Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many votes will Brett Kavanaugh get for confirmation in the Senate?
61 or more 14 6.25%
58-60 7 3.13%
55-57 13 5.80%
50-54 144 64.29%
49 or less 46 20.54%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-01-2018, 11:16 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,097,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I thought I was going to bed but my husband called and has me up doing something that I have to wait on an email for so here I sit, lost in the 80s.

I miss Princess Diana.

Wow, that whole elite prep school thing really has got my mind turning. What a different world from the public high school I attended in Georgia.
It really is different in many ways. There was a kid who was expelled and he had to stay around another month because they couldn’t find his parents - they were traveling (note, this was boarding school). A good friend of mine went to boarding school starting in Kindergarten. Crazy.

Shoot, we used to get about a month for spring break and I remember being so pissed at my parents for not letting me go with my friends to the house they rented down in Mexico for the month - just themselves, no adults. We were 16. Weekends down in NYC by ourselves, parties at the Cape, skiing in Colorado over winter break, hiking in Patagonia - always on our own too. Different world in many ways. Was total culture shock for me at first coming from small town Georgia.

Old 10-01-2018, 11:17 PM

33,927 posts, read 12,999,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Ah, please remember those are your words as far as the description of Kavanaugh's behavior during the hearing. Personally, I think the man has every right to be angry and upset with this whole ordeal, especially if he truly didn't do these things he's being accused of. Now, if we were talking about Dr. Ford, I imagine you would see this behavior in a different light. If she were upset about the whole ordeal, or the questions being asked, she would be justified, because she has a right to be angry. The "weepiness" which you show contempt for coming from Kavanaugh would be seen as proof of her pain if the tears were coming from Dr. Ford. I'm sorry, but it seems as if bias is playing a part in your description of Kavanaugh's testimony, since at this point all we have are the words of 2 "credible" individuals. Both of these individual's words hold the same weight, yet so many have already tried and convicted this man, based on nothing more than their disdain for anything and anyone associated with Donald Trump or Republicans. And personally, I think a man who's willing to come out and fight and stand up for himself, and show his emotions instead of bottling them up inside, is just the sort of person we need as a Supreme Court Justice.
I agree with the bolded.

My father had many faults, but one of the things I appreciated about him was that he felt comfortable crying in front of me when talking about having to kill people on the front lines during wartime. And my dad was the polar opposite of a weak willed man lacking in masculinity. He was 6' 7", an ex-Golden Gloves boxer, and the physically toughest SOB I've ever known.

When I was somewhere between 6 and 8, the dog owned by our neighbor (at the end of the street...not next door) got it in 'his' head to do laps around our house and ruined some landscaping my mother had planted. That night, the father in the neighbor household got home before my dad did. My friend (the son of the father in the neighbor household) had done something that he didn't want his dad to think he did, so he lied and told his dad I did it. That dad came to our house, knocked on the door, and 'chewed my mother out'. My mother mentioned what the dog did (and the neighbor had the dog with him), and the neighbor dismissed what my mother was saying. When my dad got home, he was lived. He marched up the street, with my mother and I hurrying after him. My dad was 50% Irish. The neighbor dad was 100% Irish, and the second toughest SOB I've ever encountered, after my dad. They really got into it screaming at each other, and it took both wives and all of the kids standing between them to essentially keep them apart. This incident was a definite anomaly in my neighborhood...really a 'one off'. I grew up in one of the most affluent SF Bay Area suburbs.

Like Kavanaugh, my father had a Jesuit education (first grade through college in my father's case...he attended a public school Kindergarten).

I uncovered a tidbit that was interesting (to me) re my father's general perspective/POV after my mother died. When I was 6 or 7 we stopped socializing with a particular household within a very prominent Northern California family. It was just that one household. The other friendships between the families continued, as they had...literally...for over 100 years. I asked my mother...why the change? She told me it was because my father had gotten drunk at a cocktail party and had caused a scene. Fast forward almost 30 years, and I learned my mother had lied. I was going through her things after she died (my father predeceased my mother). I found a letter from the wife in that family (who had been a friend of my mother's for decades before the 'cut off'). After reading the letter, I knew that the abrupt cut off was initiated by my mother. She didn't like that the wife in that family had written to her that my dad had a much more realistic view of what marriage should be than my mother did.

Old 10-01-2018, 11:18 PM

21,596 posts, read 10,738,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
You're not doing Kavanaugh any favors by claiming he drank the liquor in the glass before throwing the ice at Dom C.
Why? Because drinking liquor in a bar during college is now the bar to a Supreme Court nomination now according to Democrats?

Old 10-01-2018, 11:21 PM

76 posts, read 25,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Why? Because drinking liquor in a bar during college is now the bar to a Supreme Court nomination now according to Democrats?
They have to keep lowering the bar, their entire strategy has failed so far. It's panic stations.

Old 10-01-2018, 11:22 PM

10,512 posts, read 5,231,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post

No. But lying about anything under oath is and should be the bar.

Old 10-01-2018, 11:24 PM

21,596 posts, read 10,738,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
you see more action in the parking lot of an Eagles/Cowboys game or any NFL game every week than this...this is a joke.

1985?????? St. Elmos Fire film came out,,.,,,the song "Man in Motion" song from the film was a hit.....damn!!! soooooo long ago.

and all you got on Kavanaugh is a police report from 1985 in a bar where he was questioned and nothing came about? LMAO!!!!

What's next Dems, you are going to check his daycare and Kinder days to see if he slapped another kid fighting for a toy? you are going to check his Kindergarten records also.....LMAO!!!
Ooh, maybe he bit someone in daycare.

Old 10-01-2018, 11:24 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,768,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
It really is different in many ways. There was a kid who was expelled and he had to stay around another month bestseller they couldn’t find his parents - they were traveling (note, this was boarding school). A good friend of mine went to boarding school starting in Kindergarten. Crazy.

Shoot, we used to get about a month for spring break and I remember being so pissed at my parents for not letting me go with my friends to the house they rented down in Mexico for the month - just themselves, no adults. We were 16. Weekends down in NYC by ourselves, parties at the Cape, skiing in Colorado over winter break, hiking in Patagonia - always on our own too. Different world in many ways. Was total culture shock for me at first coming from small town Georgia.
I guess so!

I grew up comfortably middle class but since our local high school was small, I think my parents felt that it was an OK environment, though I'd gone to private school in junior high when we lived in a larger city. My parents built a house out in the country when I was going into the 10th grade so I ended up in public school.

I was a former military brat also, so I wasn't used to rural Georgia either, let me tell you! I will never forget a kid saying, "Oh, you're from THE NORTH," when I told them we'd moved from North Carolina. I didn't even bother telling him that we'd also lived in California and Japan, among the more exotic locales! His head would have exploded most likely.

So yes, rural small town Georgia was a totally different world. I remember that just a year or two before, I had dressed up AS A JOKE at school for some costume thing, in jeans and a flannel shirt - and suddenly I looked around and realized that, hey, that wasn't a costume anymore. Like, girls and guys were both wearing jeans and flannel shirts like it was cool or something. All I wanted was a lot of Add A Beads and an Izod shirt!

Everything's beautiful...till you hear the banjos...

Old 10-01-2018, 11:25 PM

76 posts, read 25,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
No. But lying about anything under oath is and should be the bar.
I agree with you. State your claim of a lie, and then prove it. No one has done it yet. You will be a star of the left.

Old 10-01-2018, 11:27 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,103,890 times
Quote:
Hey, I went to a small rural high school! And we did party when we could get away with it. But what struck me was the descriptions in Ford's yearbook about students being left alone for a MONTH sometimes, throwing party after party - with money and groceries and all that - probably a maid and landscaper and some credit cards to boot - while the parents jet setted off somewhere.

The fact that the yearbook is full of descriptions of sexual activities, photos of drinking, etc. and the parents paid for these yearbooks by buying ad space also really struck me. I guess what I'm saying is that when we partied, we actually did try to hide this from our parents rather than fill our yearbooks with photos and vivid descriptions of said parties.

My yearbooks don't resemble Ford's yearbooks at all. Except for the big hair.
Me too. Most of the parties ended around 1AM and often a parent was somewhere in the house. Sometimes we’d stay overnight. We’d walk home in the morning after breakfast or our parents would pick us up. We’d be outside or down in big finished basements. Not every weekend, just didn’t happen.

Old 10-01-2018, 11:27 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,325,380 times
Quote:
Oh my gosh, he threw ice at someone when he was 19 years old? SAY IT AIN'T SO!

You guys are really going to have to do better than this.

yeah, I hit a guy with a baseball on the arm during a baseball game in 1985.....maybe I meant to hit him maybe not.

I guess I could never run for office or be in the S.C.....I guess I have a bad temper....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.