Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2020, 01:23 AM

37,218 posts, read 42,533,250 times

Advertisements

If anyone mentions pronouns to me I will go out of my way to do the opposite. Just no. Shut up and no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2020, 05:26 AM

9,762 posts, read 4,513,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I’ve noticed it, but do we need a law against it?

Agree.

Quote:
Seems to me that conservatives cannot stand it if they aren’t enraged about something.
Seriously? The foundation of liberalism is righteous indignation and faux outrage. No slight is too small not to be worthy of a Congressional investigation.

Old 02-22-2020, 08:38 AM

26,979 posts, read 16,004,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
No, that doesn't work. Doesn't sound right at all. 'They' can not replace he or she in English. If it was your neighbors, you could use they.
In his example what pronoun would you use? If gender is unknown they is what I’d use and I ain’t exactly pc.

Old 02-22-2020, 11:01 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,087,297 times
Quote:
No, that doesn't work. Doesn't sound right at all. 'They' can not replace he or she in English. If it was your neighbors, you could use they.
It may be a regional thing. I live in the Northeast and have been hearing people (from all walks of life and social strata) use "they" in the genderless-single context I described, for 7+ decades.

But aside from that, numerous well-known writers have used "they" in this way: Jane Austen, Shakespeare, Ruskin, and Chaucer ... to name a few.

The American Dialect Society's "word of the year" for 2015 was the singular-pronoun use of "they." In addition:

Bill Walsh, a copyeditor at the Washington Post, announced [in 2015] that the newspaper’s official style guide now allows the use of gender-neutral singular they. He called the use of they “the only sensible solution to English’s lack of a gender-neutral third-person singular personal pronoun.”

In 2016, the journal American Speech published a study by Darren K. LaScotte investigating the pronouns used by native English speakers in informal written responses to questions concerning a subject of unspecified gender, finding that 68% of study participants chose singular they to refer to such an antecedent.

They in this context was named Word of the Year for 2019 by Merriam-Webster.

On January 4 2020, the American Dialect Society announced they had crowned they, again in this context, Word of the Decade for the 2010s.

From the 2010 edition of the Chicago Manual of Style:

The singular they. A singular antecedent requires a singular referent pronoun. Because he is no longer accepted as a generic pronoun referring to a person of either sex, it has become common in speech and in informal writing to substitute the third-person plural pronouns they, them, their, and themselves, and the nonstandard singular themself. While this usage is accepted in casual context, it is still considered ungrammatical in formal writing.

I'll grant you that not all stylebooks/guides agree on the desirability of using they as singular, but to say that it "cannot replace he or she in English" isn't defensible either. Obviously it can, because it does. :-)

Old 02-22-2020, 05:46 PM

41 posts, read 23,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
Joe: "You won't believe what my neighbor did yesterday!"
Jane: "What did they do?"
Jane: "What?"

See? It's unnecessary to use a plural pronoun with a singular antecedent. Anyone who says otherwise is merely unaware of the solutions. I am posting this to assist those who are unaware, because the confusion caused by disagreement of number can lead to a dangerous situation--all because ^some^ folks want to be gender neutral.

But get this: Has anybody noticed that this other but related business of specifying a person's pronouns is the very ^opposite^ of wanting to be gender neutral? It goes to show you that folks are allowing emotions to cause irrational behavior. This situation is extremely bad for the well-being of our country. We should be striving to maintain intelligent, responsible culture, instead of allowing emotions to destroy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
Bill Walsh, a copyeditor at the Washington Post, announced [in 2015] that the newspaper’s official style guide now allows the use of gender-neutral singular they. He called the use of they "the only sensible solution to English's lack of a gender-neutral third-person singular personal pronoun."
" . . . the only sensible solution . . . "?!

He is either unaware of the solutions, of which there is an adequate number, or at the very least unwilling to embrace the solutions. It's hilarious that a "professional" newspaper person could be unaware of the solutions.

It is often unnecessary to use pronouns. We can reorder words, combine words, repeat words, imply words (i.e., be elliptical), use different descriptions, find ways to force the use of plural subjects, and so on. Just ^think,^ and in time you will find yourself being able to be gender neutral in ways that do not offend those who recognize the importance of, and who therefore defend, consistency of number.

If you would like a second solution, then here it is:

Jane: "What happened?"

See? We don't need to use pronouns; we just need to use our brains.

Last edited by HiToYou; 02-22-2020 at 06:05 PM..

Old 02-22-2020, 06:12 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,087,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiToYou View Post
Jane: "What?"
Okay, I'll play.

As a written exchange, "What?" as an answer is ambiguous, because it could just as easily mean "Please repeat what you just said" if Jane wasn't paying attention or didn't hear Joe properly. (As a person who suddenly lost 85% of the hearing in her left ear a few years ago, I say "What?" far more often than I used to, LOL)

Obviously, in a face-to-face conversation Joe would know from Jane's facial expression (i.e., showing either interest or puzzlement) what she meant; in a phone conversation, her inflection would convey the meaning.

I agree that in many cases it's preferable to avoid pronouns when writing. However, in casual speech, most people tend to go with the response that feels more natural. A listener who is by nature more voluble and/or more engaged with the conversation may well respond with "What did they do?" instead of an abrupt "What?"

Old 02-22-2020, 07:04 PM

2,448 posts, read 908,992 times
The soundest advice I can give is to ignore and avoid anyone who says anything about her/his preferred pronouns. You are ipso facto dealing with a narcissistic, manipulative person.

If you are in a situation, like work, where you receive such demands, simply refer to her/him by a first or last name. That's what I have done in school.

Old 02-22-2020, 09:24 PM

18,014 posts, read 15,762,744 times
Quote:
Have you all noticed that everybody, especially academics, are now specifying what their "pronouns" are - even normal heterosexual non-transgender people.

e.g "So and so is a Phd in ethnic studies, and his pronouns are he/him/his"

WTF?!

This is not something that people ever did before. This LGBT madness is out of control and has got to stop.
Mmm yes. I've certainly noticed this. So long as nobody tell me I have to do it I reckon I cant care. Call me anything but late for supper I'm athinkin'.

And since I dont travel in the same circles as "higher educated" folks I'm not likely to have anyone force this silliness on me.

Should occasion arise whereas someone ever does..well..I'll burn that bridge when I get there.

Old 02-22-2020, 10:57 PM

10,608 posts, read 5,785,092 times
My pronouns are Priapic, Handsome, and Wealthy.

Old 02-22-2020, 10:59 PM

32,379 posts, read 15,360,221 times
Quote:
Have you all noticed that everybody, especially academics, are now specifying what their "pronouns" are - even normal heterosexual non-transgender people.

e.g "So and so is a Phd in ethnic studies, and his pronouns are he/him/his"

WTF?!

This is not something that people ever did before. This LGBT madness is out of control and has got to stop.
No one cares about the pronouns you use. So you shouldn't care about the pronouns others use. And just leave the LGBT's alone. Let them leave in peace without judging. We are all Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies