Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 09:07 PM

471 posts, read 1,479,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Because, they are responsible for all of the problems in the region
Haha. True. I just didn't want to sound totally against them. xD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 10:18 PM

20,403 posts, read 20,070,233 times
They sure do seem to be one group of perenially pissed off people.

Old 04-16-2008, 10:22 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,548,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredmommy View Post
I find it extremely troubling that people care so much who the Pope is or isn't meeting with.
I have to say I agree with you. I don't subscribe to the religion or any religion for that matter so why on earth would I want to meet him, hear him talk or even know he is in the country?

I don't blame Muslims for not wanting to meet him, in fact I would have found it strange. I don't believe that making this man as big a deal that he is, is a good idea, I would not lend credence to that by buying into the whole mess.

Old 04-16-2008, 10:32 PM

523 posts, read 1,286,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
It is interesting.

I would ask some to do this: Find out how many people are in the United States. Then, find out how many Americans identify themselves as Roman Catholics - not simply Christians - CATHOLICS.

It is my opinion that after you do this - you will come to know why the Popes visit is taken seriously

Of American Christians:

26% Roman Catholic.
17% Baptist.
7% Methodist.
5% Lutheran

The 2001 numbers state that 80% of Americans are Christian (which, of course, includes all of the above mentioned) down from 88% in 1990.

There are over 70 Million Roman Catholics in the USA.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:59 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,937,560 times
who cares.. its basically a kid on one block having a tiff with a kid on another block as far as I'm concerned. They're in the same business of stifling personal freedoms through psychological means... whats good for the goose is good for the gander... I mean.. I think the pope sucks.. and so does the organized muslim crap too... one's no better than the other... its all just so ridiculous.. I'm sorry...

Old 04-17-2008, 07:52 AM

31 posts, read 145,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Why? I think it is interesting. The Pope represents a huge number of Christians. Why would you find it troubling that people are interested in who he meets (and I don't mean to be contentious - just curious).

I just don't understand how it is relevant to...well, anything. As far as the Pope "representing" Christians, I gotta tell you, most of the Christians I know would be insulted to be considered to be represented by him (from what I understand, he's not among the more well liked Popes, whatever that means). Having been raised Catholic, and now being pretty much agnostic, I just don't see why the Catholic Church should continue to be so influential. We are supposed to be a "religiously neutral" nation and it just doesn't make sense to me to be worried about whether or not a Muslim leader will meet with a Catholic leader. I just see religion differently, with the leaders being more akin to the heads of cliques in a school fighting for turf than sources of guidance for modern spirituality. Does that about cover it?

Old 04-17-2008, 08:10 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,781,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredmommy View Post
I just don't understand how it is relevant to...well, anything. As far as the Pope "representing" Christians, I gotta tell you, most of the Christians I know would be insulted to be considered to be represented by him (from what I understand, he's not among the more well liked Popes, whatever that means). Having been raised Catholic, and now being pretty much agnostic, I just don't see why the Catholic Church should continue to be so influential. We are supposed to be a "religiously neutral" nation and it just doesn't make sense to me to be worried about whether or not a Muslim leader will meet with a Catholic leader. I just see religion differently, with the leaders being more akin to the heads of cliques in a school fighting for turf than sources of guidance for modern spirituality. Does that about cover it?
Hee Hee. Yes, that about covers it!!! I appreciate your taking the time to share your views.

I enjoy hearing what all religious leaders have to say. I saw an interview w/ the Dali Lama the other day and just being in his presence (tho by TV) made me smile . . . such a peaceful countenance.

I think we forget that the Pope is not just a religious leader, he is a Head of State - the Vatican. So his visit is not merely that of a religious leader - he is a recognized Head of State, just like any other ruler of another country.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:16 AM

31 posts, read 145,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Hee Hee. Yes, that about covers it!!! I appreciate your taking the time to share your views.

I enjoy hearing what all religious leaders have to say. I saw an interview w/ the Dali Lama the other day and just being in his presence (tho by TV) made me smile . . . such a peaceful countenance.

I think we forget that the Pope is not just a religious leader, he is a Head of State - the Vatican. So his visit is not merely that of a religious leader - he is a recognized Head of State, just like any other ruler of another country.

You know, I do tend to overlook the "head of state" aspect, simply for the fact that, while The Vatican is technically its own nation, it doesn't operate as one in my mind. We don't worry about our trade status with The Vatican, we don't import goods from The Vatican, and we'd never dream of invading The Vatican "for its own good", so I feel like the term "state" is sort of a misnomer.

ETA-And yes, I too get a lift from seeing the Dali Lama, you'd have to be kind of heartless not to IMO.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:17 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,682,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I have to say I agree with you. I don't subscribe to the religion or any religion for that matter so why on earth would I want to meet him, hear him talk or even know he is in the country?

I don't blame Muslims for not wanting to meet him, in fact I would have found it strange. I don't believe that making this man as big a deal that he is, is a good idea, I would not lend credence to that by buying into the whole mess.
Well, considering that it was only a few years ago Muslims were burning the Pope in effigy and calling for his death......yeah, maybe they just might want to meet with the guy. Although dialogue is a lot harder then death slogans, still

Old 04-17-2008, 08:25 AM

3,255 posts, read 5,097,485 times
[quote=tiredmommy;3489136]You know, I do tend to overlook the "head of state" aspect, simply for the fact that, while The Vatican is technically its own nation, it doesn't operate as one in my mind. We don't worry about our trade status with The Vatican, we don't import goods from The Vatican, and we'd never dream of invading The Vatican "for its own good", so I feel like the term "state" is sort of a misnomer.

quote]
He is the head of state of the Vatican. We, as Americans, do have lots of interaction with the Vatican, politically, socially, and spiritually. As religous belief is a basis for decision making among the faithful, and as this man leads a world wide population, it behooves us to maintain a good relationship. I do not understand the begrudgery. If the President wanted to host the Dali Lama, I would rejoice in his willingness to talk to people with differing belief systems and his willingness to treat other leaders with due respect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies