Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2020, 10:32 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,656,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Yes, a mask is certainly better than nothing for that purpose. However, a mask could be 100% effective but one could still get the virus by contracting it through the eyes. If research determines this is true, you may see people looking further weird by wearing goggles or some other type of eye shield.
I don’t care how anyone looks, if someone feels the need to wear goggles, more power to them. I think that’s the biggest issue with the masks, people are so concerned how it might make them look. I have a couple of coworkers like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2020, 10:32 AM

35,739 posts, read 21,093,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Exactly! They are too dumb to understand that it’s going to take the majority of the population feeling comfortable enough to go out in public to bring the economy back, yet the very things they are doing are making people want to stay away. They really couldn’t care less about business owners, they are only concerned about themselves.
Exactly the elite superheroes that won't wear mask makes the rest of the population wary to come and use the facilities that are opened. The un-masked don't give a ratz arese they just want to show their political colors -or ignorance - really.

Old 05-16-2020, 10:34 AM

18,480 posts, read 15,269,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Yes, a mask is certainly better than nothing for that purpose. However, a mask could be 100% effective but one could still get the virus by contracting it through the eyes. If research determines this is true, you may see people looking further weird by wearing goggles or some other type of eye shield.
True. Viruses can be contracted through the eyes, though it is considerably the less common route. And typically, when that is the route, it is through touching the area around the eye with a contaminated finger. Nothing does more to prevent the spread of viruses than hand washing. Nothing is 100%, but it is all about minimizing the risk.

Old 05-16-2020, 10:35 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,662,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
They probably think it pointless and stupid to practice social distancing as well.

Old 05-16-2020, 10:40 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,907,325 times
If you really are that opposed to masks please cough or sneeze into your elbow or pull up your shirt over your nose and mouth.

You might save a life.

Old 05-16-2020, 10:42 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,194,837 times
So, face masks, the kind that most of us wear while out grocery shopping, don’t really harm most people. But the rationalizations people use to not wear masks go on and on.

Old 05-16-2020, 10:43 AM

39,239 posts, read 27,639,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
With freedom comes responsibility. Individuals who don't act responsible will lead to a spike in deaths that will spook customers away from engaging in many economic activities. No government mandates will be needed to keep many home.

Thanks, I was beginning to think I was the only sane non-liberal here.
You want to use deadly force against somebody without a mask, I don't think that is "sane".

Sanity is a completely subjective term. If a group of people came together and dispassionately decided on the rules of what it means to be sane. Then that would be objective sanity. A bench mark for people to reach, to be declared sane.

At first, the CDC advised health care workers to wear N95 respirators because it wasn't clear whether COVID-19 could spread through aerosol. A March 17 study in the New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM) seemed to justify the fear of airborne spread, showing that the new coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 could survive in the air for up to 3 hours as an aerosol.

The new study showed that the virus was viable as an aerosol in a lab, but not in real life, In the study, the researchers "took extremely concentrated virus, much more concentrated than a person makes, they used an artificial aerosol machine [a nebulizer], which probably generates way more aerosol than a normal person does," "So their conclusions were in this system."

My uncle is an ER doctor, he has always told me (till this day) that N95 mask is not necessary if I just want to go to a grocery store. N95 respirators are challenging to put on it requires training to put on properly. Moreover, the N95 respirator is thick, so it's hard to breathe through.

The problem with mask (any kinds) is that it might offer a false sense of security. For example: People tend to ignore the social distancing rule when they have masks on. When you adjust your regular mask in public, touching your face to adjust your mask, that mask is basically useless.

It is the combination of many things to slow the spreading of this virus: social distancing, frequent hand washing, train your brain to know where your hands are ( don't touch your face, are far more important than just wearing a face mask. This doesn't mean face mask does not work.

It looks like you believe face mask is the magic solution of everything. I found it quite odd.

Old 05-16-2020, 10:58 AM

35,739 posts, read 21,093,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterful_Man View Post
Cloth masks do not work in preventing virus spread:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4420971/

(This study, link above ^ cautions against the use of cloth masks, because they are not effective)
You may insert a filter, which I do
Below is tests findings of what masks can do or not do.. it's very helpful.

The Ultimate Guide to Homemade Face Masks for Coronavirus

https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/...aterial-covid/

https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/...aterial-covid/

Old 05-16-2020, 11:00 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,149,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterful_Man View Post
https://www.technocracy.news/blayloc...o-the-healthy/

Apparently some of these masks, such as the N95 mask, can hamper breathing and lower oxygen intake if worn for long periods of time. Face masks can also worsen a person's health if they have a pre-existing lung condition.
No one's requiring the public to wear N95 masks, which are the types of masks that carry those risks.

Surgical masks and cloth coverings are acceptable and perfectly safe for normal people to use.

So stop spreading misinformation. It's irresponsible.

Old 05-16-2020, 11:03 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,662,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
You want to use deadly force against somebody without a mask, I don't think that is "sane".

Sanity is a completely subjective term. If a group of people came together and dispassionately decided on the rules of what it means to be sane. Then that would be objective sanity. A bench mark for people to reach, to be declared sane.

At first, the CDC advised health care workers to wear N95 respirators because it wasn't clear whether COVID-19 could spread through aerosol. A March 17 study in the New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM) seemed to justify the fear of airborne spread, showing that the new coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 could survive in the air for up to 3 hours as an aerosol.

The new study showed that the virus was viable as an aerosol in a lab, but not in real life, In the study, the researchers "took extremely concentrated virus, much more concentrated than a person makes, they used an artificial aerosol machine [a nebulizer], which probably generates way more aerosol than a normal person does," "So their conclusions were in this system."

My uncle is an ER doctor, he has always told me (till this day) that N95 mask is not necessary if I just want to go to a grocery store. N95 respirators are challenging to put on it requires training to put on properly. Moreover, the N95 respirator is thick, so it's hard to breathe through.

The problem with mask (any kinds) is that it might offer a false sense of security. For example: People tend to ignore the social distancing rule when they have masks on. When you adjust your regular mask in public, touching your face to adjust your mask, that mask is basically useless.

It is the combination of many things to slow the spreading of this virus: social distancing, frequent hand washing, train your brain to know where your hands are ( don't touch your face, are far more important than just wearing a face mask. This doesn't mean face mask does not work.

It looks like you believe face mask is the magic solution of everything. I found it quite odd.
But I believe in practicing social distancing in public while wearing a mask, knowing my cloth mask is far from 100% effective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies