Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many votes will Brett Kavanaugh get for confirmation in the Senate?
61 or more 14 6.25%
58-60 7 3.13%
55-57 13 5.80%
50-54 144 64.29%
49 or less 46 20.54%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 12:31 PM

17,790 posts, read 9,516,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Do you understand how courts work at all, BentBow?

He would have to recuse himself.
You need to investigate how the US Supreme Court operates.
NOBODY "recuses" a Supreme Court Justice, except the Justice him/her self.

That said -- Judge Kavanaugh has a 12 year history of being a VERY FAIR Judge and I don't expect that to change because of the Rabid Leftists. THEY of course will never give up on trashing his life and I expect that he will accept that. You can lead a Donkey to water, but you can't make him drink.

Let him just die of thirst and "move on".

Old 10-01-2018, 12:33 PM

7,089 posts, read 9,669,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I'm GenX. Many of my contemporaries don't seem to get what's wrong with that. Luckily I taught my daughter a different way than I was raised. Between that and the progress of 30 years in our society I have her checking me when I say something that turns out to be part of the old conditioning. She was at an job orientation and was harassed by a guy. She moved away from him and told him to stop. He moved closer to her and continued. She went to the instructor and had him removed. The way I was raised I would have felt guilty for getting him in trouble or been taught to view it as a compliment. I'm so proud of the generation behind me. I'm proud of us GenXers for raising them.
But we can't swing that pendulum so far in the other direction where a woman sneezes and someone is torn down and publicly shamed for something they didn't do. There has to be a fair middle ground.

Yes, I believe in the #MeToo movement. But not a weaponized one. It should be a movement for healing and if possible, to private confront those who did harm. Not to drag them through the media and publicly shame them.

I think she was messy in how she vomited out this accusation all over the public domain.

Old 10-01-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
I doubt 95% of you will go on to the Supreme Court. The standards are pretty high.

You could shoot for president, though. We actually used to hold adults accountable, but we don't even do that any longer.
We used to focus on their merits and abilities. Not what they wrote in their high school yearbooks. If this keeps up, no one will deserve, as someone else put it, a political office.

We can't elect robots. Everyone is fallible. Even those throwing the most stones and who point at specks in others' eyes.

Old 10-01-2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Such a sacrifice would be close to meaningless. If Kav is derailed the chances are still pretty high another conservative judge will be confirmed.
And if that is true, what's to stop them from doing the same thing to the next nominee? They felt the risk was worth it. I get it. The Democrats had to play dirty. The Republicans were stomping all over them. They refused Merrick Garland and they were about to put a conservative judge on the SCOTUS that has opinions contrary to pro-lifers.

It was do-or-die for the Dems. If they have to, they'll find another Ford to sacrifice. The stakes are too high and they keep losing these important battles.

Old 10-01-2018, 12:55 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,752,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
You need to investigate how the US Supreme Court operates.
NOBODY "recuses" a Supreme Court Justice, except the Justice him/her self.

That said -- Judge Kavanaugh has a 12 year history of being a VERY FAIR Judge and I don't expect that to change because of the Rabid Leftists. THEY of course will never give up on trashing his life and I expect that he will accept that. You can lead a Donkey to water, but you can't make him drink.

Let him just die of thirst and "move on".
Actually - Kavanaugh's extreme partisanship has been noticed when he applied for other jobs and he was downgraded by the ABA for same.

Old 10-01-2018, 12:56 PM

2,705 posts, read 1,698,111 times
The democrats overplayed their hand.

If the letter was released in July and investigated there was a good chance Kavanugh's nomination would have been withdrawn by Trump even if the allegations were sketchy. Trump would have had sufficient time to nominate another one before the Nov elections.

But the stupid and senile DiFi was too clever for her own good and released it in the 11th hour. It was now too late to withdraw his nomination and get another one through the committee. There was a real possibility of a democratic majority post Nov 6. A lame duck senate has a poor chance of getting through another Trump nominee, and hence Trump struck to his original plan.

The allegations became more and more outrageous and Dr. Ford's co-witnesses have backed off from her account. The smear campaign against Kavaugh was threatening his current position in the appeals court. He had no safe way to withdraw from it. Like a cornered tiger he has chosen to fight back and the democrats have suddenly realized they have a tiger by its tail.

If the FBI report is inconclusive he will be elevated to SCOUS next week. The democrats have only themselves to blame. It is too late for him or Trump to withdraw him and nominate another and vote on him before Nov 6th.

Old 10-01-2018, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
If a supreme court judge cannot remain impartial then Yes they should step down.

BTW you should keep YOUR emotions in check . No need to call one a hypocrite until you know the truth.
Oh, how I wish judges would have stepped down during Reconstruction and Jim Crow.

Old 10-01-2018, 01:01 PM

22,979 posts, read 27,225,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I'm pretty much in agreement, except I don't think FBI clearance should equal an instant confirmation.

I do still think Congress may want to consider his behavior during this process.

He should have stepped down instead of creating this level of disturbance with his testimony.

Better yet, Trump should have pulled his name and put his other candidate up, because I know one has been vetted already.
You are aware that there is absolutely nobody that Trump could nominate that would be acceptable to the left/far left right?
I bet if he put up Garland he'd not be far left enough or would just be opposed because Trump did it...

Old 10-01-2018, 01:01 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,433,318 times
maybe Ford was so high all she could remember was Kav and Judge?

Old 10-01-2018, 01:02 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,986,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Without a doubt. Look at any social media outlet or news media outlet. Suddenly, every mouth breathing left winger in the country has learned what "temperament" means.
Well all knew what temperament was in 2016. However, it didn't mean anything, and neither will this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies