Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you happy with Trump’s deal to reopen the Federal government for 3 weeks?
I’m happy with the deal 41 36.61%
It’s ok 50 44.64%
I’m unhappy with this deal 21 18.75%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 04:48 PM

4,041 posts, read 2,728,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
This entire charade was a huge waste of time. People went without their pay for NOTHING.

Three reasons I can think of that Trump made this move:
1. The airports were starting to delay flights.
2. Republicans were starting to revolt
3. Is this not a great day for Trump to change the subject???????

4.) Stone got arrested, and Trump needed a distraction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2019, 04:49 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,354,856 times
https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-ne...019/index.html

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell spoke with President Trump twice on Thursday — and Trump made the decision late Thursday that he wanted the shutdown to end, per a person familiar with their conversations

The first call came after a contentious Senate GOP lunch where Republican senators vented frustration at Vice President Mike Pence about the lack of strategy to get out of the shutdown. McConnell told Trump that it was unclear how much longer he could get GOP senators to hold the line — especially if there were another round of votes to end the shutdown.

Old 01-25-2019, 04:50 PM

11,165 posts, read 7,992,425 times
I think some of you folks are once again underestimating Trump..... He’s trying to play nice and show he’s flexible. The Dems aren’t going to cooperate so I am betting he pulls the “National Security” card if they don’t come around in February.

35,769 posts, read 21,126,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Trump reopened gov't with no border wall funding NONE.

Not a single Trump supporter should be happy.
Well all those fed workers who voted for him should be. But they will walk around sulking for awhile

7,833 posts, read 4,580,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Yeah and federal workers will get screwed over AGAIN. I can only hope next time the FAA all no show the first day of the shutdown.
You make a fair point. The workers might just follow the old adage "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me." and not wait around for the 2.0 version of a shutdown. This is particularly true for the some 20% of air traffic controllers who are currently eligible for retirement.

Old 01-25-2019, 04:51 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,405,116 times
Pump the breaks Team Blue.

Yes, it was a clear victory but the war isn't over yet. You guys never like it when Team Red celebrates prematurely.

But for the moment, this is fantastic. I say this as an apolitical impartial observer. Ann Coulter called Trump the biggest wimp of a president the U.S. has ever had and Team Red members are doing their best to spin the loss.

Winning!

Old 01-25-2019, 04:52 PM

5,731 posts, read 2,200,749 times
It kind of needed to be done, glad people can receive their checks. Score one for the Dems on this I guess, I have no problem admitting defeat when I see it. I am tired of kicking the can down the road on border security so not sure why the left is celebrating that. How much more illegal immigration and caravans do we need before congress finally acts? It’s embarrasing how partisan we have become, we’ve gridlocked ourselves from solving challenging problems.

Old 01-25-2019, 04:52 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,541,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
I think some of you folks are once again underestimating Trump..... He’s trying to play nice and show he’s flexible. The Dems aren’t going to cooperate so I am betting he pulls the “National Security” card if they don’t come around in February.
The emergency declaration seems like the most likely path at this point. But maybe the Democrats will cave and provide for some wall funding and work with Trump on the other aspects of a immigration related deal here.

I think the former is more likely, but I would seriously not entirely discount the possibility of the latter.

Old 01-25-2019, 04:54 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,354,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
At which point it will end up in court for months. Hardly a worry for the dems

Old 01-25-2019, 04:54 PM

35,769 posts, read 21,126,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
Just goes to show that he cares more about those out of work than spoiled Pelosi does....politically it's a win for Trump, although I'd rather see all those bearocratsfired and just pay the security services except the bloated unnecessary TSA.
What ? The hand was forced when the air traffic controllers called in sick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies