Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 09:24 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Nobody is in favor of having guns in the hands of the mentally ill, least of all the NRA or GOP.

The devil is always in the details. If someone is denied a gun because he was suicidal 30 years ago over a bad breakup...nix on that. If he's diagnosed schizophrenic or on SSRIs, then by all means take his guns.
Many mentally ill people are responsible gun owners. I believe a quarter to a third of all adults have had some type of mental illness in their lifetime.you have to watch the slippery slope here.

Old 07-31-2018, 09:53 AM

78,334 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Governor Scott is running for Senate, so NRA will support him the best they can, so they wont be talking about this too long.
They'll rank him vs. the other republicans running and then eventually the democratic rival if it comes to that.

If he gets the nod over the democrat from the NRA is because of a direct comparison on guns and not party....but that infrequently occurs due to the parties platforms on such things.

Old 07-31-2018, 09:59 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
They'll rank him vs. the other republicans running and then eventually the democratic rival if it comes to that.

If he gets the nod over the democrat from the NRA is because of a direct comparison on guns and not party....but that infrequently occurs due to the parties platforms on such things.
The GOP challenger is Rocky, who ran as a Democrat in 2016. I doubt NRA will support him, so his real opponent is Nelson (D)

Old 07-31-2018, 11:17 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
What were your charges?

Are you like those anti gun reporters who tried to buy a firearm and were denied for disqualifying charges?

If serious enough FDLE/NICS will tell a retailer to deny, if questionable, they will tell a retailer to hold upon further reveiw. If in 3 days they say deny, you can't purchase. It is also at the discretion of the retailer, and I do not know of a single retailer who will proceed with a transfer if after 3 days no update. They can refund the money and deny you as they see fit.

Don't say gun show. I have yet to attend a single gun show in Florida that a seller did not perform a background check on the sale of a firearm. You can try a face to face private sale, many people require a bill of sale and a concealed carry permit for they don't have a clue as to who they are selling to. Want to buy a firearm from me? We can meet up at a pawn shop or gun store and do a transfer. You've already confessed to an arrest record so I wouldn't even entertain the idea of selling to you. Looks like you are SOL
Ive never heard of private sellers selling like that! I sold some guns for an older friend years ago, before he was going into a nursing home, I posted them on a local online classified site, a guy called, he came and looked at them, an agreement was reached on price, he paid in cash and was out the door, I never even knew his last name. My friend did ask if the guy wanted a receipt, but he didnt.

3 of the handguns my friend sold, he had received in trades many years earlier, someone offered him these guns as trade on a pickup truck he was selling, he took the offer, no paperwork or receipt ever existed.

There are 100s of 1000s of private sales just like this, its the same thing as selling a used weed eater!

Old 07-31-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Ive never heard of private sellers selling like that! I sold some guns for an older friend years ago, before he was going into a nursing home, I posted them on a local online classified site, a guy called, he came and looked at them, an agreement was reached on price, he paid in cash and was out the door, I never even knew his last name. My friend did ask if the guy wanted a receipt, but he didnt.

3 of the handguns my friend sold, he had received in trades many years earlier, someone offered him these guns as trade on a pickup truck he was selling, he took the offer, no paperwork or receipt ever existed.

There are 100s of 1000s of private sales just like this, its the same thing as selling a used weed eater!
Yes, very few insist on making more difficult to complete the sale, when it is perfectly legal to just sell them.

Old 07-31-2018, 12:51 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz
Nobody is in favor of having guns in the hands of the mentally ill, least of all the NRA or GOP.

Quote:
Actually NRA is suing Florida over this law.

You should have quoted the entire post. As I said, the devil is in the details with this kind of law. If the law is carefully drafted such that non-mentally-ill are not swept into the net, I can guarantee the NRA would not oppose it. You know it was the NRA that got the NICS check passed into law?

Part of the problem is the bankruptcy of the psychology/psychiatry industry. Did you see the thread where a psychologist is actually treating patients for 'Trump anxiety disorder' or some such thing? Are they going to deny a gun purchase based on Trump anxiety? Devil is in the details.

Old 07-31-2018, 02:17 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
I can only imagine if this was done under Obama or Dem governor, but no, this gun-grab is GOP all the way.
I don't have an issue with it.

The Framers of the Constitution never intended for the mentally ill or criminals to have weapons.

Historically, the mentally ill were never permitted in militias, and if they were discovered, they were discharged.

Under the Florida law, having a judge hear the petition gives rise to Due Process, so no one's constitutional rights are violated.

Anyone with a conviction for domestic violence should also be barred from owning any fire-arms. That would drastically reduce the number of fire-arm deaths related to domestic violence.

Old 07-31-2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Many mentally ill people are responsible gun owners. I believe a quarter to a third of all adults have had some type of mental illness in their lifetime.you have to watch the slippery slope here.
That's because the psychiatry/psychology industry has wrongly defined mental illness. When I was a kid homosexuality was listed as a disorder in the official diagnostic manual. Now, homophobia is.

Old 07-31-2018, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

Anyone with a conviction for domestic violence should also be barred from owning any fire-arms. That would drastically reduce the number of fire-arm deaths related to domestic violence.
This has been the case under federal law since 1997 (the 'Lautenberg Amendment').

Old 07-31-2018, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
I don't have an issue with it.

The Framers of the Constitution never intended for the mentally ill or criminals to have weapons.

Historically, the mentally ill were never permitted in militias, and if they were discovered, they were discharged.
That has been my argument. The 'well regulated' means well functioning, which means no crazy people, no criminals, no chronic drunks, no junkies, no children, and no people who are incapable of safely operating a firearm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies