your history of slavery, you can turn it into a positive, rather than keeping you down, use it to keep you up!!!! If you surrounded by negative pple get rid of them! Surround yourself around winners and not victims. Pple that look towards the future, not stuck in the past!

Old 05-01-2008, 08:06 PM

402 posts, read 1,018,668 times
And in reply to your original post. Change can start with you! You can make a difference!

Old 05-01-2008, 08:18 PM

762 posts, read 1,599,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLifes2shrt View Post
Your history of slavery, you can turn it into a positive, rather than keeping you down, use it to keep you up!!!! If you surrounded by negative pple get rid of them! Surround yourself around winners and not victims. Pple that look towards the future, not stuck in the past!

I swear do you have a clue slavery doesnt keep anybody down because slavery hasnt happened to anybody thats alive
Only white people and in this case asians (ahahaha i think im funny) think that slavery is holding black people down.
And i think white people think about slavery more than black people

and you still didnt aswer the question of my last post

Old 05-01-2008, 08:32 PM

437 posts, read 633,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 414Milwaukee View Post
And i think white people think about slavery more than black people
I think white people think about black people more than black people think of white people. But that's just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLifes2shrt View Post
Unlike many other countries there is no class seperation of poor/rich/color/sex when it comes to education and etc.
So all of those studies ever since Brown are wrong?

Old 05-01-2008, 08:49 PM
miu

17,721 posts, read 40,330,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arimor View Post
Yes, we got that. And it wasn't only the blacks that weren't treated equally, all women, including white women had less rights including not having the right to vote. Then the Chinese were discriminated against and other groups of immigrants when they first arrived in this country, like the Irish and the Italians. But over time, these issues of inequality have been and still are being addressed. This is a relatively young country, and it's understandable why it wasn't perfect from the start. And if you don't like being an American, then go back to your home country.

As a Chinese woman, born in this country, I am very proud to be an American and I very much appreciate being a single woman living in the Northeast. I could never live in the Bible Belt because it's just too christian for me. But I love my corner of the US a lot. And I know that if my family hadn't left China when the communists too over, my life would be completely different and in not a good way.

And yes, a few times in my life, I've experienced negative racial prejudice, but I considered the type of people spewing that ugliness and I didn't let their insults get me down. I refuse to empower their hateful words.

I am an optimist and I choose to see the best in any situation. My life isn't perfect, but I'm very happy and I wouldn't change a thing. I am definitely not a bitter person. And I don't think that the US owes any sort of reparation to the blacks in this country. My only objection to Obama being president is that I don't think he is currently qualified to run it well. It's nothing to do with the colour of his skin.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:53 PM

437 posts, read 633,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
And if you don't like being an American, then go back to your home country.
For Native Americans and African-Americans, this is their country. And for Mexicans and Mexicans Americans living in certain parts of the south, the same applies.

Any other ideas?

Old 05-01-2008, 09:01 PM

762 posts, read 1,599,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraKGrisgby View Post
For Native Americans and African-Americans, this is their country. And for Mexicans and Mexicans Americans living in certain parts of the south, the same applies.

Any other ideas?

Laura I wish we can give more rep because everytime you post i want to give you rep

Old 05-01-2008, 09:11 PM

728 posts, read 1,684,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nietzschean Gangsta View Post
Africa, generally speaking, is a mere shadow of what it used to be. This is not to say that it was some kind of Eden or paradise, but it was not the humongous mass of misery that it is today. People need to read up on African history before they start spouting off inane ideas about something they both do not know and do not understand.

for starters, why don't some of you Google African History. There are over 18 million entries. Now is the time to increase your knowledge instead of embarrassing yourselves.
Inevitably, like everything else, it will be blamed on good ole whitey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.