Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 05:15 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,207,141 times

Advertisements

Although not naïve about this issue, the numbers are still shocking
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2018, 05:17 AM

34,232 posts, read 18,590,367 times
I grew up Catholic, but did not attend Catholic school (until college) so I did not witness this utter travesty. These priests, their leadership, and the Catholic church needs to be PUNISHED. Remove their tax free status for starters. Hurt them where they care the most. MONEY!

Old 08-15-2018, 05:30 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,402,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Doctrine of the RC Church is that since Jesus was celibate.... There is more to it than that, but this should help: How did celibacy become mandatory for priests?

Being as all this may RC priests or other religious do not have nor have had a lock on abuse (physical or mental) of children.

Horrible things happened to children placed in Protestant workhouses, orphanages and even houses of worship or whatever. No organized religion is totally without fault in this, now or in past.

James Dean (allegedly) was molested as a pre-teen by the family (Methodist) minister.
https://www.biography.com/news/james...hildhood-facts

Here in New York and elsewhere rabbis and others connected with Orthodox Hasidic Jewish schools, synagogues or whatever have been accused and or convicted of molesting children.

And so it goes....

Children and teens now and certainly in past had very few if any rights. Those making accusations of a "disgusting" nature against adults, especially those with power and or authority were simply dismissed as lying. Which is exactly what abusers of women, children and teens tell them. "Who is going to believe *YOU*?

Doctors, priests, men of the cloth, politicians, businessmen, the lot; even right down to a child's own father.

Marilyn Monroe was raped as a older child by one of boarders in a foster home she was sent (the woman who was fostering also took in lodgers). The foster mother didn't believe MM and told her she was a lying.....

Finally marriage (happy or otherwise) is no sure way to prevent child molestation. Men have in past as they do now abuse their own daughters and sons, sadly often with the wife (mother of child or children) having full knowledge.

In book "Color Purple" the young Ceely is repeatedly raped by her step-father, and made pregnant twice. The movie doesn't mention this but in the book Ceely's mother knew very well what her husband was doing. For that matter so did the rest of that Negro town and their church.

Later in book/film we lean rape of young girls (even children) was common in that community by their fathers, brothers and anyone else. This revelation comes from Sofia and her famous "all my life I've had to fight....". speech.

UK shipped off nearly 200k children post WWII to Australia (often after having lied to both the children and or their parents), where they were turned over to various "charitable" institutions or persons both religious and secular. Mental, physical and or sexual abuse promptly began and went on for decades. https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-39078652
Please don't justify this giant abusive mess that goes on in the catholic church by
telling us other people are just as bad. We are talking thousands of kids , in just one state , wonder what
shows up were they to go from state to state?

When 300 Rabbis from one state gets called out in one day then you can come with this
excuse.

Old 08-15-2018, 06:03 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
My ex wife had a cousin who was sort of the joke of the family. He wore dresses sometimes, and played with dolls. He went into the Seminary and eventually became a Priest. We used to say that the alter boys had better watch out. He lives in Pa, and I wonder if he is one of the ones caught up in this latest scandal.

I would not be surprised.

Old 08-15-2018, 06:26 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,700,933 times
Like everything in this life, the motives are nearly always the same: money.

The Catholic Church systemically covered up these issues so as to not lose the support of parishioners - they need them to show up and put money in that basket every Sunday. They'd have a hard time if the congregation is aware of what Father Rapist is doing. The Church knew this was going on and did nothing. Why? Keep that money coming in.

I won't blame the faith itself, but I will blame those that are benefiting from pushing that faith on people. If religious leaders actually followed the tenets of their own religion, s**t like this doesn't happen. However, some parishioners of these congregations likely had a good idea of what was going on but they simply accepted the explanations of the pastor or bishop with blind faith... because... well... you know... that's all religion is anyway - blind faith.

Old 08-15-2018, 06:48 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
Like everything in this life, the motives are nearly always the same: money.

The Catholic Church systemically covered up these issues so as to not lose the support of parishioners - they need them to show up and put money in that basket every Sunday. They'd have a hard time if the congregation is aware of what Father Rapist is doing. The Church knew this was going on and did nothing. Why? Keep that money coming in.

I won't blame the faith itself, but I will blame those that are benefiting from pushing that faith on people. If religious leaders actually followed the tenets of their own religion, s**t like this doesn't happen. However, some parishioners of these congregations likely had a good idea of what was going on but they simply accepted the explanations of the pastor or bishop with blind faith... because... well... you know... that's all religion is anyway - blind faith.
Well if the church truly preached Gods laws and encouraged their parish to follow that law, cities would be fighting to keep churches out of their jurisdictions! They would be hated and despised, just like they were in the time of Jesus.

Ultimately someone cannot be a good, model secular citizen and a faithful christian/ catholic at the same time, its just not possible, too much conflict.

Old 08-15-2018, 07:03 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,651,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
If the Catholic Church would let priests marry, that would go a long way to stopping this abhorrent behavior.
I agree.

It's natural for people to want to have sex. That's the way god made us!

The church stating that Jesus was celibate so priests should also be celibate is just a cover story.

In the early organized church, only sons of the wealthy were deemed to be worthy of becoming priests. That's so any inheritance they had coming went directly to the church. That's one of the ways they built the wealth they have today. That had nothing to do with how Jesus lived his life.

As a matter of fact, there is more evidence being discovered that he was actually married to Mary Magdalene.

Now, if someone CHOOSES to be celibate for any reason, that is their right and I wouldn't think they were strange or weird.

BTW, I was raised catholic and have been celibate for 30 years (since age 36). That was my choice.

Old 08-15-2018, 07:07 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
I agree.

It's natural for people to want to have sex. That's the way god made us!

The church stating that Jesus was celibate so priests should also be celibate is just a cover story.

In the early organized church, only sons of the wealthy were deemed to be worthy of becoming priests. That's so any inheritance they had coming went directly to the church. That's one of the ways they built the wealth they have today. That had nothing to do with how Jesus lived his life.

As a matter of fact, there is more evidence being discovered that he was actually married to Mary Magdalene.

Now, if someone CHOOSES to be celibate for any reason, that is their right and I wouldn't think they were strange or weird.

BTW, I was raised catholic and have been celibate for 30 years (since age 36). That was my choice.
That doesnt make sense though, they cannot marry, so they turn to young children?

If what you were saying was true, i think we would see lots of priests secretly dating or having sexual relationships with adult females, that would be the most likely thing to result from someone being forced to be celibate.

Im curious how many priests are doing this, compared with those that turn to young kids, not sure if this has ever been looked at.

Old 08-15-2018, 07:20 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,825,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Church does not hire normal people much, so the tradeoff does not exist. Simply put, people like to bring it up as it is not comfortable to state the church hires a disproportionate percentage of sick puppies, but that is the root cause.

In one Pa family, 5 girls were sexually assaulted by priests.

The pervs are like rapists-they like the power most, I suspect.

Solution is keep kids away from folks wearing RCC collars.
The RCC should be shut down in the US for being a money collecting, tax exempt, pedophile ring!

Old 08-15-2018, 07:29 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Why can't they just be allowed to be like normal people, meet a nice woman, get married, and raise a family like most male clergy in any other religion? I've never understood this. Can anyone explain? Is boinking little boys honestly a worthwhile trade off for the church to keep dealing with? They're human. They will find a way to get off one way or another. Seems like this would be a common sense change in church dogma, but I guess not.
Would only help a little. Power is the main drug here.....it's like asking why our POTUS had to grab so much when he had three wives....

It might tamp it down from 40% to 25%, but the institution itself is the problem. Anytime ANYONE is held to be "better or closer to the power (God or whoever)", it sets up a situation of abuse.

Only true equality can fix these things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies