Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 07:53 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,682,758 times

Advertisements

I don't smoke but, whose taxes this guy hasn't raised? He has raised everyones taxes more than any other president in history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 07:55 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,184,327 times
What is Barry going to do when everyone finally gives up smoking? What an idiot. Smoking has absolutely nothing to do with pre-school. I never went to pre-school or kindergarten. These are a waste of time and money. I was enrolled into first grade in 1969 and I did fine.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:57 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,256,579 times
I am cool with that, and Spaten, it would be even better if everyone gave up smoking, but we both know that will never happen. Smokers will continue to whine while flushing away their money on more cigarettes.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:06 AM

9,884 posts, read 11,005,752 times
Sorry, no, it certainly IS a matter of diminishing returns. This is one smoker (40 years, pack and a half per day) that quit cold turkey when the STATE put a $1 per pack tax on cigarettes to pay for The Children's Health Insurance Program (Why is it that these taxes are always "For The Children"?).
At that time, I finished the cigs I had on hand, and have never bought another pack since.
obama and his cohorts are dumb enough to think that adding another $10 to a carton of cigarettes, when a carton already exceed $100 in some states, won't result in a decline of smokers?
It makes me wonder what HE is smoking!

Old 04-11-2013, 08:10 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,256,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Sorry, no, it certainly IS a matter of diminishing returns. This is one smoker (40 years, pack and a half per day) that quit cold turkey when the STATE put a $1 per pack tax on cigarettes to pay for The Children's Health Insurance Program (Why is it that these taxes are always "For The Children"?).
At that time, I finished the cigs I had on hand, and have never bought another pack since.
obama and his cohorts are dumb enough to think that adding another $10 to a carton of cigarettes, when a carton already exceed $100 in some states, won't result in a decline of smokers?
It makes me wonder what HE is smoking!
Good for you, giving up smoking is a great choice and if this tax causes more people to quit smoking, then good for them too.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:12 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,700,600 times
I went to vaping when the idiotic POTUS signed SCHIP.

Silly little foolish man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I am cool with that, and Spaten, it would be even better if everyone gave up smoking, but we both know that will never happen. Smokers will continue to whine while flushing away their money on more cigarettes.
And that, my friend, is none of your business.

I probably laugh and point fingers at some of the useless crap you buy, too.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:17 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,844,475 times
Don't smokers pay enough? I don't smoke but this is getting silly.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:18 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,411,566 times
I'm fine with this, but I would be more in favor of legalizing and taxing the hell out of marijuana.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:20 AM

355 posts, read 870,287 times
I would rather see this money go towards nationwide infrastructure improvement to fix crumbling roads and bridges. Preschool is a waste of resources because it's basically just a daycare where kids play all day. They can do that at home and not on the taxpayers dime! If parents want their kids in daycare that's fine too, but they can pay for it themselves like it is now.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:20 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,623,740 times
MORE taxes on cigarettes? Aren't they taxed enough already?

A cigarette tax is the most regressive tax we have, as it directly effects those at the lower end of the income scale far more than it does higher income earners. Not only are lower income earners more likely to smoke, the tax effects them far more than it does someone in a higher income bracket:

It's a legal, albeit unhealthy, vice enjoyed by millions of Americans, and it's accessibility is being reduced by continually increasing taxes. It's a forced modification to behavior the Government desires, and rather that make something illegal they just increase taxes to make it harder for people to afford.

People should be allowed to make these choices for themselves, and if they end up with lung cancer, that was their decision. I have no skin in this game, as I've always been a non-smoker, but we should all oppose actions that aim to reduce anyone's personal freedom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies