Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many votes will Brett Kavanaugh get for confirmation in the Senate?
61 or more 14 6.25%
58-60 7 3.13%
55-57 13 5.80%
50-54 144 64.29%
49 or less 46 20.54%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 10:57 PM

21,601 posts, read 10,770,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Riiiggghhhttttt. That’s what this is. Hold on, let me catch my breath from laughing. No. This is about Democrats not wanting to change the balance of the court and trying to delay until midterms. If it really was about concern, genuine concern, for Kavanaugh himself on the bench, Feinstein would have brought this up in closed session where they could have investigated and questioned while protecting anonymity. But no, she brought it up the day of the vote; further proof it was nothing but dirty politics. Flake was just too naive to not see through it.
Exactly right, except I think Flake knows very well what this is about. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him switch parties and then run as a Democrat in the 2020 primary. Or perhaps just as a democrat senator or governor. He’s toast as a Republican.

Old 09-30-2018, 10:58 PM

25,632 posts, read 56,816,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton Miteybad View Post
Meh...having Kavanaugh on the court would at least start the process of balancing out the leftist bias of Notorious RBG. She's demonstrates little in the way of impartial judicial temperament, and she's far from a tee-totaler as well. These issues weren't the subject of any particular level of focus during her confirmation hearings, as I recall.
Once again - the ACTUAL POINT IS NOT ADDRESSED IN YOUR COMMENT.

The issue is LYING about the drinking (not the drinking).

No JUSTICE ON THE SUPREME COURT should be appointed going in as a KNOWN LIAR.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 09-30-2018 at 11:18 PM..

Old 09-30-2018, 10:58 PM

32,398 posts, read 15,410,918 times
Quote:
Riiiggghhhttttt. That’s what this is. Hold on, let me catch my breath from laughing. No. This is about Democrats not wanting to change the balance of the court and trying to delay until midterms. If it really was about concern, genuine concern, for Kavanaugh himself on the bench, Feinstein would have brought this up in closed session where they could have investigated and questioned while protecting anonymity. But no, she brought it up the day of the vote; further proof it was nothing but dirty politics. Flake was just too naive to not see through it.
Why do you have a problem with the FBI investigating. Are you scared what they will find. Just let it be and stop complaining

Old 09-30-2018, 10:59 PM

14,321 posts, read 8,426,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Yes, it's exactly what I want on the bench given Democrats ruined his good name and perfect tract record in public service. You asked for it and you'll get it.
You can't ruin a good mans reputation and cause death threats against his family and expect him not to hold any kind of ill feelings towards you. If it turns out he's biased against Democrats, you deserve it and earned it. Live with it now.
There it is.

Kavanaugh is only human and having felt the full force of the left attempt to ruin his life I don't expect he'll be too sympathetic to their cases

Old 09-30-2018, 11:00 PM

10,180 posts, read 10,347,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
In tonight's NYT from a Yale classmate:

Excerpts:
This comports with a statement made by another Yale classmate, Lynne Brooke (by phone [says she's a Republican]) on Cuomo Thursday night, who said she and other Yale classmates were very disturbed at his portrayal of himself. A choirboy he wasn't - and the Yale people are ticked off that he is lying to the Senate about his Yale days. They all partied hard. Kavanaugh was no exception.
LOL! Did you watch Cuomo make a fool out of himself?

Isn't Lynne Brooks also the one who said she really didn't ever even know him?

How is he lying about his Yale days & who gives a **** - it has nothing to do with "I dunno Blasey-Ford" and her stupid.

Ford was sober (only had one beer)...and can't remember a thing other than "four were in the room", then it was "two" in the room but all was "indelible in THE hippocampus".

Made sure to say she didn't remember the layout of the house...so that's why she had to go upstairs, to pee & got bum rushed into an empty bedroom, across from the only bathroom in the house, and that bedroom had music playing in it when she arrived at the house...but she's not sure if she arrived to the party before or after Kav & Judge, yet she has stated that they had pre-gamed before they got there?

She also has no idea how she got to the party how she got home from the party & her BFF WON'T back her up.

Ford can't even remember what happened in August of 2018.

She has NO clue about anything.

But you liberal/dems keep going with that....

Old 09-30-2018, 11:02 PM

3,123 posts, read 1,347,388 times
Despite the remarks from the Yale classmates nothing can really be done. He did say he drank under oath and there is no documentable proof he blacked out despite the fact someone seems to think he did 40 years later.

Old 09-30-2018, 11:02 PM

8,725 posts, read 7,499,706 times
Quote:
Not to mention we are talking about the LAW - and our the top court in the land. There's a legal term for lying under oath - PERJURY.
Actually, it is lying willingly, and the bar usually is willingly with intent to mislead, and that is a high bar.

In this instance "drinking a lot" is highly subjective.

Old 09-30-2018, 11:05 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,111,593 times
Quote:
Not to mention we are talking about the LAW - and our the top court in the land. There's a legal term for lying under oath - PERJURY.
Actually per US Code, you left out a key element “which he does not believe to be true.” So other people’s opinions on his drinking actually have little merit - he already admitted drinking and even sometimes he said a bit too much. It’s just dog whistle stuff to you guys at this point. They’re not going to say he lied on this because he didn’t. You’re legit trying to discredit him on drinking too much in college on occasion. This describes many, actually most college students.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/1621

Old 09-30-2018, 11:05 PM

25,632 posts, read 56,816,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
We already have it. You think Ginsburg, Sotomayor and Kagan aren’t politically biased? Or Clarence Thomas and Gorsuch and Roberts? I think they get over the politics when they’re ruling on cases. It’s why lifetime appointments are crucial.
You think? Clarence Thomas and Scalia rarely put aside their biases. Thomas is a joke and contributes zero to the court. At least we do see from time to time Kagan and Sotomayer siding with the conservatives. Even Ginsburg.

But, after Thursdays tirade and rant, how can we be confident that Kavanaugh will put on his big boy pants and put aside his biases - when what we saw on Thursday was NAKED HATRED.

Nary a smidgen of his better self or judicial temperament on display. In fact, what we saw was his worst self. He FAILED miserably.

Friends of mine - Trumpers all the way - told me he'll really be sticking it to the Democrats. Even THEY saw the hatred and bias.

Old 09-30-2018, 11:07 PM

8,725 posts, read 7,499,706 times
Quote:
Actually per US Code, you left out a key element “which he does not believe to be true.” So other people’s opinions on his drinking actually have little merit - he already admitted drinking and even sometimes he said a bit too much. It’s just dog whistle stuff to you guys at this point. They’re not going to say he lied on this because he didn’t. You’re legit trying to discredit him on drinking too much in college on occasion. This describes many, actually most college students.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/1621
And this is why you will not even see the most rabid Democrat charge him with perjury, because it is a very high bar to prove.

Unlike what a lot of people think, perjury is not just plain ole lying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies