Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2019, 12:58 AM

56,966 posts, read 35,355,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
That's about the size of it. I live in Navajo Country; it's pretty empty, too.
Absolutely. But at least you’re not deluding yourself. People in Navajo County know exactly where they stand in the state’s pecking order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snebarekim View Post
Those of us in Yavapai disagree. You can keep your crowds and heat, we will enjoy our 4 seasons and high desert beauty. Our biggest problem in Arizona and Yavapai in particular is it just too attractive to Californians escaping their hyper regulation, high taxes, expensive housing and general COL.

Too many of them drag their leftward ideals with them when they arrive . The Californians that are in favor of the freedom that comes with Arizona's respect for the 2nd amendment are certianly welcome to come.

The rest, well, Oregon is thataway pal ^^^^^.
I live in Cochise County. We don’t have any crowds and it’s not that hot down here on the Southeast border. This is the high desert no different than Yavapai is. The Southern part of your county isn’t even high desert. What is Wickenburg? Maybe 2500 ft high? There ain’t a single spot in our county that sits THAT low, and a huge portion of Yavapai County doesn’t even get 4 seasons despite your claim.

Moreover, it’s has become a trite and tiresome spiel to hear Arizonans constantly excoriating Californians for all of our state’s problems. Arizona has had disastrous internal politics ever since I can remember...long before any Californians decided to move here in large numbers.

As a codicil to that, it’s also quite boring to hear my fellow Arizonans whining about the politics of incoming residents. Americans pick their states, states don’t pick their residents. No new arrival to any state is obligated to vote the way that longer term residents have traditionally voted. I don’t know where some of you get that notion from. Arizona’s demography has changed in a huge way, and the state is no longer the backwater it used to be. The new migrants have brought in a ton of money that this state never had, and we’ve got a far more dynamic economy than the one I grew up with. You think the new Amazon facility would’ve moved here if we were the same Arizona that we were in 1980?

Lastly, this state is more than a gathering place for gun nuts. My goodness, you can buy a firearm in this state and put it on your hip as soon as you walk out the store. Nothing else needed...and yet, you guys are STILL kvetching about gun rights? LOL...what do you want? Gun rights aren’t even close to being threatened in this state even AFTER a beloved congresswoman was shot in the head by some deranged Beelzebub type character. SMH

I really don’t know what exactly you guys are caterwauling about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2019, 03:55 AM

3,975 posts, read 2,013,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I live in Cochise County. We don’t have any crowds and it’s not that hot down here on the Southeast border. This is the high desert no different than Yavapai is. The Southern part of your county isn’t even high desert. What is Wickenburg? Maybe 2500 ft high? There ain’t a single spot in our county that sits THAT low, and a huge portion of Yavapai County doesn’t even get 4 seasons despite your claim.
I assumed you were in Maricopa when I posted that. I like Cochise county myself, have some good lifelong former military friends in Sierra Vista.

Wickenburg is more in Maricopa than it is in Yavapai, yet they still get some snow in Jan-Feb on average.

Most Yavapai residents do get 4 seasons indeed. Congress and Yarnell have less than 1000 residents each, but follow the 89 north from them and you get to Prescott where my house is, at 5700 feet.

Prescott-Prescott Valley-Chino Valley-Dewey is the quad city area, and has the lions share of Yavapai county population. You got about 10K more folks each in Sedona and Cottonwood, both with 4 seasons also.

Quote:
Moreover, it’s has become a trite and tiresome spiel to hear Arizonans constantly excoriating Californians for all of our state’s problems.
I dont hear any Arizonans excoriating Californians for "all of the states problems" at all. What I hear is Arizonans stating, "Hey, dont bring your self inflicted problems from there to here."

Quote:
As a codicil to that, it’s also quite boring to hear my fellow Arizonans whining about the politics of incoming residents. Americans pick their states, states don’t pick their residents. No new arrival to any state is obligated to vote the way that longer term residents have traditionally voted. I don’t know where some of you get that notion from.
And yet when you have a large influx of people escaping the conditions they themselves created by voting those problems in back there, most of us dont want it replicated in our front yard. Prescott, (also the county seat) city council has had a number of California transplants run for city council. One proudly had a Bernie sign in her yard in 2016. That is dragging your problems from there to here. Sorry, we dont want your tax schemes, dopey green mandates beyond common sense, and "conversations" about gun control in our already low crime county, and of course your constant push to expand city/county government all the time. I like my $1200 per year property taxes as they are.

There are many of us that think this way, so expect to remain "bored" with it. If we remain vocal about it, like minded folks will tend to see AZ (and Yavapai) as a retreat from progressive nonsense (and they are most welcome!) and progressives looking to escape their own situations may think other destinations may be more suitable (like Oregon).

Quote:
Lastly, this state is more than a gathering place for gun nuts. My goodness, you can buy a firearm in this state and put it on your hip as soon as you walk out the store. Nothing else needed...and yet, you guys are STILL kvetching about gun rights? LOL...what do you want? Gun rights aren’t even close to being threatened in this state even AFTER a beloved congresswoman was shot in the head by some deranged Beelzebub type character. SMH

I really don’t know what exactly you guys are caterwauling about.
AZ is one of the most 2nd amendment friendly states in the union, we want to keep it that way. We resist the frog in the warming pot, death by 1000 tiny cuts that have brought other states (like California) into their hyper regulated (yet still ineffective) modes.

Last edited by snebarekim; 11-05-2019 at 04:13 AM..

Old 11-05-2019, 04:07 AM

34,400 posts, read 18,792,296 times
We don't need government to tell us we can exercise a Natural Right. Do we ask them if we can speak?

Old 11-05-2019, 05:20 AM

8,930 posts, read 4,671,508 times
Good on Mohave county.

Old 11-05-2019, 06:22 AM

3,842 posts, read 3,094,018 times
Small but meaningful victory. Every Right step counts.

Old 11-05-2019, 06:52 AM

50,699 posts, read 47,553,788 times
Quote:
What are you talking about? California is overwhelmingly rural. It just happens to have 3 large metro areas. Texas has more metro areas than that, yet you and others wouldn’t describe Texas the way you’re describing California. Ever seen Houston or Austin traffic?
I wouldn't enjoy a big city in any State. What is your point? You can build wealth in any big city, at a cost. That cost is everything I've already mentioned. Texas is on my radar btw but not any of the areas CA libs have ruined.

If you don't live at the beach or in a large metro area why would you be in CA? Better off one State over. I have a pension so I need to git.

Old 11-05-2019, 08:01 AM

39,190 posts, read 51,565,881 times
Meanwhile, elsewhere in Arizona, Tucson is voting today whether or not to become a sanctuary city. We are a state in transition, apparently the worry of the McVeigh-types in Mohave county.

Old 11-05-2019, 09:35 AM

18,972 posts, read 8,605,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Meanwhile, elsewhere in Arizona, Tucson is voting today whether or not to become a sanctuary city. We are a state in transition, apparently the worry of the McVeigh-types in Mohave county.
I'm sure you know that McVeigh lived in Kingman for a while?

Old 11-05-2019, 10:26 AM

56,966 posts, read 35,355,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snebarekim View Post
I assumed you were in Maricopa when I posted that. I like Cochise county myself, have some good lifelong former military friends in Sierra Vista.

Wickenburg is more in Maricopa than it is in Yavapai, yet they still get some snow in Jan-Feb on average.

Most Yavapai residents do get 4 seasons indeed. Congress and Yarnell have less than 1000 residents each, but follow the 89 north from them and you get to Prescott where my house is, at 5700 feet.

Prescott-Prescott Valley-Chino Valley-Dewey is the quad city area, and has the lions share of Yavapai county population. You got about 10K more folks each in Sedona and Cottonwood, both with 4 seasons also.

I dont hear any Arizonans excoriating Californians for "all of the states problems" at all. What I hear is Arizonans stating, "Hey, dont bring your self inflicted problems from there to here."

And yet when you have a large influx of people escaping the conditions they themselves created by voting those problems in back there, most of us dont want it replicated in our front yard. Prescott, (also the county seat) city council has had a number of California transplants run for city council. One proudly had a Bernie sign in her yard in 2016. That is dragging your problems from there to here. Sorry, we dont want your tax schemes, dopey green mandates beyond common sense, and "conversations" about gun control in our already low crime county, and of course your constant push to expand city/county government all the time. I like my $1200 per year property taxes as they are.

There are many of us that think this way, so expect to remain "bored" with it. If we remain vocal about it, like minded folks will tend to see AZ (and Yavapai) as a retreat from progressive nonsense (and they are most welcome!) and progressives looking to escape their own situations may think other destinations may be more suitable (like Oregon).

AZ is one of the most 2nd amendment friendly states in the union, we want to keep it that way. We resist the frog in the warming pot, death by 1000 tiny cuts that have brought other states (like California) into their hyper regulated (yet still ineffective) modes.
Why in the heck would you assume that I lived in Maricopa County when I never said that I did? I was raised in Maricopa, but I haven’t lived there in decades.

It’s lost on you and others that citizens pick states in America; it’s not the other way around. So people moving here are under no obligation to vote the way you want them to. Moreover, I don’t get the constant bellyaching about Californians. People from all over the United States move here. Why are you guys so bound and determined to make this a California outmigration issue? Did you ask the people with the Bernie signs if they were from Cali? Hell, I’m a native Arizonan, and if Bernie is the nominee, he’s getting my vote too.

I like how you talk about other states like California being so over regulated, but until our relatively recent population bump due to all the transplants, Arizona’s economy was a joke. Being a right to work state with little regulation had done absolutely nothing for this state. We still couldn’t attract large employers to move here in any real numbers. And the ones that were already here like Ruger up in your part of the woods payed laughable wages. Ruger is STILL little more than a glorified sweatshop.

Lastly, gun rights in Arizona aren’t even close to being threatened. I don’t know why you guys are giving that issue all of this outsized importance and giving outsiders the impression that there’s this big gun rights battle going on inside the state. It’s not even a blip on the state radar.

Arizona is purple now. It’s gonna keep trending that way THANK GOODNESS!! It’s now the dynamic state that I’d always hoped it would be. You blood red guys wanted to keep this state in the dark ages....I’m glad that your previous grip on this state’s politics has been severely loosened.

Old 11-05-2019, 12:22 PM

7,649 posts, read 10,012,267 times
Ah, now I get it. DesertDetroiter is jealous because he lives in the forgotten armpit of Arizona, the place that only makes the news when some border atrocity occurs and where nothing substantial has occurred since a bunch of bullies had a shootout in Tombstone 150 years ago. There's nothing down there but a big old polluted copper strip mine and some pot head hippie hold outs in Bisbee, and the cartel owned town of Douglas.

Oh and of course just today the Cochise county sheriff declared the border area unsafe to travel after NINE mormons were exterminated by mexican cartel gunmen just south of the border.

https://www.kgun9.com/news/local-new...avel-to-mexico
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies