Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 07:07 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,245,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
There are no “national interests,” only property rights. Any use of private land without explicit consent of that property owner is outright theft and may be prevented by any means necessary, up to and including deadly force.

Selfishness is a virtue.

Take away eminent domain and governments might decide to take away the whole concept of private property. You think Kim Jong Un struggles with this issue when he needs land for a missile site?

And when it comes to deadly force, the government will have immensely more guns and ammo than you. Maybe you should have a (spiritual) talk with David Koresh about that.

We live in societies and the best interests of society must be weighed against the best interests of the individual. What's the harm to society to have a gap in the wall versus what's the harm to a landowner to sell a small parcel of land?

If you want to be an island unto yourself, fine. You're confined to your little piece of land, not allowed to use society's roads, utilities, services, etc. We'll build the wall around the northern boundary of your land. And when we announce you are no longer protected under the umbrella of US military and law enforcement, don't be surprised when Mexico or it's cartels decide to "come take it" from you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2018, 07:09 AM

45,249 posts, read 26,493,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
People carp about the cost of the wall, which is an estimated $25 billion, along with a fraction of that to maintain the wall on a yearly basis. Yet, the illegals cost the taxpayers almost $140 billion every year, and that cost will continue to go up if we don't do something about the illegal problem.

A one time cost of about $25 billion versus a yearly cost of about $140 billion -- seems like a no brainer, build the wall and save money

The wall along with e-verify, stopping the freebies, ending birthright citizenship or reform the 14th Amendment, where someone can't just waltz into this country and pop out a citizen baby, and, create a task force to go after ID thieves since a large number of illegals do use the ssn's of citizens to get freebies, income tax returns, etc.
Whats entitlement spending up to now a days about $2.5 trillion? good ole American born citizens are bankrupting us plenty. I have no problem with anyone coming here to work.
I can only laugh at the conservatives on here championing the theft of private property and creating another boondoggle that will need to be funded into perpetuity.

Old 07-09-2018, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I don't care about the wall. I don't think it will do much since many take airplanes here but I do find it amusing that the same people that are so eager to take health care away from sick people have no problem spending endless billions on a wall. All we heard was deficit, yet boom they blow $1.5 Trillion within months, then want billions for a wall. Build the wall but never again tell us we can't afford health coverage for the entire country. We apparently can afford anything.

And I find it amusing that some people think spending $25 billion on a wall is a waste when we spend $100 billion/year on services to illegals.

I also find it amusing that one cannot comprehend the vast difference in scale between a $25 billion project and $3 TRILLION per year health care. To conclude that if we can afford the one then we can afford the other is the height of mathematic illiteracy.

Old 07-09-2018, 07:14 AM

8,750 posts, read 3,126,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Securing our border isn't in the national interest? What good would your land be if terrorists enter your property via our southern border and destroy you and millions of other American lives? Where the hell are your priorities? Selfishness is a virtue?

And yes, the good walls erected on shorter sections of the border have been a huge deterrent. They haven't been a waste of time or money.
I don't believe in imaginary government borders, only property borders contractually agreed upon by consenting parties.

My only priorities are property rights and non-aggression.

Selfishness IS a virtue. Prove otherwise.

Walls may be a deterrent, but they are still a waste of money, as taxation is theft.

Old 07-09-2018, 07:20 AM

8,750 posts, read 3,126,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Take away eminent domain and governments might decide to take away the whole concept of private property. You think Kim Jong Un struggles with this issue when he needs land for a missile site?
Governments can't take away anything, especially private property, as government itself is a fiction and has no rights.

Quote:
And when it comes to deadly force, the government will have immensely more guns and ammo than you. Maybe you should have a (spiritual) talk with David Koresh about that.
Not necessarily. Individuals should be able to own every weapon the government has, including nukes.

Quote:
We live in societies and the best interests of society must be weighed against the best interests of the individual. What's the harm to society to have a gap in the wall versus what's the harm to a landowner to sell a small parcel of land?
Leftist garbage.

Quote:
If you want to be an island unto yourself, fine. You're confined to your little piece of land, not allowed to use society's roads, utilities, services, etc. We'll build the wall around the northern boundary of your land. And when we announce you are no longer protected under the umbrella of US military and law enforcement, don't be surprised when Mexico or it's cartels decide to "come take it" from you.
You forgot to tell me to move to Somalia.

Old 07-09-2018, 07:21 AM

Quote:
I don't believe in imaginary government borders, only property borders contractually agreed upon by consenting parties.

My only priorities are property rights and non-aggression.

Selfishness IS a virtue. Prove otherwise.

Walls may be a deterrent, but they are still a waste of money, as taxation is theft.

What you believe in or not is your problem. You apparently were born on the wrong planet.

Old 07-09-2018, 07:35 AM

15,651 posts, read 10,413,163 times
this is an interesting subject. texas appears to be excluded from the Roosevelt 1907 proclamation of an easement between mexico and the USA border. https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Proclamation_758

texas has 1200 miles, more than half, of the USA shared border with mexico. how much of that border land is privately owned? probably most.

I'd never thought about the issue of imminent domain along the border assuming there was a government easement in place like property owners have in cities. thousands of private property issues do seem like a huge hurdle for building the border wall, at least in texas.

Old 07-09-2018, 07:38 AM

18,505 posts, read 9,179,531 times
Quote:
You forgot to tell me to move to Somalia.
If sovereign states are your personal nemesis, then logically you should move to a failed state.

There are also places like Detroit if Somalia doesn’t suit you.

Old 07-09-2018, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I'd never thought about the issue of imminent domain along the border assuming there was a government easement in place like property owners have in cities. thousands of private property issues do seem like a huge hurdle for building the border wall, at least in texas.

Shouldn't be any hurdle at all. And we can let the crackpot have his way and rule out eminent domain. Landowners are given a simple choice - sell your land for market price or we build the wall north of it.

Old 07-09-2018, 07:53 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,797,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
The wall should have been a stand alone bill without attaching a path to citizenship for millions of illegal aliens. Using the latter as a bargaining chip for our national security was unacceptable.
What prevents a stand alone bill making e- Verify of all employees, law?

What prevents a stand alone bill for the wall?

What prevents a stand alone bill for resolution of DACA?

What prevents a bill for a pathway to citizenship?

Congress and Presidents have a thing for the grand bargain. This is how the US has managed to do nothing for more than 30 years. It has not mattered who sat the oval or held the majority.

Politicians and the media that feed off them blame the other party and do so to deflect their inaction. Easier to pit left vs right than to take action.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies