Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 05:15 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,752,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The Constitution consists of more than just the second amendment. The right to own a gun can clearly be infringed or those in prison would have a right to a gun.
Even Scalia agreed some restrictions are constitutional.

Old 08-01-2018, 07:21 AM

10,260 posts, read 6,354,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Many mentally ill people are responsible gun owners. I believe a quarter to a third of all adults have had some type of mental illness in their lifetime.you have to watch the slippery slope here.
Different states, difference laws concerning mental illness and guns. My daughter was diagnosed BioPolar about 15 years ago in NYS. The hospital and her doctor had to report it. As such, she cannot own a gun in NYS.

She lived in Florida for a while after. Different law (loophole?) there. A person has to be adjudicated mentally ill in Florida to be banned from owning a gun. My daughter voluntarily sought treatment for herself. So she could own a gun while living in Florida? My husband looked this up, not me, or her. Was he wrong? He wanted to take her with him to the range. She had a laugh over this. Dad, let's go to a Spring Training game instead. Mom agreed with her.:

Old 08-01-2018, 07:27 AM

8,885 posts, read 4,610,258 times
I'm okay with taking away their guns as long as you also take away their right to vote. Too crazy to carry, too crazy to vote.

Old 08-01-2018, 08:51 AM

18,743 posts, read 7,646,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
I'm okay with taking away their guns as long as you also take away their right to vote. Too crazy to carry, too crazy to vote.
And take away their Constitutional protection against being slaves, while you're in the business of removing people's constitutional rights.

The 2nd says the right of the people to KBA shall not be infringed, and even gives a reason. And makes no exceptions.

About the only way around that, is to declare that the subject is not "people", he is "property". And therefore, he has none of the God-given rights the rest of us do.

The Democrats keep claiming that the 2nd has "exceptions", even though if you read the Constitution it clearly has none. Why not make the same claim about the 13th amendment too?

Democrats have a long history (hundreds of years) of doing this to whatever people they aren't in favor of this week. Used to be blacks, until the Civil War beat that out of them. Now maybe they should make the declaration, not about black people, but about whichever gun owners they don't like. Then they can claim they are obeying the 2nd amendment at last, in line with their long-held convictions.

Old 08-01-2018, 10:13 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,510,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
And take away their Constitutional protection against being slaves, while you're in the business of removing people's constitutional rights.

The 2nd says the right of the people to KBA shall not be infringed, and even gives a reason. And makes no exceptions.

About the only way around that, is to declare that the subject is not "people", he is "property". And therefore, he has none of the God-given rights the rest of us do.

The Democrats keep claiming that the 2nd has "exceptions", even though if you read the Constitution it clearly has none. Why not make the same claim about the 13th amendment too?

Democrats have a long history (hundreds of years) of doing this to whatever people they aren't in favor of this week. Used to be blacks, until the Civil War beat that out of them. Now maybe they should make the declaration, not about black people, but about whichever gun owners they don't like. Then they can claim they are obeying the 2nd amendment at last, in line with their long-held convictions.
The fear that which they can not control.

They have no legitimate concern for others life or well being.
They go on exploiting tragedy to further their agenda.

If they were concerned with say... school shootings for example.
Why on earth, when I was a kid, would they have voted on a bill to remove the right to keep and bear arms from school grounds!?
Is it to use the statistics and inflammatory reporting of the tragedies to further their agenda in swaying public opinion? I believe so.

If my kids were to get gunned down in a school.

I'm going for the politicians who signed that bill into law and suing to get it repealed for it created an incentive for the violent and deranged to descend into a gun free zones full of unprotected innocent lives.

I would Also slap all media with a gag order. I don't want my kids ending to be published for an anti gun agenda. Nor to serve as a motivator for other future heinous and sick individuals to serve as a study guide to where they can improve.

If it was due to anything enabling the event like the promise program protecting a violent or deranged individual... I'd go after those that enacted said program and Sue to end a yet another motivator.

Then I would focus on the individual(s) that orchestrated the heinous demise for their intent. What was their intent other than to extinguish life?
Were they bullied/ostracized?
Were they genuinely psychotic?
Were they enabled by someone else?
What failed to prevent the heinous atrocity other than no armed deterrence being present on school grounds to thwart the threat the moment it started? Were the individuals adjudicated mentally defective? Did they have a past that would have prevented them from legally obtaining firearms? Were they on SSRI medication that causes suicidal/homicidal ideation or any medicine that causes irrational thoughts and actions as a known side effect?

I would want the specifics that motivated, the incentives that existed, what caused the intentions to do harm and any program, rule, law that enabled it to be gutted immediately!

I would not want my grief my tragedy exploited in vain to violate the rights of millions. I would want specifics to be able to identify the exact problem and address it proactively not arbitrarily through further firearm regulation.

Motive.
Incentive.
Intent.
We've seen just how concerned they really are by feebly focusing on the implement and not the act, nor the actors.

That's why in Chicago right now people are calling for Rham Emmanuel to resign. Years of ineptitude and a lack of concern to address problems have led to the citizens of Chicago to call for Rhams resignation.
That figure focused on the implement. Not the actions. Not the motives. Not the incentives. Nor the intent.

Focus here on the implement. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Old 08-01-2018, 10:17 AM

12,688 posts, read 6,756,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I can only imagine if this was done under Obama or Dem governor, but no, this gun-grab is GOP all the way.

More than 450 people in Florida ordered to give up guns under new law, report says | Fox News

Hundreds of gun owners in Florida have been ordered to give up their guns under a new law that took effect after the deadly Parkland shooting in February, according to a report published Monday.

"Around 30,000 rounds of ammunition" were also taken, he said.
As I care very little for the Republican Party, the whole "what about ism" means nothing to me. Just further proof that the GOP and Dems are equally useless and both extremely hypocritical. If the folks who lost their guns take this to the Supreme Court, odds are they'll win and Florida's new gun laws will be scrapped.

Old 08-01-2018, 10:21 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,661,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
Good to know those 450 Floridians won't have access to the third of a billion firearms in the United States.
Sure they will, all they have to do is buy one in a private sale, where there is no paperwork or checks made. There are 100s of 1000s of guns for sale privately around here, Im assuming FL is no different.

Old 08-01-2018, 10:28 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,327,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
As I care very little for the Republican Party, the whole "what about ism" means nothing to me. Just further proof that the GOP and Dems are equally useless and both extremely hypocritical. If the folks who lost their guns take this to the Supreme Court, odds are they'll win and Florida's new gun laws will be scrapped.
There is a distinction to be made between the right to remove an individuals rights through due process and a law that tries to remove rights in a group manner. One will be upheld and the other will not. I have no idea what this particular law even does other than remove rights from adults which I hope a lawsuit also prevails against.

Old 08-01-2018, 11:18 AM

45,290 posts, read 26,541,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Even Scalia agreed some restrictions are constitutional.
Another reason why one shouldnt look to robe wearing politicians to approve of their rights.

Old 08-01-2018, 11:18 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,510,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
There is a distinction to be made between the right to remove an individuals rights through due process and a law that tries to remove rights in a group manner. One will be upheld and the other will not. I have no idea what this particular law even does other than remove rights from adults which I hope a lawsuit also prevails against.
They made forfeiture much looser, I wouldn't say "easier" that doesn't seem entirely apropriate.
They made it looser by making it acceptable that if say you "feel" threatened you have grounds to see to it someone's rights are violated.

As I said before. I know someone going through with a lawsuit and it was all because of a busy body neighbor who happened to see them handling a rifle in their home through a window and suspected them of nefarious intentions. Despite they proved to the officer with a receipt they had returned from a shooting range and were cleaning their rifle. They still through a court order via judge, and this new law, had to forfeit their firearms. Not just the rifle, their pistols, their shotguns and the 2 other rifles they had. They have 1 year and the onus is upon them to prove to the judge they are not a threat to themselves or to anyone else.

Lovely right?
When you endorse people to feel, rather than think, this is what you get. Feelings are subjective. You may never satisfy ones emotions no matter how hard you try. Thoughts and logic and thinking critically and logically on the other hand...

Basically, if you were cleaning your firearm and you lived next door to this poster and they walked by looking into your home
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
That is the problem here. It isn't like we know the intent for an item afterwards, we know it before it is a problem.
They would have a case against you to own firearms. Based on their incessant fear of unknown intent, seeing you handling a firearm, in a non menacing fashion.
For they are assuming intent before a real crime is committed.

And an utter lack of understanding of the constitution to reinforce incessant irrelevant emotional arguments to violate your rights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
The issue here is we can lock Pandora's Box up right now and people fear that claiming their rights. Well, what about MY right to not get shot by someone who has access to guns that shouldn't have access to guns. Your rights end, where mine begin.
Notice how they can rationalize irrelevant fear?

Their rights however, end at your driveway. Their rights end where your privacy begins. This new law in Florida is being fought in case by case issues so far primarily as being baseless and loosely open to violate 2nd 4th and 5th amendment rights.
The person I know is fighting it on grounds of privacy for they did not threaten nor show any signs of being menacing.
That it took someone being nosy to walk by and peer into their window to see them walk to the table with a rifle in their hand. I can't speak too much more or go that much further into detail other than what they have been advised by their attorney to say about the subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.