Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you happy with Trump’s deal to reopen the Federal government for 3 weeks?
I’m happy with the deal 41 36.61%
It’s ok 50 44.64%
I’m unhappy with this deal 21 18.75%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 05:58 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,655,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I am a democrat and I thought the President was super reasonable in his speech and at times seemed the most Presidential I have ever seen him. He did a good job in a hard situation and he definitely put country before personal wants.
I usually agree with you, but not this time. I wanted to hear details about things getting up and running - some sort of timeline, including when people who've been working would get paid and when those who have not would return to work. Instead, most of the speech was focused on how much we "need" the wall, and the whole thing was capped off with a threat to declare a national emergency if he doesn't get one.

He had an opportunity here, and I don't think he used it well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2019, 05:59 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,970,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I disagree. 3 weeks puts onus on Congress to compromise, and meet in the middle.

If they fail, he simply watches it close, but now, its the choice of Congress to shut down.

PS: Emergency Act could be used. Even if challenged later, the steel wall would be cast deep into the ground by time it was heard at a court.
I think you and I will have to agree to disagree about the wall. But I do hope a compromise can be reached.

Old 01-25-2019, 06:00 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,786,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
It's doomed anyway. It's doomed because the media is completely dishonest and is not reporting what is really going on, which is that one political side has done something really horrible to win and when the lost, they are weaponizing the government to bring down the opponent instead of fighting fair. I am not going to go into it all. The people who know my posts know what I am talking about. I am not going to argue with these leftist idiots anymore on here.
I don’t know, even Fox seems to be blaming Trump for the shutdown...

But hey, since you won’t be back anymore, I guess it’s irrelevant!

(Just kidding... See you on here again tomorrow!)

Old 01-25-2019, 06:03 PM

34,359 posts, read 17,555,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I think you and I will have to agree to disagree about the wall. But I do hope a compromise can be reached.
With just 3 weeks, both sides best come ready to give. Otherwise this 35 days may well seem short, and the next shutdown may be far more comprehensive.

Old 01-25-2019, 06:05 PM

38,856 posts, read 25,761,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
The emergency declaration seems like the most likely path at this point. But maybe the Democrats will cave and provide for some wall funding and work with Trump on the other aspects of a immigration related deal here.

I think the former is more likely, but I would seriously not entirely discount the possibility of the latter.
By all means, tRump should declare the emergency to get himself and his GOP another hard slapdown.

Old 01-25-2019, 06:05 PM

670 posts, read 259,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I think that's awesome.

And we are not back to square one if the House compromises.
Absolutely zero reasons for them to compromise. Trump is weak and they smell blood.

Old 01-25-2019, 06:06 PM

17,154 posts, read 13,101,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
I'm laughing my ass off at people like yourself who are bashing the President for giving you exactly what you wanted.
Giving us what we wanted? I don't think so. I highly doubt any sensible reader would say they wanted 800,000 working Americans to go without pay for a month while Trump pouted about not getting to spend billions of our tax dollars on his pet project. Because at the end of the day, the shutdown accomplished exactly nothing and did a heck of a lot of harm.

Old 01-25-2019, 06:08 PM

36,193 posts, read 18,597,213 times
The funniest new development, is Pelosi isn't saying the SOTU is back on. She said when the government was back from the shut down, she would hold a meeting with Trump, and they'll decide on a mutually agreeable date for the speech. A white house official seemed to agree that the SOTU will not occur next week.

Pelosi: Jump
Trump: How high?

Old 01-25-2019, 06:10 PM

670 posts, read 259,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Petty, spiteful and nasty? Who said that? I said thin skinned morons and I stand by that 100%.
The only thin skinned morons at C-D are the RWNJ's

Old 01-25-2019, 06:10 PM

25,125 posts, read 9,846,940 times
February 15 is the new government shutdown deadline, I won't hold my breath
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies