Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 06:00 PM

78,448 posts, read 60,652,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Why do you think I'm mad at free trade?
I'd say you are a TERRIBLE mind reader - don't give up your day job.
No surprise there I guess since you don't seem to know the Democratic Platform either.

Ken
Well, considering NAFTA is the #1 reason for the decline in US private unions I made the assumption that you knew what you were talking about when citing republican legislation that hurt the unions.

But I guess you just can't bring yourself to admit to any bi-partisan culpability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2019, 06:00 PM

21,952 posts, read 9,522,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nap1313 View Post
I live in a neighborhood in Chicago full of rich, limousine liberals that talk the talk but don’t want to walk the walk. They will talk about uplifting the under class, but god forbid anyone try to build a shelter in their neighborhood of million dollar homes and rising property values that displace middle class families that have lived there for much longer, but can not afford to due to the property tax burdens.

They are just as bad as those on the right who simply say “F*** the poor.”
They appeal their property taxes, too. Shouldn't they be happy to pay full fare?

Old 02-23-2019, 06:09 PM

78,448 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
I don't know....he just used Chicago as an example here.

You can literally pick just about any democrat-run inner city sh--hole in America and find that indeed democratic politicians have ruined them.
I'm not seeing a good case for that being made by the infotainer from FOX (and I'm hard of all the media).

What he presented proved nothing other than to try to get some cheap ratings.

Again, I'd be open to a study but there are major societal and macro-economic factors going on around his conveniently selected starting point with regards to integration, white flight, increased foreign manufacturing competition and so on and so forth.

I grew up in a small town, very republican town...the factory that used to make the town wealthy started to decline around the 1970's. It steadily declined until well now it is gone and what used to be a lot of good paying jobs are now all bad paying jobs in countries like China and Mexico.

That town is no longer prosperous as good jobs are much fewer and farther between these days.

It had zero to do with anything the town did and this scene unfolded in every city in the US whether it had 10,000 or a few million residents.

Old 02-23-2019, 06:36 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,248,493 times
Quote:

You can literally pick just about any democrat-run inner city sh--hole in America and find that indeed democratic politicians have ruined them.
I can't imagine some of you extremist .... have ever been to Chicago. Boggles my mine how people just are this extreme..... Even Donald Trump would not say that. He built his tallest Trump Tower in Chicago. Guess its a s--t Ho-e to him too to invest in.

Just ridiculous rhetoric. Its like being UnAmerican to me in such extremism.

Last edited by DavePa; 07-20-2019 at 12:56 AM..

Old 02-23-2019, 06:45 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,094,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
I can't imagine some of you extremist .... have ever been to Chicago. Boggles my mine how people just are this extreme..... Even Donald Trump would not say that. He built his tallest Trump Tower in Chicago. Guess its a s--t Ho-e to him too to invest in.

Just ridiculous rhetoric. Its like being UnAmerican to me in such extremism.
My mother's entire family is from Illinois. I actually had a family member living in Chicago, and I have been there (when I was a kid we took a family vacation to Illinois every Summer).

So I know more about it than most places. It's not like it's a secret or anything anyways for people that don't have ties to that State/city.

Unfortunately half of Chicago's undesirables have relocated to my city (Minneapolis) though, so I get a nice dose of Chicago just about whenever I feel like it.

Old 02-23-2019, 06:53 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,202,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
I understand it just fine. Do YOU?

"Median income is the amount that divides the income distribution into two equal groups, half having income above that amount, and half having income below that amount. Mean income (average) is the amount obtained by dividing the total aggregate income of a group by the number of units in that group."

"Pew defines the middle class as those earning between two-thirds and double the median household income.This means that the category of middle-income is made up of people making somewhere between $40,500 and $122,000."

In Chicago HALF the households have an income of over $68,000 - WELL within the range of "Middle Class"

Ken
$68,000 can seem like a lot for a household if it's just one person. A high school teacher starts off making less than that. The same with truck drivers with little to no experience.

Chicago's median household income is $52,000 with a per capita of $32,000. The average adult individual in Chicago probably has an income closer to the per capita figure. The affluent neighborhood of Lincoln Park has a household median income of $95,000, and Lakeview at $82,000. Both are in the blue on the map, and neither I would say are middle class neighborhoods and are home to a large amount of non-married young professionals( yuppies) .

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 02-23-2019 at 07:02 PM..

Old 02-23-2019, 06:56 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,248,493 times
Quote:
My mother's entire family is from Illinois. I actually had a family member living in Chicago, and I have been there (when I was a kid we took a family vacation to Illinois every Summer).

So I know more about it than most places. It's not like it's a secret or anything anyways for people that don't have ties to that State/city.

Unfortunately half of Chicago's undesirables have relocated to my city (Minneapolis) though, so I get a nice dose of Chicago just about whenever I feel like it.
I could say that by me in East Central PA in those coming from NYC and Philly. But these ARE OUR AMERICAN CITIES. Chicago may have two sides. But its better side (I'll use it just lightly not to offend) is bigger then Minneapolis.

Like I show. It s a amazing city that is a Tourism Mecca now too. 58-million up 2-million from 2017. So despite its issues. Some things it thrives in. I'm not young either. BUT I USE REASON not merely on politics or race.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/terrico.../#4110c13d7842

Old 02-23-2019, 06:59 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,917,076 times
Quote:

What happened to most of America's inner cities is a lot more complex than "Democrat vs. Republican". To really understand it, you should become familiar with redlining, "white flight", race riots, the rise of the automobile (and building of freeways), and the subsidization of suburban living.

Throw in a healthy dose of deindustrialization and outsourcing of jobs - and you can see how things have went the way they did.

Old 02-23-2019, 07:08 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,343,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Well, considering NAFTA is the #1 reason for the decline in US private unions I made the assumption that you knew what you were talking about when citing republican legislation that hurt the unions.

But I guess you just can't bring yourself to admit to any bi-partisan culpability.
Really?
NAFTA is the "#1 reason for the decline in US private unions"?
REALLY?
Hmmmm, that's weird, because union membership was ALREADY FALLING drastically for DECADES before NAFTA and most of the union jobs lost since NAFTA have likely been lost due to increased automation and trade with CHINA rather than Mexico or Canada. Most economists blame the 1947 GOP Taft-Hartley Act for much of the decline. That makes sense since within a few short years of it's signing union membership began it's long decline. In fact, union membership percentage had already fallen by nearly TWO THIRDS before NAFTA was ever signed into law.

Bur I guess you just can't bring yourself to admit that you don't have clue about this subject.

Ken
Attached Thumbnails
Chicago's Middle Class Has Almost Disappeared-la-fi-mh-unions-necessary-20140304  

Last edited by LordBalfor; 02-23-2019 at 07:58 PM..

Old 02-23-2019, 07:12 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,343,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
What happened to most of America's inner cities is a lot more complex than "Democrat vs. Republican". To really understand it, you should become familiar with redlining, "white flight", race riots, the rise of the automobile (and building of freeways), and the subsidization of suburban living.

Throw in a healthy dose of deindustrialization and outsourcing of jobs - and you can see how things have went the way they did.
EXACTLY right.

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies