Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 08:09 AM

79,266 posts, read 61,361,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Problem is they are ending up taxing many middle class Americans to subsidize the poor. Having a home where rental exceeds $200,000 a year is not upscale as apts are expensive out there.

I have friends who live out there and even with the husband's good salary - they are starting to come up short due to the increases in property tax and the taxes.
I *had* friends out there in that boat....they moved and live a much better life these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2018, 08:12 AM

The key will be if this tax increase is going to run into price caps on rents or if it will just be passed on to renters.

If so, the irony is that Oakland is going after renters to pay for the homeless but NOT homeowners.

Sounds like a political dodge where they hope the voters won't get mad because they're hiding the tax indirectly and only on part of the population (generally the poorer)

Old 07-18-2018, 08:24 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,603,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Problem is they are ending up taxing many middle class Americans to subsidize the poor. Having a home where rental exceeds $200,000 a year is not upscale as apts are expensive out there. I have friends who live out there and even with the husband's good salary - they are starting to come up short due to the increases in property tax and the taxes.
Really, do tell when did they do away with prop 13 in California and raise everyone's property tax?

Old 07-18-2018, 08:27 AM

89,677 posts, read 45,338,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The key will be if this tax increase is going to run into price caps on rents or if it will just be passed on to renters.

If so, the irony is that Oakland is going after renters to pay for the homeless but NOT homeowners.

Sounds like a political dodge where they hope the voters won't get mad because they're hiding the tax indirectly and only on part of the population (generally the poorer)
Excellent point. It's a tax on stupidity. Let's see if Oakland renters are dumb enough to buy into it.

Old 07-18-2018, 08:33 AM

369 posts, read 329,091 times
Throwing money at a problem garnered via redistribution of shrinking wealth adds more people to the sinking ship.
Once they are in free housing they will need volunteers to maintain the trashed property and patch the holes in the drywall, additional law enforcement to respond to crimes against each other. Seen it happen over and over.
Oh, and they need subsidized solar panels because the can't afford the juice. On the other hand it will be another location to score drugs.
Like I've said b4., confiscate BLM land and put em on the new Rez.

Old 07-18-2018, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Excellent point. It's a tax on stupidity. Let's see if Oakland renters are dumb enough to buy into it.
Yep, it's an indirect regressive tax aimed at the less affluent people in Oakland.

People that rent in Oakland should be extremely upset by this but the politicians there will claim it's just a tax on the landlords LMFAO. (these are called "smooth lies" because it's sorta truthful on the surface but not in reality.)

Old 07-18-2018, 08:34 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,215,458 times
My only experience with Oakland is a summer working there a couple years ago, but I did talk to people that have lived there for decades. The rent increases came very fast, and were not the result of tax increases, but gentrification mostly. Not that they were happy about their tax burden. Far from it. However, a two bedroom with a view of a homeless encampment was going for 3k a month because it was near the ferry to SF.

My Uber driver said it was humiliating paying $1500 a month to share a bathroom with a roommate at age 40. Uber driving was to supplement his wages at his day job.

Old 07-18-2018, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
My only experience with Oakland is a summer working there a couple years ago, but I did talk to people that have lived there for decades. The rent increases came very fast, and were not the result of tax increases, but gentrification mostly. Not that they were happy about their tax burden. Far from it. However, a two bedroom with a view of a homeless encampment was going for 3k a month because it was near the ferry to SF.

My Uber driver said it was humiliating paying $1500 a month to share a bathroom with a roommate at age 40. Uber driving was to supplement his wages at his day job.
Yeah, I've heard tons of stories like that. Makes me chuckle every time someone mocks "fly over country" and I think of my 15 minute commute my old mortgage on a nice house that was less than he's paying in rent, good public schools....yep...poor me stuck in fly over country.

Old 07-18-2018, 08:46 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,215,458 times
Quote:
Yeah, I've heard tons of stories like that. Makes me chuckle every time someone mocks "fly over country" and I think of my 15 minute commute my old mortgage on a nice house that was less than he's paying in rent, good public schools....yep...poor me stuck in fly over country.
The problem with those communities is the lack of jobs. I live in the third circle of hell, but I have a remote job now, and might find someplace with some trees.

Old 07-18-2018, 08:51 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,595,595 times
Quote:
Yeah , some people act like CA is the only place they can live ... literally .
Like if they cross the border to live in another state they’ll combust

Also even within CA there are pretty affordable places like Sacramento and the Central Valley .
Yet people snub their nose up at those areas .

A lot of cities in the Midwest and elsewhere have been improving their downtown areas and investing in their cities and many of these places have actually become pretty hip but word doesn’t seem to have gotten over to CA ..

$1500 or a lot less could buy you a nice house or condo in these cities where you are actually putting money towards something . Paying $1500 to share a bathroom with a roommate and have to work around the clock just to pay for it seems nuts .

But he gets to brag he lives in a “cool” place like Oakland ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies