Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 08:37 AM

36,493 posts, read 30,827,524 times

Advertisements

I'm an animal lover. I have 6 dogs and take some of them (1 or 2 at a time) with me on short trips in the car because they like to go. But I dont understand this animals for emotional support crap. If you cant function emotionally without your pet next to you, there is something seriously wrong with you. I need emotional support because I have pets, not from my pets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2018, 08:45 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
It is like some of you have never left your house and town in your life.

Cats and dogs have been allowed on planes, in the cabin, for decades, it is not a new concept. Rules are they must be in a carrier and fit under the seat.

This issue and similar, has nothing to do with that.

Old 12-11-2018, 10:29 AM

19,603 posts, read 12,206,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post

Cats and dogs have been allowed on planes, in the cabin, for decades, it is not a new concept. Rules are they must be in a carrier and fit under the seat.

They were allowed but it wasn't very common. Now most flights seem to have animals on them. It is tough for those who have allergies considering the enclosed environment.

Old 12-11-2018, 10:41 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
It's about time.

Flew Southwest a few months ago. Three passengers holding mutts were pushed in wheelchairs to the front of the line.

Later, I saw these same passengers in the baggage claim area. None were in wheelchairs. All had their emotional support mutts on leashes as they elbowed their way through to the crowd to haul their suitcases off the carousel.

No one seemed in any need of emotional support pets or wheelchairs either, for that matter.

Old 12-11-2018, 11:03 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
They were allowed but it wasn't very common. Now most flights seem to have animals on them. It is tough for those who have allergies considering the enclosed environment.
Most flights probably always had animals on them, it is just that no one noticed because they were in a carrier, stored under the seat.

This is addressing those speaking to allergies, in that cats and dogs have always been allowed on board, for decades now.

Old 12-11-2018, 11:20 AM

19,603 posts, read 12,206,783 times
Quote:
Most flights probably always had animals on them, it is just that no one noticed because they were in a carrier, stored under the seat.

This is addressing those speaking to allergies, in that cats and dogs have always been allowed on board, for decades now.
People did not used to take pets everywhere with them, they would board them in kennels or have a family member or friend take care of them while they travelled. Most hotels did not even allow pets.

It is a totally different time. People used to behave better and knew that an animal was an animal not a person. They didn't even bring many children on airplanes and if they did they had to behave properly. There are many more babies and pets on flights than ever.

Old 12-11-2018, 11:35 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,174,626 times
Quote:

A. That didn't make it right. But they were usually stowed in with the luggage.

B. It's much more prolific now.

C. Condescension doesn't suit you.

Old 12-11-2018, 11:36 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
The number of people bringing *support* dogs has increased 150% since 2015 alone, according to Delta, and the number of incidents has increased by 84% since 2016.

A lot of these people just don't want to pay to have their pet boarded or pay to have them fly. That shouldn't be everyone else's problem. It's not just allergies - kids and adults have been bitten.

And honestly, some of us are just tired of self-centered pet owners. 2mares, thank you for exhibiting common sense and common courtesy when it comes to your pets.

Old 12-11-2018, 11:39 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,174,626 times
Honest question as it's never crossed my mind to bring my cat or dog on a plane with me. Is there a distance limit? Can one really fly on a 10+ hr flight with an animal without regard to it needing to relieve itself?

Old 12-11-2018, 11:45 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Honest question as it's never crossed my mind to bring my cat or dog on a plane with me. Is there a distance limit? Can one really fly on a 10+ hr flight with an animal without regard to it needing to relieve itself?
Dogs have relieved themselves on planes. That's part of the 84% increase in incidents since 2016.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.b773d1099b6f
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies